Guitars Are Like Buses...

.... you take ages to finish anything - then two come together at the same time!!!

Been a bit difficult to get anything done for the last year or so due to 2 changes in career and a new baby being born

It has literally been over a year since i finished my last guitar build (although i have done a few resto's in that time) - now i have 2 fender style hybrids entering their final lap at roughly the same time

gwemjaun1.jpg

The Wezo-Sonic

This one is a mix of the different duo-sonic designs. So its the mustang/duo-sonic2 offset body shape with a pick guard modelled after the duo-sonic1, control layout spaced out a bit more for strat style volume swellability - but its all ended up a bit more like a late 70's Music Master - although i would say its a fair bit cooler than that :D

Stratele

i have been waiting to use this bit of english walnut for a while - there was some debate about covering it with a black scratchplate, but i think it works better than it would without. * Its mostly a strat body shape, about 1/4" shorter and with tele upper bout. Allparts strat neck veneered with walnut on the headstock and recarved to a V into C profile - cut down tele bridge, TSS pickup and custom control layout

and an awesome oil and wax finish!!!

wax3.jpg

• 1 month later...

I would say that your work is constantly improving time after time Wez. That Stratele is near as damnit perfect. The WezO-Sonic looks cool for it's awesome bulletproof rawness. Usual questions apply - anything you would have done better in these builds, etc? Is that a silver/black waterslide decal on there?

I would say that your work is constantly improving time after time Wez. That Stratele is near as damnit perfect. The WezO-Sonic looks cool for it's awesome bulletproof rawness. Usual questions apply - anything you would have done better in these builds, etc? Is that a silver/black waterslide decal on there?

yeah, its a waterslide - i got this style for some gibson style black headstock i was doing a few years ago, but they seem to work nicely on most things.

there are always things that can be done better but my main issue at the moment is that everything is taking far too long!!

i must admit i am preferring simpler guitars these days. i still appreciate a nice bit of lamination with fancy woods and highlights, and i still like mucking about with different techniques. but looking back over the last 10 years building guitars i can honestly say the best ones have been the simpler ones

my top 5 from me would be:

stratele-1.jpg

fb11.jpg

TF4.jpg

LPJfin1.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

• Like 1

I second that list. They are most certainly worthy of a portfolio.

Your English Walnut looks fantastic under oil and reminds me far too much of Koa. Om nom nom, etc. Short of the Rosewood, that instrument could happily be classed as a candidate for sustainable materials. Shame there is no composite equivalent of Rosewood as of yet. Yet. (vague Johnny Dangerously reference)

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, its a waterslide - i got this style for some gibson style black headstock i was doing a few years ago, but they seem to work nicely on most things.

there are always things that can be done better but my main issue at the moment is that everything is taking far too long!!

i must admit i am preferring simpler guitars these days. i still appreciate a nice bit of lamination with fancy woods and highlights, and i still like mucking about with different techniques. but looking back over the last 10 years building guitars i can honestly say the best ones have been the simpler ones

my top 5 from me would be:

stratele-1.jpg

fb11.jpg

TF4.jpg

LPJfin1.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

Where would you put that clean black LPRS thing you did a couple of years back?

The Stratele is beautiful by the way.

SR

You know those rare occasions when you see a guitar & think to yourself "Jesus, I wish id built that"

You just made my whole week man !!

that is quite a compliment - thanks!

Where would you put that clean black LPRS thing you did a couple of years back?

The Stratele is beautiful by the way.

SR

that one i never quite saw as finished, but it was the first go at a proper carve top i was actually happy with the contours on and it is a damn sexy guitar. It was made for a friend about 2 years ago, unfortunately he died suddenly just over a year ago from very advanced leukaemia that he was not aware of.

just a week before that i had it back in to consider his his latest set of adjustments, he was suddenly finding it a bit too heavy and wondered if there was anything to do. it wasnt a light guitar, but since his other 2 were a 70's yamaha SG 2000 and a 90's les paul studio it was within the weight range he was used to. possibly one of those signs that pointed out something wasn't quite right - but hindsight is 20:20