#4 Has An F-hole

ScottR

Sanded smooth only a couple of slash marks left. These are below the surface of what I originally saw. It looks like ol" bear got pissed and took a swipe. These have mineral spirits wiped on to see what the figure looks like.

IMG_1597.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

By far the most refreshing summer brew I have come across.

IMG_1601.JPG

SR

IMG_1603.JPG

That is looking sweet. Say hello to Bear for me and let him have a scratching post next time :D

Ol'Bear has easy duty these days guarding the TV and watching a couple of little dogs. He took an interest in a bunch of barbeque, blues, and beer this weekend. I'll mention it in your thread.....

SR

Scottttttty,I am loving it.even the raw shaping was looking really cool.Your carving skills are truly a step ahead.I can see you doing a really art slash function piece.High end carving done right ,is really cool on guitars.As always keep up the good work.

Scottttttty,I am loving it.even the raw shaping was looking really cool.Your carving skills are truly a step ahead.I can see you doing a really art slash function piece.High end carving done right ,is really cool on guitars.As always keep up the good work.

Thanks Deanohhh. The idea of adding a carved detail to one of these has been running around in the back of my mind for while. It's just a seed now....no telling how long it will take to germinate, or as Wes says, ferment.

Muzz, thanks and it may take some serious effort to find that brew in Oz. If you do, I'll raise a toast to you from half a planet away. If you don't, let me know and I'll have one in your honor and tell you how good it was. :D

SR

Stupid sandles follow me everywhere.

As for the gouges my current plan is to go ahead and dye the body with them raw and then fill them with epoxy. Probably I'll end up sealing the entire top with epoxy so the lacquer will be sticking to the same surface over the whole top. Then hide or cover completely with the burst. They are one of the reasons for using a tinted burst over a dyed burst.

I am open to other suggestions.....

SR

You should have just cleared over that without any sanding. It would have been pretty cool :D

Seriously, you should consider putting some sort of inlay where those claw marks are B)

I wonder how abusive those tool marks would be to a forearm though. :D

I do have some abalone left, maybe I'll cut a couple of pieces to match the the claw marks and see how it looks after dyeing. Or maybe just shape the f-hole like the slash marks and carry on the theme.

SR

Inlays change it from a defect into a feature. :D

True enough, and making these a feature has been an option I have entertained since the first discovery of these. Now that I have gotten rid of most of them --there are actually 3-- I'm not sure they are a feature I want. Because of the locations, there stands a very good chance I can make them disappear. I have to keep the feature option open however, and test and experiment all the way through the finishing phase to insure that whichever direction it ends up going looks like it belongs.

SR

Edited by ScottR

So far it is awesome.

I expected a bit more recurve in the top.

That said I think it is going to be super comfortable with a nice flow to it. And a bit more original I think.

I wouldn't leave the gouge marks in a piece of maple that nice... however I would like to see a gouge top on some plain maple with a little black stain rubbed in for contrast. I would keep the gouge marks uniform though... all running from the center to the edge. Now I am just rambling...

So far it is awesome.

I expected a bit more recurve in the top.

That said I think it is going to be super comfortable with a nice flow to it. And a bit more original I think.

I wouldn't leave the gouge marks in a piece of maple that nice... however I would like to see a gouge top on some plain maple with a little black stain rubbed in for contrast. I would keep the gouge marks uniform though... all running from the center to the edge. Now I am just rambling...

Thanks.

The plan ws to stay away from recurve as musch as possilbe on this one....just a slightly more modern touch to a shape that is mostly classic.

I may have to do a top with tool marks intact sometime. It depends on the wood of course, but many times the cuts go the direction the wood tells you to, lest you get tear out or splintering. I can picture what you are saying about the stain for contrast, maybe even singe the edges for a NotYou touch.

SR

I rekon your burst approach is on the money. I was thinking inlay for those gouges a few days back, but an inlay that would cover them properly would probobly be too big & look out of place on that horn. Would kill the flow from the body & ruin your lines in my opinion.

Stick with the current plan

Here are four rough versions that could become my F-hole.

Do any of these work as they are or with modifications......or is this a stupid idea for this guitar?

IMG_1603.JPGIMG_1605.JPGIMG_1607.JPGIMG_1608.JPG

When I was dreaming up this guitar I could picture it in my head and it looked cool. With the exception of the slashes in the top it is still matching my mental image to this point of construction. I'm not sure my mental F-hole has come into focus enough to make a reality. :D

Maybe I need to keep working on the design....or maybe I need to change the name of my thread.

SR

All of them are way too big for the guitar's size/shape. $0.02.

Chris

+3

I would start with shrinking the lower left corner one and moving it down a bit.

Follow the body carve.

You can always make it bigger :D can't make it smaller

The bottom right looks a bit to tribal for the body design.

Most of you saw the same thing I did when looking at the pics: too big. Oddly enough they felt just right when I was drawing them out, but definitely too big in the pics.

John the cat's eye look has occurred to me as well and I think it would go well with the shape.....but I didn't want it to look just like a Rickenbacker. And that is an arguement that won't stand up either, when you consider that I'm playing with traditional F-hole shapes as well as modified versions. :D

I'll try on some more petite renderings tonight and see if anything grabs me.

An idea occurrs to me right now that changes my original idea quite a bit....and yet may be able to keep a bit of it in play.

hmmmm.

SR