#4 Has An F-hole

ScottR

Do you go on to use rasps after the gouges, or do you try to sand it out?

How light is that cedar?

I did carefully hit a few spots with a rasp but there wasn't much room to work without damaging the horns.

This cedar is quite light. This was the lightest board I found in the rack. Maybe the heavier ones are not quite so soft. I'm used to working very hard woods and this soft piece is very strange to me.

As it sits right now this is between 5 and 6 lbs.....I think. My scale is cheap and old.

SR

This is just beautiful, Scott. I just love your back carves! They make the instrument seem so completed and organic. I will definitely be doing something similar on my next build.

Also loving the through-body F hole is coming out. The bevels on the front are a cool touch, they really give it a lot of depth.

Edited by mattharris75

This is just beautiful, Scott. I just love your back carves! They make the instrument seem so completed and organic. I will definitely be doing something similar on my next build.

Also loving the through-body F hole is coming out. The bevels on the front are a cool touch, they really give it a lot of depth.

Don't knock cheap and old. I am both. It looks great. I am with you to forge ahead witht he dye job.

Riffle....this IS looking pretty dang sweet! I can't wait to come over and get my hands on it!

Everything about everything is looking better than the last build. And speaking as someone who got to play your last build...if this one surpasses that one, it's going to be one serious instrument!

I'm jealous of that piece of Maple. I'd sure give it some thought to keeping that thing natural as well. What ARE you thinking of doing with it?

BTW...I used the one you built for me at two auditions over the weekend, drawing "oooohhh's and aaahhh's" from both different groups. Now if I could just get them to do that about MY PLAYING of the guitar..... :D

Thanks Matt. I look forward to seeing that.

this build is amazing! may i ask how you polished the fretboard? I must of missed reading about it. I cant wait to see this all dyed and finished

The fretboard was just sanded up through the grits to 600 and then moving over to micromesh all the way up to 12000. That stuff puts an amazing polish on raw wood. I'm glad you like it.

SR

• Like 1

Riffle....this IS looking pretty dang sweet! I can't wait to come over and get my hands on it!

Everything about everything is looking better than the last build. And speaking as someone who got to play your last build...if this one surpasses that one, it's going to be one serious instrument!

I'm jealous of that piece of Maple. I'd sure give it some thought to keeping that thing natural as well. What ARE you thinking of doing with it?

BTW...I used the one you built for me at two auditions over the weekend, drawing "oooohhh's and aaahhh's" from both different groups. Now if I could just get them to do that about MY PLAYING of the guitar..... :D

Hook, this is going to be red with black burst. The plan is to carry the burst over the sides and onto the back....a little. the Spanish cedar is kind of plain. I plan to sand up some off cuts and test this week.

Nevin, old and cheap rocks. I prefer to call it experienced. :D

SR

I just read through this entire thread last night. I dont know how I missed it. This is awesome looking. I love the back carve and the taper its got around the sides. And thumbs up on using the carving gouges. Theres something about carving on wood with a nice sharp gouge that cant be described. I cant wait to see it done.

I just read through this entire thread last night. I dont know how I missed it. This is awesome looking. I love the back carve and the taper its got around the sides. And thumbs up on using the carving gouges. Theres something about carving on wood with a nice sharp gouge that cant be described. I cant wait to see it done.

That must have taken a minute or twenty. Wow. I'm glad you like it. I've seen evidence in the background of some or your pics that say you're pretty comfortable with a gouge in your hand as well. Hopefully this will end up as nice as the two you've got going.

SR

Did you ever have one of those weeks where you worked your ass off and the only thing you've got to show for it is.....well......less ass? I cut the butt end of my maple billet into quarter inch slices so I could test various dye combinations. the stupid things were fuzzy as hell and took most of the weekof after work hours to get two ready for testing. And they did not come out purdy....but I did learn what I wanted to know.

IMG_1667.JPG

One thing I was looking at was how to grain fill the Spanish cedar. I had some water based sanding sealer that filled fairly quickly. Since it was water based it took some mahogany trans tint dye nicely.

I also learned I did not need a dark black to start my quilted to sand back. I originally tested bordeaux, mahogany and black, and backed down to a less intense bordeaux and mahogany.

IMG_1660.JPG

I wanted the whole thing to have harmonies of similar colors so I dyed everything but the ebony.

IMG_1665.JPG

HOLY HELL WHAT HAVE I DONE!

The thing looks like I'm trying to turn it into purple heart.

Then I hung it up to dry while I worked on the test blocks and after about a half hour it fell down. I've hung four guitars on the same get-up and that has never happened before. It gave me a flat spot to fix.

IMG_1662.JPG

It surely could have been worse.....and it surely sounded worse when it hit the ground!

SR

I sanded it back....hard. Another thing I learned from the tests is you don't need much from the first dark layer to give your colors depth.

IMG_1669.JPG

The back got a little closer to normal too. Just some hints of color.

IMG_1670.JPG

Then I laid in some amber. This is pretty cool as is.

IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG

SR

That was a pretty hot look, but it was just a middle step, maybe on the next one.... it kind of reminded me of a tiger striped thing Perry did a while back. This one is trying to be red.

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1676.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

These test blanks still look like ass...but one of them has a couple of splits that I filled with z-poxy and then used the same to seal the top. Every test piece has needed a good sealing. The open pores in the quilt just suck the finish in and asks for more. The first few coats of clear look terrible because the dark areas just suck it all in. I'm going to have to seal the top with shellac and then fill the gashes with z-poxy....which will likely need to be spread over the whole top for consistency.

IMG_1680.JPG

SR

I am stealing this idea. Sorry... you are not getting any royalties but I will have an "Amber Fire" finish this year. That is sick.

That was a pretty hot stage. The red looks much better than my pictures too......

I will likely add some amber back in, and the first stage of the burst is to airbrush some black dye aound the edges of the front and back. That has to wait till the back and sides are grain filled. And the more I stare at the gouges, the more tempted I am to leave them as is....just clear it and let them be. I'm just not sure I'll like the light reflection off the edges if left that way.

Dean, WM, Muzz, thanks guys. This thing is still throwing challenges at me every step of the way....like throwing itself off the hanger. Damn that was loud. Here's to keeping the demon caged up inside. :D

SR