Neck Thru 7 Something

andyt

Time to try building a neckthru this week.

Big ol pile of paduk planks that I used for the JS fretboard, nice an long might make it a 27" scale

IMG_20111012_143002.jpg

Had an ash RG blank sitting around so chopped the middle out.

IMG_20111013_170232.jpg

Gave the bandsaw a tune up the other day, new blade & replaced the bearings & blimey it cut straighish on some resawing

IMG_20111013_154901.jpg

IMG_20111013_160050.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_20111013_161114.jpg

IMG_20111013_155612.jpg

Never worked with spalt before so tips would be good..If i'm going to use a splat top and do some carving do I do any stabilizing before, or wait till its shaped and getting near finish sanding? ie if I stabilize with the CA or epoxy does it only sink in a bit, so as soon as you remove some wood it back to being fresh?

Had a Ibanez ZR 7 string trem sitting around waiting to be used, the routes are completely different from the normal so made a rough test piece

IMG_20111011_155455.jpg

IMG_20111011_155409.jpg

Unfortunately the CA will soak in at different rates depending on how punky the wood is. The softest areas will soak in the most and the more stable areas not so much. If you have really soft areas it will soak in so much that you will likely never sand through it. The parts of the wood that are more normal can be sanded back to fresh wood. You need to stabilize the punky areas before you carve it, or they'll just crumble on you. Then you can shape the top and stabilize the whole thing after rough sanding.

SR

Unfortunately the CA will soak in at different rates depending on how punky the wood is. The softest areas will soak in the most and the more stable areas not so much. If you have really soft areas it will soak in so much that you will likely never sand through it. The parts of the wood that are more normal can be sanded back to fresh wood. You need to stabilize the punky areas before you carve it, or they'll just crumble on you. Then you can shape the top and stabilize the whole thing after rough sanding.

SR

Cheers Scott, just what I was looking for, thanks

Beautiful timbers there!

I've never worked with spalt myself but have heard it's a pain to route, which will support the claim above that it'll crumble when you carve in some spots.

Good luck! Let's see some nice guitars come from that!

Edited by demonx

i am doing a spalted carved top at the moment and quite honestly its a real pain in the arse!

it was all stabilised and thoroughly soaked in thin CA whilst flat - it seemed to soak up a massive amount. then i started carving and after a few mm i was back to punky crumbly wood. so i got the carve roughed in - quite uneven due to the different textures and re soaked with thin CA. that is where i am at now - edge tools are probably not going to be the way forward so its going to take a while

I actually gave this piece of wood to my cousin when he said it should be a carved top. I said there was no way i would try carving it but he was welcome to it. That was about 3 years ago and he never got around to it until a few weeks ago when he asked me to carve it in return for a spray job on the double neck

Ha...that pic looks like a poltergeist is levitating your clamps..

put down the pipe Wes!

Out of the clamps & trimed it down

IMG_20111022_142228.jpg

IMG_20111022_142158.jpg

Thankfully remembered to drill a wiring channel before gluing - 1st neckthru and all.

IMG_20111022_142042.jpg

Postie turned up this morning with 2 big bits of ebony, will cut one up and see if I prefer black or brown..

IMG_20111022_143408.jpg