2016 Builds Of KEA

It's damn classy. Veneering isn't easy to do properly (especially with fragile edges) but I get kind of bored of the same old thing myself. That one just kicks the class up a big notch. A dark back wood like Black Walnut would be amazing. You know when something is good when it starts making ideas crop up in your own head....

• Like 1

That is exactly what i said when i posted it on my page!

So ive ran into a strange issue on 2 of my recent guitars.
With average action and a new nut and bridge, when i pluck the low e, it is vibrating like crazy, so much that it buzzes because it is hitting the frets due to vibrating so much. Only when open. And if i hit the string from a different angle, like if i hit it from the bottom up, or play it bass style by pulling it up and letting it go, it doesnt buzz at all, no matter how hard i pluck it. It is getting really annoying. Ive never had this problem before.

Its definitely not a nut slot cut too low. Its actually really high and it isnt coming close to the fret at all. Its not rattling in the slot. Its definitely the string vibrating in huge oval like patterns and hitting around the 12th fret, even though the action is moderately high. Isnt touching at the first or last fret.

If you're sure it's buzzing at the 12th, perhaps the neck is too straight?

Try a different gauge low-E? Maybe it's got something to do with the amount of elasticity that particular string has, in conjunction with string tension that allows it to "over-vibrate" when played open?

What about truss rod rattle?

I've seen a guitar where you could get it to buzz by plucking the open B string while fretting the low-E at the tenth fret. The open B would cause the low-E to resonate behind the fretted 10th, which was rattling on a fret somewhere between the 9th fret and the nut. Weird.

If you have a multimeter with a continuity "beep" function you can pinpoint the exact location of a fret buzz by clipping one probe to the string behind the nut and use the other probe to touch each fret. As you pluck the string, if the string is buzzing on the fret you have the second meter probe attached to, the meter will beep.