Daughter's Guitar

My oldest blood-child (as opposed to step-child) wanted to build a guitar with me. She's actually wanted to do it for a while, but I wanted to wait until she was old enough. I guess 12 is fine, so here we go!

Specs so far:

flamed maple neck

3+3 headstock

sapele accent in scarf joint

zebrawood fretboard

24" scale length

sapele body - Ric 600 body

I made 100% sure that she understood what the deal is: The only things I'll be doing are those few I don't thing she's capable of doing safely. With that, here's Wonder-Girl cutting the scarf:

wip001.jpg

wip002.jpg

planing the accent stripe:

wip003.jpg

gluing the stripe:

wip004.jpg

awesome - letting her cut up a nice piece of flamed maple there

you refer to yours as wonder-girl, in the spirit of comic book geekery i am naming mine violet venables. i blame stan lee. he made everybody who shared an initial in their first and last name sound like a super hero... but i think i am just carrying on my guitar naming tradition

Awesome project! any time you can bond with your kids is great. Plus your never to early to learn how to work with your hands:)

I second the safety glasses and dust mask. I would also take off the rubber bracelets just to be safe. Going to the emergency room always sucks, but taking your kid that a whole different world of things i don't want to do

Very cool! My daughter is almost 18 now :D I took her deer hunting when she was 12. She got a button buck with a crossbow. Bonding time is priceless. Your daughter will remember this time for the rest of her life.

Dude!

Can we refrain from the dead animal pictures???!!!

Not everyone thinks hunting is an acceptable 'sport'.

• Like 1

It's my thread, and I approve. :D There's not a single thing wrong with hunting, so long as the animal is utilized. If it's just killed and left to rot, or bits are taken as a trophy, then it's just going out and killing.

On an instigative note, I doubt you have a suspicion you don't mind seeing the selections in your grocer's meat cooler.....

• Like 1

It's my thread, and I approve. :D There's not a single thing wrong with hunting, so long as the animal is utilized. If it's just killed and left to rot, or bits are taken as a trophy, then it's just going out and killing.

On an instigative note, I doubt you have a suspicion you don't mind seeing the selections in your grocer's meat cooler.....

+1 John,

I have been hunting most of my life. There are times that nuisance animals must be dealt with but from a pure hunting standpoint myself and family, especially my daughter would much rather have a good venison steak from a properly butchered deer that I shot than any piece of beef you can buy. The same goes for turkey, quail, dove,duck and goose. There was a time when my freezer stayed full of game meat. :D

It looks like your daughter is having a great time building her guitar, as well as her time with Dad. Good for the two of you and I commend you for taking the time and the patience. That is a skill(patience) that I lacked back in the day of my children's early teens.

Mike

• Like 1

I appreciate all of the positive sentiments for this project. Any of you fathers, especially my fellow divorced fathers, will understand that the quality time spent sharing what I love with wonder-girl is worth infinitely more than whatever wood/hardware goes into it. Memories and bonding time just don't have a price tag.

I tried something similar with the youngest - my 9 y/o daughter. Her idea of working in the garage with me was hanging out with me, making "mud-pies" from the sawdust while I made the jewelery box. I'll try again with her in a couple of years.

And if we refrained from everything that "not everyone" approved of,conversation would get pretty sparce

We refrain plenty. Usually the second someone calls "Religion".

No matter who started the thread, I think we all have a right to say if we find something offensive and inappropriate. If I thought dog fighting was a fine sport, and posted pictures of a losing mutt, I'm sure people would have plenty to say.

Not trying to be a douche, but I find posting pictures of animals hunted in the name of sport to be inappropriate content for this forum. If consensus is against me on that, fine, but I'll stop visiting and I think that would be a shame.

Not trying to be a douche, but I find posting pictures of animals hunted in the name of sport to be inappropriate content for this forum. If consensus is against me on that, fine, but I'll stop visiting and I think that would be a shame.

So, who said anything about "sport" anyway? I don't hunt for "sport". Hunting is a way of life. If you don't condone, or understand it...that's cool. :D But don't assume, or accuse me of killing animals for fun. Obviously you are offended by the photo. I think you have established that. I don't want to see you "stop visiting" the forum. But, if you dont like looking at the pic, why keep coming back to this particular thread?

My intention was just trying to "share" my Dad/Daughter experience with the person who started this thread to share his Dad/Daughter experience. Not to offend.

• Like 1

lol, I was eating a deer burger while I read this (non-itentional). Classic :D I miss the east coast white tails. Much better table fair than the blackies we have out here. I also can't wait untill my little girl is old enough to hang out in the shop or track a buck with me. Kudo's to both you dads!

Edited by masterblastor
  • Like 1