Bloodwood Finishes?

tjiscooler

Ive got a nice piece of bloodwood I want to use a fretboard. I really love the way the figure looks when its wet/finished and shiny and i want that look on my fretboard too. Can you recommend anything I could use that's fretboard friendly?

I have tru oil, but im afraid it might be a bad idea for the board, most people advise against it. The rest of the guitar will most likely be oiled. Ive used teak oil with good results on boards but it doesn't leave a super shiny slick gloss look. Any tips?

Ive got a nice piece of bloodwood I want to use a fretboard. I really love the way the figure looks when its wet/finished and shiny and i want that look on my fretboard too. Can you recommend anything I could use that's fretboard friendly?

I have tru oil, but im afraid it might be a bad idea for the board, most people advise against it. The rest of the guitar will most likely be oiled. Ive used teak oil with good results on boards but it doesn't leave a super shiny slick gloss look. Any tips?

Behlens Fingerboard Oil - follow the directions the plastic bottle...

I have also used Behlens Teak Oil - follow the directions on the can...

I just used epoxy on my ebony board.It's a new thing for me.What I did was I got a box of those blue powder free rubber gloves and I rubbed the epoxy(24 hour T88) onto the board very sparingly...just rubbed it in with my fingers..Then I took an old bandana and rubbed off any leftover excess.It left a very thin,very nice looking coating which seemed to penetrate well without running all over into places I didn't want it.

I just used epoxy on my ebony board.It's a new thing for me.What I did was I got a box of those blue powder free rubber gloves and I rubbed the epoxy(24 hour T88) onto the board very sparingly...just rubbed it in with my fingers..Then I took an old bandana and rubbed off any leftover excess.It left a very thin,very nice looking coating which seemed to penetrate well without running all over into places I didn't want it.

Interesting... I've got a maple board on a current project I've been wondering whether to clear or oil, maybe epoxy might be worth a shot

Epoxy is a common fretboard finish from what I have read.Oiled maple is tough to keep clean.I cleared a maple board with catalytic varnish and it is holding up fine,but it is tough to get the finish right between the frets(for me anyway)

I am planning to refinish it in just clear in the near future because i have to thin it to reduce some weight anyway.

l.jpg

l.jpg

Thanks for the help! Ive got some west system epoxy ill give a try on some scrap first.

Do you think i should do it before fretting or after? It would be way easier to sand/buff before hand, but i dont want to F it up while crowning....

Edited by tjiscooler

I did it after fretting,since I just rubbed it in...there really isn't any sanding to do,and as far as buffing,it will just be a touch.It's very thin.

I don't have that much advice about it,because this is my first attempt at it.But on the maple board I sprayed the varnish after fretting.I don't know how you would ever fret one without damage if you finished it first.

Boiled linseed? I would recommend raw linseed. Boiling is a misnomer. Nowadays it is chemically treated which partially polymerises it. Although it makes it cure quicker than raw, boiled no longer penetrates the fingerboard as deeply. Treat boiled as a surface film and raw as a conditioner. You get the same look with raw and better long term care.

Edited by Prostheta

Prostheta: I know it's not boiled any more, but that's the name on the can when you look for it. Though you can build up a weak film with it, I'm personally not interested in that at all. I use it 1) to bring out the grain while still being able to feel it, 2) because it cures, so it should last longer than other oils before re-application is needed.

tjiscooler: I bought that aluminum nut on eBay, where I get a LOT of my hardware & electronics. The inlays themselves are mirrored plastic.