Project S9 Continued...

Questions on the tele-like s/c:

If you're going with a half-bridge, why have the notck in the p/g?

What's your plan for mounting the bridge pup without the long bridge?

2 reasons.

I like the notch.

And.

I think the production model will come with a real full length tele bridge. I am toying with the idea of reversing the slant on the bridge pickup as well. Using a left handed plate with a right handed guitar.

The bridge pickup gets a piece of J-Bass Pickup Foam under it and 3 #2 x 3/4" stainless screws to hold it in.

The half bridge was just an impulse buy. I am trying out a bunch of new products from Kluson to see if they are any good.

Nice. B-)

I have 2 beater teles on the bench at the moment aswell, but I dont think they will look as well done as these.

Are you gona leav the maple fretboard raw/oil or put a clear over it ?

This one gets clear. The second might just get oil. But the first is going to get handed around alot so it needs some protection and since the idea is to make it look like a broadcaster it needs vintage tinted lacquer on the neck.

As far as these Teles go just think what would Billy F Gibbons play?

A note on the pickups. This model will use the dual blade pickups built with parts from Mojotone. They are wound to Diablo specifications (my main pickup line).

I think the high end version will have custom built blades I build from scatch. The ones I build from scratch are more solid, tighter fit/finish look, and have different blade material.

Very Clever.

Thanks!

The S9 always has slanted tuning keys anyway so it was not to far a stretch. I could have pretended it was intentional... but it was definitley an oops. I am goint to think hard about the production model. In the end I will probably go with a normal spacing so I can line up the plates.

In the end I will probably go with a normal spacing so I can line up the plates.

I really hate how tuning keys are so large...I am forever trying to get them as close together as I can without them hitting each other.Large headstocks just look strange to me.

Right. I get it. Not a fan of large headstocks either except when they are expected on clones of production guitars.

I am not a fan of keys pointing away from the wrist position when you are tuning. But I always try to angle them so that your wrist is in a good position while tuning.

Sealed in CA? I thought you didn't do that........

I also don't get why one would choose the 3 barrel bridge? Doesn't that make you compromise on intonation? Is there some sort of mojo in it?

On the other hand it looks like it would be one hell of a player, like it's looking for the nearest roadhouse so it can pick up some tobacco and whiskey stains. How do your pups sound?

SR

That looks absolutely wicked, RAD. Far more than any Tele-derived guitar should do. Seems we might be sliding into a Fender fugue again. Funny how cyclic this board is sometimes.

I also don't get why one would choose the 3 barrel bridge? Doesn't that make you compromise on intonation? Is there some sort of mojo in it?

On the other hand it looks like it would be one hell of a player, like it's looking for the nearest roadhouse so it can pick up some tobacco and whiskey stains. How do your pups sound?

SR

Yeah, there is quite a compromise with the intonation however you can buy compensated barrels. If you think that's bad, have a look at the '51 P-Bass bridge. I'm building two of those - one vintage and one modernised - and thankfully have decided against those things. Mojo? Sorry, I missed the punchline man. :)

Sealed in CA? I thought you didn't do that........

SR

When I do Basswood, Poplar, or in this case Pine I use CA because it is faster/less work than my epoxy. I don't use CA on expensive exotics anymore because of discoloration, pin holes, greying, smoking, bubbles in voids... etc.

The three barrel bridge was intended to preserve the Tele Mojo. However I built the dual blades for it and shot that all to hell. Then added the neck with the 15in radius and wicked silly trapezoid profile. It ummm... feels like one of my guitars more than a tele (as intended). I haven't finsihed with the three barrel though. I am going to cut the barrels so that the intonation is better. I will say this though the guitar intonated almost perfect last night when I ran it against the strobe. It is out only enough I can tell. Joe or Mo would never catch it.

I only used CA to help harden the Pine. The pine is so soft that it takes fingernail marks... The other body I used epoxy to seal but I messed up the mix and it is not curing... I had to scrape it off and stick it on the shelf. I doubt I put much more work into the Pine bodies other than to sand and finish this one.

Haven't been able to listen to the pickups through anything but the ADA MP1 and AKG headphones. I think they are going to be spot on. I have built several strat versions of the dual blade and have the winding count/style dead on to match my Diablo humbuckers.

Yeah research.

The guitar is acoustically loud right now with little to no finish on it. It is really overly alive \m/. The pickups are not potted and it really has no finish. I stuck some Ernie Ball Cobalt .010s on it (I hate these strings) and it has tons of pop. I found myself repeating the opening riff to "copperhead road" for some reason.

That looks absolutely wicked, RAD. Far more than any Tele-derived guitar should do. Seems we might be sliding into a Fender fugue again. Funny how cyclic this board is sometimes.

SR

Yeah, there is quite a compromise with the intonation however you can buy compensated barrels. If you think that's bad, have a look at the '51 P-Bass bridge. I'm building two of those - one vintage and one modernised - and thankfully have decided against those things. Mojo? Sorry, I missed the punchline man. :)

Mojo. Wicked. Nice words to use. I like those words. That is what I intended.

I am telling you it screams to be picked up. The problem right now is the identity crisis the guitar has.

Now can I get people to buy one.

Seems we might be sliding into a Fender fugue again.

Watch your tongue. You know I am more a gibson guy... who builds super strats :blush . I try to uphold the Gibson elite craftsman vibe while using my CNC like Leo would have. Guitars are not tools but art <cough>. Those flat machine made things Fender produced were tools... (I love my Telecaster though). And I spent weeks trying to gather the vibe into something modern....

I am mired in contradiction

I had a gut feeling you were gonna be surprised at the sound of the pine.

Good call.

After logging an hour or two on it yesterday on the Mesa I was amazed. It is woody and resonant. The pickups KILL. They go from clean to destruction with a touch of the volume knob. The orange drop cap makes the tone almost usable (and I hate tone knobs).