Project S9 Continued...

"Time for decals. No more water slide decals for me"

I must admit I dont know much about decals- I am assuming you are saying you are going to another type of decal? que pasa?

Those look like rub-ons to me. There was a couple of years that I made my living setting text with rub-on lettering......many moons ago.

SR

Nope. New technique I picked up at TDPRI.

Laser printer set to best quality printed in reverse. Then you lay it down and rub the back of the paper with lacquer thinner soaked rag. Be careful not to run too much. Once the paper is soaked it is ready. Too much or too little gives mixed results. Leave it until all the lacquer thinner evaporates and carefully peel it off. And you have professional looking transfer for a dime.

It takes a few times to get it figured out and if it goes bad it is a bitch to sand back off. I am getting better at it and the results almost match the water slide decals. The problem with the water slide decals other than the edges was trapped moisture under the decal. Lacquer would cause the decal to blush and fog. Other issue was obvious on an oil finish guitar there was nothing to trap the decal under.

I can tell you they are hard to get off. I had to sand the first batch off with 220 followed by 400 grit and mineral spirits.

You can control the look of the transfer by using different bond paper. On the Blackguard I used a heavy bond rough surface and the transfers look old and worn. On the S9 I use a light bond smooth finish and the lines are much sharper.

Cheers!

I know I said I don't do repairs but I got this classical Breedlove for pennies. It had a huge crack in the top and several loose braces.
Couldn't find a baloon so I used a nitrile glove as a clamp for loose braces after working some glue under the braces.
IMG_20131126_142057_zps568e147d.jpg
IMG_20131126_142100_zps7f0eceeb.jpg
IMG_20131126_142106_zps63c0095a.jpg
IMG_20131126_142109_zps91bb63a5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...