I have little to no idea of what I'm doing...

JayT

9 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

My favourite allegory is to compare sanding to mowing: You're cutting the lawn with the blades, not pressing them down with a steamroller.

finally, something I can understand! Literally I said "oohhhh...." out load after reading this.

8 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Water isn't that much of a problem unless it gets into screwholes and other locations where the edges swell up and the raised finish edges get knocked back by accident.

yep, happened on this build, twice on each body.

I'll keep all responses in mind on the next build for sure!

In the meantime, today I started to assemble the white one...

IMG_5705.thumb.jpg.71e4bd7ea76b1833927a6bc7330adc61.jpg

IMG_5707.thumb.JPG.5b0c9c7ad633cfdd0194751ac5d470ef.JPG

IMG_5708.thumb.JPG.e08645b2e3bcd0e95b5397689c74aa64.JPG

...then decided to stop an re-watch all the 'how to soder' and 'how to wire a guitar' videos before jumping in to the electronics. Also I want to do the cavity shielding first.

Question, is there any reason I can use aluminum tape rather than copper? Cheaper, and I saw a video of using glued down cooking aluminum foil...

• Like 2

Any metal works. Mostly the glue isn't conductive which will require some tricks in the seams. Note that all copper tape glues aren't conductive either! Soldering is one way, a double seam with a metal to metal overlap will also work.

Just recently @Gogzs here showed the most simple innovation regarding shielding cavities: Simply fit a piece of household aluminium foil into the cavity, take it out as a cup of sorts, apply glue and put the cup back. No seams!

• Thanks 1

I ended up only using aluminum foil for the back of the pick guards/cavity covers. I tried many times to make a 'cup' but no matter what I tried I either made a tear in the foil and/or scuffed up the paint. I ordered some conductive paint that'll be delivered today which hopefully will be worth the $14 USD 

1817477926_ScreenShot2020-05-15at8_56_35AM.png.c44a774cbaabf00d96692a657be6d6cc.png

and I hope 12 ML will be enough

Edited by JayT

I still find it amazing that your design hadn't been invented long ago! All the basics are right: Access to the highest frets, enough meat in the lower bout to balance the neck, a lightweight headstock and straight string pull... And yet there's visual elements for the stage: sharp corners and sexy curves and a loop in the headstock, pure street credible rock'n'roll!

• Thanks 1

@Bizman62 thanks, that's some high praise and I appreciate it! I did spend a bit of time trying to design a body as unique as possible while still recognizable & functional as a guitar. But as we all know there's really 100% nothing new under the sun, and after I settled on this shape I came across the Ernie Ball Armada which is similar in body style anyway,

Going to wire up today - another first for me...crossing my fingers

Well, 3 hours + trying to figure out the wiring (imported 3 way switch took a few trials/errors) --- there's a bit of a buzz in the neck pickup that I still have to sort out, and it is in dire need of a set-up, and I may need to redo the nut --- but the switch and knobs work and it doesn't electrocute me or anything. That's a win!

IMG_5725.thumb.jpg.16a3ddaedcf80428c4b52d1397605b7b.jpg

I'll have some proper pictures once its all polished & step up - and the white one is wired-up too, but here are some quick snaps of where it is now:

jtg001.thumb.png.2e1a42ce39d2470609d6f0d0e82be9e0.png

IMG_5727.thumb.JPG.3f8117c20a28f2e6e8d7ca998f2ced22.JPG

IMG_5728.thumb.JPG.f84b9229839fcfb65352abf3c69a7909.JPG

IMG_5729.thumb.JPG.4ca40a302668576ac33130d569f785da.JPG

Edited by JayT
  • Like 4

Wiring of the 2nd one went waaaaaaaay faster, to be expected and the point I guess :)

IMG_5731.thumb.JPG.692d45b0eca068600be4564f83ee741b.JPG

Then all that was left was assembly...

IMG_5741.thumb.JPG.4284acd7d866c4088692efff3d9625de.JPG

IMG_5742.thumb.JPG.17ab78f399bbe375d3c36cbaa342e9e6.JPG

IMG_5740.thumb.JPG.8a0f9d61894b6bece92a27033f65f2be.JPG

IMG_5744.thumb.JPG.4f68c9aecfbdf63fe087e77b05a8cc89.JPG

Even though I still have to set these up and do some small tweaks I consider builds 1a & 1b to be finished! They took 6 1/2 months to complete but I had a great time doing this and learned so much. To all the members here that gave advice, tips, tricks & resources I can't thank enough!!!

Maybe now I'll have time to actually practice guitar a bit :)

• Like 1

Oh, and some pictures of the pair together...

IMG_5736.thumb.jpg.c8533ac1f4deade6f11658b5a3dbc8da.jpg

IMG_5737.thumb.jpg.26ec7a3ac56db38b5136a9974f6859d4.jpg

IMG_5738.thumb.JPG.45cb125487a03cebfff6643b873df689.JPG

IMG_5739.thumb.JPG.a1059f1f169a7d9de0314900bdebbad2.JPG

done and done.

I've always  called l these my "Teetotaler" design ... I was watching a documentary American prohibition when doing the first napkin sketch and that word just sounded good to me (but not actual Teetotalism!) --- although my daughter calls them the 'Yin Yangs" either is better than "the white one and the black one" or "1a & 1b" I suppose

IMG_5734.JPG

Edited by JayT
  • Like 3

Good looks! I like how the truss rod cover works together with the hole in the top of the headstock to give an impression of a ribbon shape, depending on the background. A nice finishing touch to a clever design. 

Why the same pickups on both? Do you notice any difference in sound between the two? Would be an interesting study, considering that there are so many common variables between the two, to see how/how much neck wood selection effects tone. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Charlie H 72 said:

an impression of a ribbon shape

Now that you mentioned it, yes indeed! Especially on the white one, it looks just like the awareness ribbons, the pink one being the first one to pop in mind. Could that be used for marketing the guitars? "Buy a <colour> ribbon guitar! One dollar of each sold will be donated to corresponding charity."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JayT said:

although my daughter calls them the 'Yin Yangs" either is better than "the white one and the black one" or "1a & 1b" I suppose

Both are high end evening wear, one for a black tie event and the other for a white tie event.

SR

• Like 1

I did notice the ribbon shape/impression but that was accidental...the truss access cover design was extended to cover the long gouge that the extended drill-bit caused. Maybe Fender or PRS will use something similar for guitars donated to charities and I can sue them. It's the American dream!

12 hours ago, Charlie H 72 said:

Why the same pickups on both?

In hindsight I'd say mostly short sightedness. At the outset I wanted to make 2 exactly the same - I learn best in two ways: by doing and by repetitiveness. If I were to start over I'd mix it up a bit more.

12 hours ago, Charlie H 72 said:

Do you notice any difference in sound between the two?

Yes, the black one sounds less crappy than the white one :) Actually neither has been set-up well enough to really play yet -- but they sound very similar at the moment - except the white one has high 8th fret wire that buzzes.

The only difference is the neck wood, all the other wood is not only same type but also from the same boards. So once these are set-up I'll for sure compare