Project S9 Continued...

I'd have thought you'd just cnc them since you've got the machine now? Or is that too time consuming?

Very time consuming. Pushing a .026 end mill through cocobolo is a recipe for disaster. Those bits are expensive... breaking them sucks. I would end up with different feed rates for different woods which means more time in front of the computer and less time building. Some guys have done it and can manage the high IPM but with my machine I would end up pushing about 30 IPM with a .005" cut. It would take like a sh*t ton passes for each slot to get it deep enough... just not worth the aggravation.

The new template system should work all the time. Very repeatable. Very fast. It is faster than the old Stew Mac system as I don't have to make sure the fretboard is square (up against the fence) as the guide takes care of that for me.

I might start doing all my fretboards with this system if it proves accurate enough.

Sounds good, but then would also require a change over of all templates! Even more work!

Funny!

The templates use a .125 in end mill and I can cut one in about 10 minutes... so no worries. I will cut them as I need them.

Then I will have to figure out were to store them...

Then I will build a new shelf and stick them there...

Then I will forget which ones I have cut and cut new ones... identical to the others...

Then I will find the pile of templates and not trust them and cut a new one....

Facepalm...

I remember seeing Erik doing this. Your jig is made for more repeatability IMO. Good job. I have only made one multiscale before (or doing it right now, its in the finish booth) and I don't think I want to make another one the way I made this, old school, print out, use a square as guide and cut by hand. Next time I'll make a multiscale I'll ask how much you want to make the fretboard for me.

Headstock wings. And the contraption I am going to use for trussrod access. I

want a really small hole in the headstock so I don't need a trussrod cover. I

have had a hard time getting them right by hand so I am borrowing this jig from

the Telecaster guys.

IMG_20130303_103044_zps6a751a94.jpg

IMG_20130303_103022_zps453fd3cc.jpg

Robo Rad is lookin good. get all the kinks sorted finaly ?

Who did you get the truss rods from ?

Robo RAD is surviving until Guitar Logistics has the cash to put it out on the street... 3 motors in one season.

Trussrods came from WD. http://www.wdmusic.com/ of course I have a business account with them... and they come from wdbiz.com same company. Good guys.

3 motors in a season ? you must pm me the make of that machine so I dont get caught out. im hoping to have one sorted this year.

but still, regardless of tooling issues, gitir is lookin good so far. has a funky vibe or something goin on, you can already tell its gonna be a bitch to let go

3 motors in a season ? you must pm me the make of that machine so I dont get caught out. im hoping to have one sorted this year.

but still, regardless of tooling issues, gitir is lookin good so far. has a funky vibe or something goin on, you can already tell its gonna be a bitch to let go

Probotix Fireball Comet. The guys there are really great but we are all baffled by why my motors keep dying. They swear I am barely scratching the surface of the limits of the machine. We suspect a bad batch of motors though...

As for the guitar having a funny vibe. Yeah it has a real "thing" going on...you can feel it while working on it. I can see the finished guitar in my head and I hope it turns out close.

As for the guitar having a funny vibe. Yeah it has a real "thing" going on...you can feel it while working on it. I can see the finished guitar in my head and I hope it turns out close.

Yea, it stands out a mile. It one of those gitirs you see in a store & just have to buy, its like a chick wit a 32GG chest - you just want to get your hands on it.

Bad motors are a posability, place I used to work in went tru 4 in the space of 10 days. Needless to say the managers were not happy :D turned out the magnets had de-bonded from their casings on all of them & got mangeled.

do you fint it a good machine otherwise ?