3Rd Explorer Prototype, Zebrawood

Pros,

Yessir, I am am extremely happy with this design and the way it feels and plays. You would have thought that ESP could have thought up something better than their horrible take after the lawsuit.

Paulie,

I am thinking about coloring it. I will have to see once i get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I think this new design is an very well-realised development on the Explorer design, the headcap niggles me a little. I don't think that the underlying laminations look very good being revealed over the bevel. A thicker Zebrano headcap which encompasses the entire bevel and leaves about another 1mm flat on the side seems more graceful. It makes the headcap look like a "weaker" design feature and the laminations the "strong" element which is backwards way on given which faces they occupy.

Whilst I know the thickness of the Zebrano is in keeping with the way the body is carved, this seems like the only way you could truly improve this design. Not detracting or criticising, especially since this isn't anything that can be "fixed" at this stage....just pointing out that this is damn near perfect! That is the only thing I could even consider altering.

Fingerboard? My head screams "self-bound Ziricote with a pinstripe that reflects the contrast in the Zebrano such as Maple". Yes, my head often screams long descriptions.

At least the joins are clean, even, and repeat the pattern at a rate that doesn't make it look like an afterthought. I'd say it doesn't detract from the look on stability of the headstock as much as it would have had it just been haphazardly stuck on there without any sort of repetition of pattern in mind.

I sort of agree with both of you. It's not a deal killer or anything, but it does feel excessively busy to me. On the other hand we are looking at individual pieces and not the whole picture so to speak. Once it is all put together it may look like a brilliantly designed cohesive unit, with each feature balanced by similar elements elsewhere.

.....the last one certainly did....

SR

Wow, that was definitely one thing i didnt think would be so visually distracting to everybody. I liked it, and was kind of the reason why i did it like that. But when 3 of 3 people say NO!, i guess its more than just opinion, haha!

I guess i could have put a 1/8" piece of mahogany on first, then put the veneer on that.

Now i kind of have a feeling this one wont have nearly the same overall flow and match that the last one did.

Pros,

I thought about ziricote. I probably should have just gone with that. What i went with isnt going to match very much.

Still deciding on whether or not i want to use binding on it. We shall see, we shall see.

Well you'll have to build more of these then Luis! :-D

No, I think it is great as it is however I always looks at these things as a set of balances. Revealing laminations can work really nicely and it does in many ways on this one however it detracts from the weight of the face. Only my opinion anyway. This is your baby.

I suggested binding purely as an opportunity to add in a pinstripe to tie up those in the laminations and to provide a visual parallel to the grain colour contrasts in the Zebrano. Ziricote is sexy all the time anyway though.

Wow, that was definitely one thing i didnt think would be so visually distracting to everybody. I liked it, and was kind of the reason why i did it like that. But when 3 of 3 people say NO!, i guess its more than just opinion, haha!

I guess i could have put a 1/8" piece of mahogany on first, then put the veneer on that.

Now i kind of have a feeling this one wont have nearly the same overall flow and match that the last one did.

Don't mess with it.

I like it. And I do things like that all the time. I have a good idea what the finished project will look like and it will look right when it is all done.

Trust the vision... or if drinking cover one eye and trust that vision. :)

I completely get all of the suggestions and observations, and i agree with them.

I think i just got a little carried away with too many different ideas all in one guitar. The last one was relatively simple, with some complex twists, which is why i think it came out so well. This one, i think i just tried to combine too many ideas.

I had planned on doing binding from the beginning. Hopefully i can pull it all together.

If not, then i definitely know what NOT to do for the next one.

I think with finish on it, it wont end up as distracting as it seems. The last one was identical, the only difference being the maple veneer in the neck blank.

My dad is still using the garage, so i wont be able to get any work done yet. Hopefully tomorrow or within a few days.

So,

I got the neck fretted and im going to carve it today.

I have been thinking about the finish. I have a crazy idea, and hope if i do it wont be too over the top (more)

I was thinking of doing the top and headstock trans red, with a black burst.

I LOVE this zebrawood so much. It looks great by itself. I have some time to decide before i am to that stage.