Daughter's Guitar

Finally getting back to work.

I re-sawed the headstock faceplate and body cap for her. I also sped things up a little by gluing up an planing the faceplate to thickness. Here it is getting glued onto the blank:

wip028.jpg

The body chamber had already been hogged out with a forstner, so now it's time to smooth out the perimeter and the bottom.

wip029.jpg

wip030.jpg

Since it's getting a cap, it's easier (and a lot less messy) to take out the control cavity on the scrollsaw.

wip031.jpg

There are three things that help the saw cut through thick wood: 1) saw quality, 2) blade selection/quality, and 3) experience. It's EXACTLY like re-sawing with a bandsaw. :D

FWIW: The blade had to be changed out in the middle of the cut, so I just grabbed a leftover "thick wood" blade. Wonder Girl was having trouble controlling the piece with the new blade, so I finished it up for her. There was a significant difference in what was cut with the two blades. The 1st (better quality) was dang neat 90 degrees. The 2nd (junk), was bowed and uneven.

I'm pretty sure that the board crash a couple weeks ago ate a couple of posts. So......

cutting out the body...

wip022.jpg

wip023.jpg

I did the first pass on the router table, trying to show her how to do it and avoid massive tearout. She was really scared to death of it. I understand fear of a spinning cutter sticking out of the table, waiting to rip your finger off and throw it into the corner. I went ahead and routed the body to the template for her.

wip024.jpg

Since she want's it chambered, the next step is hogging out the chamber.

wip025.jpg

wip026.jpg

wip027.jpg

Wonder Girl was having trouble controlling the piece with the new blade, so I finished it up for her. There was a significant difference in what was cut with the two blades. The 1st (better quality) was dang neat 90 degrees. The 2nd (junk), was bowed and uneven.

You're just making excuses for her showing you up! hahahha

On a serious note though, I'll say what I've said already - you must be so proud.

This is a great thread. Guitars coming along nicely.

This is so great. It even inspired me to tell my 15 year old daughter that I wasn't at all going to build her that smaller alto sized acoustic she just dreamed up (and that came from nowhere, shes been playing all sorts of instruments over the years, staying away from guitars completely...). I simply told her she had to do it herself (with some guidance). And she agreed! So thanks for that great inspiration John!

There are three things that help the saw cut through thick wood: 1) saw quality, 2) blade selection/quality, and 3) experience. It's EXACTLY like re-sawing with a bandsaw. :D

FWIW: The blade had to be changed out in the middle of the cut, so I just grabbed a leftover "thick wood" blade. Wonder Girl was having trouble controlling the piece with the new blade, so I finished it up for her. There was a significant difference in what was cut with the two blades. The 1st (better quality) was dang neat 90 degrees. The 2nd (junk), was bowed and uneven.

The saw was the same one you have but I'm pretty sure the blade was bad or I just didn't understand it because the cut came out bowed. I'll keep this in mind for next time.

Very cool thread. My kid is only a few months old and already I'm looking forward to getting him in the shop someday. There's a cool shop a few towns over run by a guy and his two kids. They're both in their mid twenties now and do great work. I've always thought that would be really fun.

Looking good! Seems like she's having a great time.

I'm both surprised and flattered at not only the amount of attention that this project is getting but the type of attention as well. It's really good to see that so many of y'all know what's really important.

Swede: You have to make a build thread of your own. I suggest taking pics of her doing every single step and save them for her. She'll be able to have them as a keepsake. That's the real reason I'm documenting everything: for Wonder Girl.

Swede: You have to make a build thread of your own. I suggest taking pics of her doing every single step and save them for her. She'll be able to have them as a keepsake. That's the real reason I'm documenting everything: for Wonder Girl.

Good idea. I'll try to do that. Some parts has already been done (bending sides, gluing head and end block, kerfed lining partly glued) but I'll try to document the rest.

• 4 weeks later...

We were able to get a couple of ounces of progress today.

Rough-cutting the headstock outline...

wip32.jpg

Like with the body, she wanted me to rout the headstock to the template. She wanted to try it, but chickened out at the last second.

wip33.jpg

marking the depth of the t/r channel on the side of the neck

I use this later when thinning it out

wip34.jpg

gluing on the fretboard...

wip35.jpg

wip36.jpg

• 4 months later...

I haven't made any updates in quite a while! Of course, that doesn't mean nothing has been going on. You can connect the dots from the last progress pics to today...

wenge dot inlays in, fretboard radiused, buffen up to 12K, and liberally soaked in linseed oil

wip42.jpg

body sanded to 220, top dyed blue

wip43.jpg

wip44.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This thread makes me feel super super young :lol: I'm 17. My dad always worked with my brothers on cars and stuff, but I've never held any interest in that. He's a carpenter and I never had any interest in woodworking or guitar building until quite recently. I just graduated high school and never took woodhsop. Biiiiig mistake.

After having some interest in building for a year or two I decided to take the plunge and start my first build this January. He didn't know how to build guitars, but he knew woodworking so all the major woodworking stuff was done in his shop at the hospital he works at and I did all the other stuff at home. Since starting that I've been buying tools and now I have a little workshop of my own in the garage. That build came out pretty decent and now I have the bug. Building guitars would probably still just be an idea if he didn't help me get started.

• 4 weeks later...

She put in every fret all by herself!

wip45.jpg

mostly :rolleyes:

I trimmed them off with the Dremel because it made her nervous. Aside from that, it was all her. The above pic is the process of filing the frets even and beveling the edges.

We also went on to step 2 of the dyeing. She's not enthused yet, but she has little choice but to trust me at this point.

wip46.jpg