Neckthru Js

andyt

Started this one last week before the 'dawn of the new ice age' with a paduk glueup leftover. Long enough for a neckthru with a scarfed headstock. Lime wings, quit top

IMG_20111230_121213.jpg

Route down the heal

IMG_20111230_145513.jpg

Getting the body contours sanded

IMG_20120203_140617.jpg

Made a massive ballsup routing the pickups, due to random different pickup routes on the template started routing inbetween the two, wasn't even in the right place to make it a '3 pickup special' so had to thickness down the quilt top by about half its thickness. Cocobolo board glued on

IMG_20120203_140414.jpg

The back of that neck will look great once it's cleared.

Routing the heel just looks like too much hard work! I'd rather chisel it out!

Looking at the p/up routes I assume it's a 7 string?

Hopefully, I like the randomness of the paduk wood/sap rather than straight lines

I thought the router was the easy way? - took 3 mins freehand routing the heal, then hit it with an anglegrinder

Don't know why I made it a 7, I've got loads of 6 string trems but no 7's

Don't know why I made it a 7, I've got loads of 6 string trems but no 7's

Isn't that always the way though? Build something that'll cost a fortune when you've got everything to build a dozen other guitars already?

As far as the router/grinder.... I have never tried it. I was assuming. Nearly every guitar I've made has been neckthru and I've always just done the heel by chisel, file and sander.

I've never tried a grinder but it seems a lot of members on here use them to carve. Do you use a special timber cutting tool or a standard metal grinding disc?

As far as the router/grinder.... I have never tried it. I was assuming. Nearly every guitar I've made has been neckthru and I've always just done the heel by chisel, file and sander.

I've never tried a grinder but it seems a lot of members on here use them to carve. Do you use a special timber cutting tool or a standard metal grinding disc?

I use a 60 grit flap-disk on the grinder when I go that route. Works great.

@ AndyT - Drum tobacco is the BEST stuff ever.

When I was a smoker, I loved it.

Build is looking great. Your guitars amaze me. \m/ \m/

I used to do the grinder with a 40-grit flapwheel. I only use it now for the belly cut. I use 60-grit on the palm sander to smooth out a top carve and even out the neck carve. But for a lot of functions, I've taken to rasps & files lately.

It seems that the longer I do this, the simpler the tool I want to use. :D

RAD - you fountain out so many guitars that the rest of the world could be construed as copying your wood combinations. :D

HA ha ha ha...

Without hijacking you should see the pile of wood I have from this weekend.

AndyT this thing looks great. And from your last build you have inspired me to do a couple padauk fretboards this year.