TOP 12 GUITAR PLAYERS

KILOWAT®

who is the most liked player in the room  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevie Ray Vaughan in '89 during his 'In Step' tour. That's why I play today. I could not believe that anyone could translate that much feeling and emotion into any form let alone a guitar.

I'm one of the many, many SRV wannabes. I've only recently began finding my own style from mixing players like:

SRV, Clapton, Mclaughlin and a dash of BB & Albert King.

Clapton was cool in Seattle as well. He always has such a great band too. I never thought I'd be a famous player but I always thought it would be cool to be that player that all the great, famous players looked for when they were recording or touring.

As for slide players...deffinately Duane Allman or Paul Barrere, he's ok too. B):D:D

Satriani is cool to me because while he can be flashy and fast as hell, he is still able to keep soul and emotion in his music.

As for slide players...deffinately Duane Allman.

Duane might be the 'best known' blues-rock slide guy, but no way the best (IMO :D ).

Although not so well known, Paul Barrere from Little Feat had Duane smoked like fresh-kill road pizza. :D

Listen to any Little Feat record, then listen again...and again...listen intently to the slide, Paul (and Lowell George too) took slide to a completely different level of conciousness than just slide blues guitar. He OWNED slide guitar. :D

If slide guitar can possibly get any more groovaliciously funky and down-home-grits-and-gravy-extra-cornbread-if-you-please than that, please let me know, cuz I ain't heard it yet. B)

I love the Allman Bros., BTW.

And that's not to mention Lil' Ed, or his uncle J.B. Hutto, or Ry Cooder, or Johnny Winter, or Merle Watson, or...........

Duane just had more 'recognition' cuz he was in a pretty famous band and got more press exposure. He 'was' extremely good, but no way the best out there. :D

Paul and Lowell and the boys... B)

Barrere.jpg

Cool! :D

Try to get more than one if he's offering. :D

More than 1? If he's all that then one song, heck 1 note, oughtta be enough to prove to me that he's 'groovaliciously funky and down-home-grits-and-gravy-extra-cornbread-if-you-please'. B):D:D

j/k I am gonna check him out though B)

• 3 weeks later...

WHERES HENDRIX!!?! he's the best guitarist by far

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A list like this without a Hendrix is like a list of great basketball players without the name Michael Jordan in it.. just doesn't make sense.. lol

I say new list.. :D

Since there was no Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, Albert Lee, EVH.. I just picked Slash, because at least he knows he can't sing, and doesn't even try.. lol Someone needs to let Joe Satriani, and Vai that singing wasn't their talent... and to stick with what made them famous.. If you don't believe me buy the new G3 concert in Denver... even Malmsteen screwed up a good song by trying to sing..

I was wondering where hendrix was along with Clapton, SRV, and Jeff Beck (not to mention half of all serious guitarist playing Duncans use his signature pickup (JB) and also MR. BB king, Johnny winter. and EVH (how could you hear Eruption and not put him on the list). but out of those listed I went with Vai. I'd say you should have a fav guitarist for every genre like Alternative- Corgan, Cobain, McCready..., Metal- KK, Hammett, Munkey... 70s Rock- Hendrix, Page....80s rock- Slash, Young... Blues- BB king, Winter, SRV...like that

the whole point behind his style was that he played like he couldn't give a toss....like with meg whites drumming--stick vai style stuff in there and it destroys the feel of the music....just listen to radio friendly unit shifter, and you can tell this guy was pure goddamn heart and soul into what he was doing...he cared passionately about his music, but despised these people who sit around playing scales all day long--lets face it, you can hardly say that the lead singer/guitarist of one of the most famous rock acts of all time doesn't have anything going for him!

he doesnt have anything going for him, he's dead.

Interesting, the poll for who is the most liked player has descended to an argument about who is the best. Most concerning.

I voted Satch, not because I think he's the best, but because I like him the most, if that makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

johny a.? who the hell is that??

and why is there no SRV,hendrix,slowhand or even steve lukather!

i dont like vai...overactor.i saw a video of him (my guitar wants o koll your moma) his gitar had no sound and he still opens his mouth,acting etc...i'm a vai hater!

but i love stach.anyays SRV & SLOWHAND (rules!!!)

Playing solo acoustic, Richard Thompson is absolutely amazing. Two hands, six strings... who needs a band? It isn't extreme technique and a blizzard of notes. Bass lines and melody sound independent, like there are two guitarists. In the novel, "High Fidelity", one of the record store geeks describes him as England's finest electric guitarist. He started back in the '60s, so, no tapping or emphasis on speed.

He's a brilliant songwriter too.

An old thread arrised from the Ashes of the Threads heaven, BUT I CAN'T LET IT PASS. I vote from this list for Yngwie, heard everybody else, grow up listening to Vai and Satriani, then this KID in Alcatras came and blow the hell out of everyone, holy smokes, this guy is awsome, and to see him in person after almost 20 years listening to him for the first time was the best gift a guitar player could get, Well after getting that out of my system, I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT NOBODY HAS MENTIONED RANDY RHOADS, for the time and the people playing in that era he was the best....

PS Kurt Cobain, please get a llife :D