Searls Guitars Build Thread

demonx

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit more detailed neck carving today and getting the heel to feel more comfortabnle:

IMG_4864small_zpsb528c3de.jpg

Also decided the knot in the wenge was annoying me, so I filed a bit of scrap wenge for the shavings and mixed it into some epoxy:

IMG_4862small_zps8f3111b5.jpg

Preparing to radius:

IMG_4902small_zps1e8ae8ec.jpg

Checking the radius after about a hundred or so strokes with 80 grit:

IMG_4905small_zps811f0c70.jpg

Bit of a scrub up with 120 grit and then air hose out the slots:

IMG_4906small_zpsefedc6e6.jpg

Final clean up with a razor blade to remove the glue from the binding:

IMG_4908small_zpsde697240.jpg

Half way:

IMG_4910small_zps14225bc8.jpg

Time to get out of the shed, it's too damn hot:

IMG_4914small_zps77b05367.jpg

Were they anodised? The toggle switches could easily be disassembled for the same treatment if the existing coating is not a problem.

Glad the blue isn't just on a single feature. Having it across the board ties the whole thing together nicely. Never seen this combination of colours before, oddly.

This is Don, a friend of mine (and fellow project guitar member) who I'll be teaching everything I know so he can help me out - if he sticks at it. Here he is sanding the first carve top he's ever attempted. Turned out great.

625631_430587380356435_403456460_n.jpg

While he was working on that and the next top he carved, I was doing fiddly stuff like drilling holes for "glow in the dark" side dots:

525393_430589120356261_1731857089_n.jpg

164398_430589423689564_712279849_n.jpg

I wont be changing the frets any time soon.

480157_431732803575226_1146285617_n.jpg

Started the paint process today.

Sanded the whole guitar down with 80 grit to smooth outy any file marks or rough carving marks etc. Basically just a tidy up.

Followed this with a 120 and then 320 sand to remove the previous grit scratches. Followed by an intensive airhose to remove all dust.

I then hung the guitar on a rack and mixed up some west System Epoxy which I rubbed all over the entire guitar by hand whilst wearing Nitrile gloves. I'll leave it for a few days, sand and repeat this process to fill all the pores in these African timbers.

You are so accomplished with a paint gun and turn out so many painted guitars, that it throws me a bit when you say you started the paint process whilst I'm looking at this guitar of so many great timbers and colors.

You are referring to the finishing process or the spraying of the clear coat in this case are you not?

And that brings me to the next question. Do you always go straight to 320 after 120, skipping 220 altogether? You don't find it takes longer to get 120 scratches out with 320?

SR

Scott: it'll be clear only. The customer wanted a burst on it, I said NO!

With grits, it depends on the timbers and how they react. I just work with it according to how it's treating me on the day, but most if the time I'll go 40 or 80, 120, 320, then through the first paint stages 320, then 600 then after final clears straight to wet sanding with 2000 and 3000

• 2 weeks later...

To bring things up to speed, after letting it hang and harden right up for a week I sanded the first epoxy coat back to wood with 120 grit with a random orbital and by hand in the tricky bits, then smoothed it somewhat with 320 grit again with the random orbital.

Then I re epoxied using my hands again with nitrile gloves on. After hanging for yet another week I hand sanded the entire thing with 320 grit. As its epoxy I've used as a sealer and primer on this one I am leaving it at 320 to allow the clear coat more sdhesion. I'm still experimenting with this epoxy product and seeing what it is and isnt capable of, but I have a gut feeling that if I level it much more than 320 then de lamination of the clear coat risk is increased. Besides, the clear coat fills the 320 scratches quite nicely.

After the sanding and before the spraying, I Prepsol'd the entire guitar. Prepsol is a special wax and grease remover by PPG for use during the paint process. For anyone who has never used prepsol, its important to use, yet if you dont wipe it all off, then your paint can delaminate, as if you leave an invisable film of prepsol on the surface then your clear coat adhesion is hindered. I once spoke to a spray painter who was painting a commercial aircraft where the apprentice prep guy didnt wipe any of the prepsol off properly. An entire aircraft had to be sanded and resprayed!

This is a clear coat I started trialling last year and I've been using it since. It's meant to be a top shelf European product as opposed to the USA and Australian brands I usually use. Once I adjusted to the different way it sprays I've been getting great results from it.

269340_438652302883276_1142582690_n.jpg

The first of the final session of two clear coats:

179056_438652322883274_1489400843_n.jpg