Project S9 Continued...

nice job on colossus RAD. Curious- how much did it weigh?

Not bad a little less than the Ibanez 6 string bass

Because of the bridges and the need for weight to offset the neck the body is a little thicker. On the next one I am going to make changes to the neck and body to try and get the weight down to a normal S9+ a pound or two. So 6 - 8 lbs.

(I was busy skydiving last Sunday)

Does that urge come over you often?

I have kicked the idea of doing that around for many years now. I still haven't decided if the idea is cool as hell or dumb as sh!t.

I'm pretty sure I'd say yes if the opportunity walked up and slapped me upside the head though.

Bass looks great in that case. Did roboRad make the cavities?

SR

(I was busy skydiving last Sunday)

Does that urge come over you often?

I have kicked the idea of doing that around for many years now. I still haven't decided if the idea is cool as hell or dumb as sh!t.

I'm pretty sure I'd say yes if the opportunity walked up and slapped me upside the head though.

Bass looks great in that case. Did roboRad make the cavities?

SR

The skydiving was a B-day present for the misses turning 40. I went to make sure she jumped. We had a blast and plan on doing it some more.

Yes roboRAD did all the work on this one. It also killed the first body... one of these days.

Man I wish I could find black limba over here, Lots of white - no black - suks.

Bass looks excellent. I taught that would have been a big heavy shoulder dislocating beast :party

Thanks. It is not too heavy. But it is BIG!

Where did you get the case with blank foam for the bass?

http://www.roadcasesusa.com They are very nice. Talk to Rosa Rivellini and tell her I sent you (Brett from Guitar Logistics)

I made a scarf setup a couple years ago for the mitre saw but it was too dodgy, I went back to bandsaw and jointer.

What you've done there looks great. Are you still having to run it over the jointer after the cut?

I think if I was going to do a radial arm jig for scarf cuts I'd just buy a saw and set it up permanently so I didn't have to change blades and screw down fences etc.

Also, that burl guitar is looking great. I still think its my favourite if all the guitars I've seen you build. Good stuff mate. Good stuff

Thanks.

Scarfs cut using my scarf joint jig and the radial arm saw do not need to be run through the joiner. Worst I ever do to them is use a 120 grit sanding block to knock some slight blade marks out.

I do use a nice CMT or Freud thin kerf blade that cuts super clean. I am going to redo the jig a little heavier and it will reduce the flex and make it more accurate than it already is.

Yeah you have to be able to trust the saw to cut perfect. If you remember I was pretty worried when mine developed some play. I was lucky and it adjusted right out.

Tightening 4 allen heads is pretty easy and there is no reason to setup a seperate saw just for this. I use the same saw for fretslotting as well.

Not that anyone really cares but I just scored 4 steinberger leg rests from Riceage music for the upcoming headless builds at $50 bucks each with free shipping. This part is the most elusive headless part I know of. JCustom makes them in Korea and they sell for $48.99 + $28.00 shipping each. That is a lot to pay for a simple piece of drop forged aluminum and spring steel.

I want to start making them myself but I just haven't gotten around to it. If anyone does and thinks they can sell them for less than $50 bucks a piece let me know as I will buy them.

Tightening 4 allen heads is pretty easy and there is no reason to setup a seperate saw just for this. I use the same saw for fretslotting as well.

I'm trying to reduce job times, not add extra jobs.

If I have to change a blade, remove the slotting jig and screw down the scarf jig, then what I'm doing is already much faster. If I have a seperate saw set up with its own blade and jig ready to go with zero setup time as its a dedicated item, then that is a time saver.

Then if I say it takes half an hour to set up from fret slot to scarf and back to fret slot again.

If I look at that time as money then it'll pay for itself after six to eight guitars.

If you are trying hard to make the most of your time and have the space do it!

I just don't have the space.

So I just got crazy over at cooks woods. They had a special on figured Mahogany and I needed some so I bought a few pieces... of course I then ended up with a piece of Madrone burl in my cart... that lead to this ending up in my cart.

25670-2-3_zps39e1baea.jpg

Man I have trouble controlling myself.

Sweet! Do you already know what it's going to become, or are you just going to stare at it and drool for a while?

SR

It is big enough to be about 3 bookmatched guitar tops so I think it will be more than one thing.

I am trying to figure out what to build with it... probably going to live on the shelf until something comes to me. I do have a black limba T9 (tele) planed but the neck is pretty plain on it so it would be a waste to use such a sick burl redwood top on it.

Dang you Rad! I have looked on that site every other day for a long time for madrona burl big enough for a guitar! They rarely have it.

It is not the prettiest piece but it was cheap and hte Laguna is accurate enough to bookmatch it.

23-1/2″ x 8-5/8″ x 5/8″

25894-1.jpg

Not that anyone really cares but I just scored 4 steinberger leg rests

You should be able to get RoboRad to whip those things out for you easy enough. Make em out of off cuts laminated to make funky lookin things you can flog to other headless heads. to be honest you could probobly just rough em on the bandsaw & finish em with rasps & paper even faster.