Osorio CS 2019 Builds

Well

After almost an year working just on repairing and setup guitars and basses, I decided to build something new. This project have a lag of a year, some stuffs of my day life/job/study makes me put it a side, but now it started and I'll share this with you guys!

Will be four seven strings guitars, with multiscale (25 to 27 inch) 

Willkinson hardware, Cabrera pickups (two guitars), Jescar stainless frets.

The woods are Cedar (2 bodies), Tauari (2 bodies), Marfim (4 necks and 2 fretboards), Imbuia (2 fretboards) , Eucaliptus Root (2 tops), Cinamomo Roots (1 top). I'll send the species later.

That's all for a while!

Pics of day one, rough cut and glue.

59713125_2366091636961201_4096277281343799296_n.jpg

59817332_2366091670294531_5168259964048769024_n.jpg

59875099_2366091596961205_7851204705328824320_n.jpg

59896178_2366091526961212_2096950793667084288_n.jpg

60022391_2366091483627883_719929234268618752_n.jpg

60032925_2366091370294561_7329966890170712064_n.jpg

60039927_2366128736957491_1225296951994482688_n.jpg

60177625_2366091556961209_8002466804884570112_n.jpg

60216641_2366091443627887_8095451880475328512_n.jpg

60249007_2366091410294557_7057840803132997632_n.jpg

60342240_2366128806957484_8681083161049825280_n.jpg

60391231_2366128843624147_7075436682849288192_n.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

dang diving back in head first w 4 builds - good for you!  love the idea of a solid cedar guitar.  such a beautiful wood.  look fwd to seeing that one specifically but all of them too.  cheers

Yeah MisterMike 4 its a big dive! I have made other two 7strings (have some entry on the GOTM) with Cedar back and Umbuia top one of them it's mine and I tell you: sounds great! 

1 hour ago, Osorio said:

Yeah MisterMike 4 its a big dive! I have made other two 7strings (have some entry on the GOTM) with Cedar back and Umbuia top one of them it's mine and I tell you: sounds great! 

a fav acoustic of mine... some 20+ years old now... has a cedar top.  as it's aged the sound just keeps getting better and better - sweeter and sweeter.  lovely stuff

4 hours ago, mistermikev said:

love the idea of a solid cedar guitar.

Mike, I strongly suspect the cedar Alessander gets down in Brazil is different than what we are used to seeing up here in the northern section of the Americas.

You'll still like it though.:)

SR

18 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Mike, I strongly suspect the cedar Alessander gets down in Brazil is different than what we are used to seeing up here in the northern section of the Americas.

SR

i hadn't considered that... you think it's still weatherproof?  Never really thought it was much to look at, not that it's not pretty, but the northern stuff seems to guarantee a nice sounding acoustic as all that I've played - classical to steel string - have seemed to have a unique sort of soft mid range boost.  I wonder if it would come across as well in a solid body.

33 minutes ago, ScottR said:

SR

Let's discover if our Cedar are the same. Here I used two species of cedar (even knowing that they're not from same family):

- Cedro Rosa (pink cedar)  that have a characteristic smell wich is Cedrela fissilis (Meliaceae).

- Cedro Arana don't have the same smell of Pink wich is Cedrelinga Catanaeformis (Fabaceae) 

Wich is that you guys are using?

doubt it helps... but the one I was referring to was sold to me as 'western cedar'.  Obviously not a scientific name and I would have no idea... but I'm guessing someone here will know what the common cedar is in the use.

so in short... I'm useless.

edit according to wiki Thuja plicata ... "It is not a true cedar of the genus Cedrus" someone might want to confirm me.

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

doubt it helps... but the one I was referring to was sold to me as 'western cedar'.  Obviously not a scientific name and I would have no idea... but I'm guessing someone here will know what the common cedar is in the use.

so in short... I'm useless.

edit according to wiki Thuja plicata ... "It is not a true cedar of the genus Cedrus" someone might want to confirm me.

Western Cedar - Thuja plicata (Cupressaceae), its another family! But I think that is more closer to the traditional coniferous used on acoustic soundboards.

learn more every day.. I always thought cedar was just cedar.  never occurred to me how many similar but different variations there are of all the woods around the world.

btw really like that Eucalyptus ... is some really exotic looking stuff

https://www.wood-database.com/tornillo/

https://forestlegality.org/risk-tool/species/argentine-cedar

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cedar,%20western%20red.htm

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/arborvitae.htm

The top two are what I could find on @Osorio's cedars, and the bottom two are what I think gets used in the northern americas.

And this is what I always think of when cedar is mentioned.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cedar,%20aromatic%20red.htm

This wouldn't be especially useful for acoustics, but would make fine solid body tops.

SR

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ScottR said:

https://www.wood-database.com/tornillo/

https://forestlegality.org/risk-tool/species/argentine-cedar

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cedar, western red.htm

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/arborvitae.htm

The top two are what I could find on @Osorio's cedars, and the bottom two are what I think gets used in the northern americas.

And this is what I always think of when cedar is mentioned.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cedar, aromatic red.htm

This wouldn't be especially useful for acoustics, but would make fine solid body tops.

SR

Youre rigth! Tornillo and Agentine Cedar are the woods that we use here in Brasil. It's quite diferent that species used on horth america and europe! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cedar, aromatic red.htm

SR

odd coincidence... just saw a guy that was doing a solid cedar strat build and it looked an awful lot like this.  telltale cream and pink mix. 

would love to find a figured cedar top of any variant.  have to bolo for that.

thanks both for the education in wood.

• Like 1

The distribution of the fissures(?) in the Eucalyptus remind me of Mappa burl in a way. Will you leave end up filling them in any way?

If your Cedar is anything similar to North American cedar, it will be amazing. The best electric guitar woods I've ever used are light and resonant like pine, cedar, and swamp ash.

• Like 1

Very industrial looking operation you've got going on so far, Alessander.

For those of you watching this man's builds for the first time, don't let that fool you. He is a master at knowing when rough cuts are appropriate and when the fine work is called for. These will end up looking very clean, professional and gorgeous.

I've always been impressed by your economy of labor, I spend a lot of time sanding parts to see what they look like only to cut part of them away later.

SR

Yep, that sure looks like a streamlined process, industrial indeed. No unnecessary hassling despite the obvious curiosity of wanting to get a glimpse of how it might look when finished.

@Osorio, to me a great deal of the process of building a guitar is to see the almost miraculous change from pieces of lumber to a playable and good looking instrument and the astonishment when it finally is finished to the limits of my skills. Do you still feel the same magic when doing a series of instruments almost like on an assembly line? Do they just give you the pleasure of making a job well or are they like your babies?

On 5/24/2019 at 8:35 AM, komodo said:

The distribution of the fissures(?) in the Eucalyptus remind me of Mappa burl in a way. Will you leave end up filling them in any way?

If your Cedar is anything similar to North American cedar, it will be amazing. The best electric guitar woods I've ever used are light and resonant like pine, cedar, and swamp ash.

Komodo, I will fill them. Probably with epoxy colored (or not) resign, but at this moment i did not think in final finish yet. I have some ideas but nothing decided yet.

Yes cedar is a great wood for guitars, this one that I used in this project is very ligth and sounds with mids pronouced.

On 5/25/2019 at 11:27 AM, ScottR said:

Very industrial looking operation you've got going on so far, Alessander.

For those of you watching this man's builds for the first time, don't let that fool you. He is a master at knowing when rough cuts are appropriate and when the fine work is called for. These will end up looking very clean, professional and gorgeous.

I've always been impressed by your economy of labor, I spend a lot of time sanding parts to see what they look like only to cut part of them away later.

SR

Scott, you forgot to mention that I win the trophy for use less clamps when clamping too!! Always when I post a raw cut / sanding, or clamping something I remember the coments of you guys here from PG (LOL).  

On 5/25/2019 at 12:08 PM, Bizman62 said:

Yep, that sure looks like a streamlined process, industrial indeed. No unnecessary hassling despite the obvious curiosity of wanting to get a glimpse of how it might look when finished.

@Osorio, to me a great deal of the process of building a guitar is to see the almost miraculous change from pieces of lumber to a playable and good looking instrument and the astonishment when it finally is finished to the limits of my skills. Do you still feel the same magic when doing a series of instruments almost like on an assembly line? Do they just give you the pleasure of making a job well or are they like your babies?

I think that doesn't matter how many guitar I already made at this point in my life ( or will do ), I always getting mesmerized with wood grain, veils and general aspects from every cut that I  made. Discover the internal secrets from wood it's a exting adventure!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the "industrial production line" - I'm just using templates to make job more easy to do and get standardized meassures for all parts. This because I not decide the combinations neck/body/top. So this way I need interchangeble parts to the four guitars. Off course that in some step of the job I'll work exclusively in one at the time. But I like the idea of four guitars finished at same time!