Project - RAD Unfinished Business

you are all over the place in your updates!  good for you.  I find it difficult to stay focused on 1 guitar project let alone several! 

that warmoth body looks great sanded.  some beauty wood there.  someone is going to be very happy with that dark look I bet.

21 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

you are all over the place in your updates!  good for you.  I find it difficult to stay focused on 1 guitar project let alone several! 

that warmoth body looks great sanded.  some beauty wood there.  someone is going to be very happy with that dark look I bet.

3 guitars at the same time is easy compared to the 10 - 16 I used to work on at a time. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RestorationAD said:

3 guitars at the same time is easy compared to the 10 - 16 I used to work on at a time. 

gawd, I can't imagine.  it'd be one thing if they were all the sm... but I'm struggling right now with 2 guitars at one time and they are 80% identical.  It's a lot harder than I would have thought! 

39 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

gawd, I can't imagine.  it'd be one thing if they were all the sm... but I'm struggling right now with 2 guitars at one time and they are 80% identical.  It's a lot harder than I would have thought! 

There is a reason one of my threads is pinned in this forum.

Nothing to do with guitars just @Prostheta are friends

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RestorationAD said:

I was betting on it looking nicer than a dark stain. Once it dries I will fill the grain and shoot some clear over it. 

Filling the grain (dark fill I presume?) will go a long ways. The oil made the grain almost invisible in your pics, and it stopped looking like ash.

SR

12 hours ago, avengers63 said:

RAD is making pickups again....

And he's making blades....

must not harass too hard, even though I've been begging for another set for several years....

I will get to them. Unfortunately, I am not making a single coil S9 for about three guitars so it may be a bit. 

They are on the list... single coil blades. I still have to solve the magnet problem. The set I made you had magnets that I had laying around. While this is cheap it is hard to reproduce. I have two designs in mind. One uses traditional ceramic magnets and the other uses a newer neodymium magnets. The problem I have had in the past with neodymium magnets is they usually result in a very bright clean pickup (no grit). Great for basses but not so much for guitars (unless you want really clean pickups).  

23 hours ago, ScottR said:

Filling the grain (dark fill I presume?) will go a long ways. The oil made the grain almost invisible in your pics, and it stopped looking like ash.

SR

Not sure. Was planning on clear but I get what you mean. I will have to ask the owner what he wants.

Decals for the Strat. We decided on Chaco as the name because it was cool and hiking in Chaco New Mexico was a great memory.

In Chaco NM their is a petroglyph called the Sun Dagger (it is cool google it). SO I am adding a Sun Dagger to the back of the headstock. 

Chaco-1.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 1:41 PM, RestorationAD said:

Sanded up and ready for sealing. No cross grain scratches in this one.

IMG_20190302_145942.jpg

What are you using for sealer here?

11 minutes ago, komodo said:

What are you using for sealer here?

Moar Lacquers... ?

Silliness aside a serious set of heavy coats of un-thinned Behlens Instrument lacquer from an old can I don't trust anymore (turned out to be fine).

Normally it is epoxy or super glue... but then I have to add a coat of shellac to make sure everything sticks.  I really dislike vinyl sealer so I never use it.

For this thing I just don't care. Since it is all close grained and already full of epoxy Lacquer is fine.

I am going to scuff it with 400 and then shoot a color burst then more clear on top of that.

Just now, RestorationAD said:

Stop. I was not. I WILL NEVER use gold hardware. Never.

If someone gave me free gold hardware I would turn the torch on it and bake the electroplating off... and if it melted I wouldn't even feel remorse as I saved some poor unfortunate soul from owning a guitar with Gold hardware.

1 hour ago, RestorationAD said:

a serious set of heavy coats of un-thinned Behlens Instrument lacquer from an old can I don't trust anymore (turned out to be fine).

That's what I've been using. It's worked so well I see no reason to try anything else. But, I've never shot it 100% before. 

Fun story - on the last guitar, the weather was nice and I wanted to get a quick spray in. Autopilot kicked on and I grabbed a cup and mixed a quick 1:3 mix and scrambled to get my spray stuff setup before light faded.

BUT - when I went back to my cup, I was like "why is the cup all funny looking and sorta warped"? Of course, I grabbed a clear plastic cup because thats what was right there instead of the paper cups 1 foot away. Can I GENTLY pick it up and pour it into the paper cup? Please?! No. No you can't. The cup just went away like a popped bubble, or a wisp of smoke that never existed. The next 15 minutes were spent cleaning all the lacquer from my table saw top, and the floor, and the . . . . . .

5 hours ago, komodo said:

That's what I've been using. It's worked so well I see no reason to try anything else. But, I've never shot it 100% before. 

Fun story - on the last guitar, the weather was nice and I wanted to get a quick spray in. Autopilot kicked on and I grabbed a cup and mixed a quick 1:3 mix and scrambled to get my spray stuff setup before light faded.

BUT - when I went back to my cup, I was like "why is the cup all funny looking and sorta warped"? Of course, I grabbed a clear plastic cup because thats what was right there instead of the paper cups 1 foot away. Can I GENTLY pick it up and pour it into the paper cup? Please?! No. No you can't. The cup just went away like a popped bubble, or a wisp of smoke that never existed. The next 15 minutes were spent cleaning all the lacquer from my table saw top, and the floor, and the . . . . . .

Been there done that. Grew up in body shops/race shops and learned to paint in the late 70s through the 80s (as a puppy). I have mixed some old school nitro hot before. I learned Epoxy from the race shops. 

• Like 1