Ash's therapy build

3 hours ago, Gogzs said:

Uuuufff, just the right amount of pink shimmering getting trough. Nice therapy you got going there. 

I dunno, the finishing process is fairly stressful 😆

13 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

you know idk why but a pink guitar has been on my list and looked really good pink.  def more depth and complexity with the pink/purple tho.  really looking great.

Yeah I do like the pink a lot actually, I'm tempted to do something that colour, maybe with a trans black burst around the edge so I can get my burst feet wet.

2 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Fascinating how some areas show more blue and some more pink. Is that an artifact of the camera, or did it really not take the blue uniformly......or was it intentional?

SR

no I put an even coat of the blue all round the body after the pink sand back, possible the sand back was uneven, but the pink photo above is how it was when I stained it and it seemed pretty even at the time. I'm about to fire a 3rd coat of lacquer over it, I'll inspect afterwards and report back.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

I put an even coat of the blue all round the body after the pink sand back,

I think its just your camera auto-self-adjusting as you move around the piece.

It happens to me all the time, that's why I post pics under different lighting.

It makes the camera react differently and makes the guitar look completely differently under different lighting.

But its really the camera (phone) adjusting to suit.

Looks great so far, looking forward to more gloss!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drak said:

I think its just your camera auto-self-adjusting as you move around the piece.

It happens to me all the time, that's why I post pics under different lighting.

It makes the camera react differently and makes the guitar look completely differently under different lighting.

But its really the camera (phone) adjusting to suit.

Looks great so far, looking forward to more gloss!

yeah that's a good assumption, I often find taking pics with the iphone changes the colour significantly, I need to use something with a manual white balance. It makes filming really easy though.

I've made some progress on the clear, I've got 3 coats on now mixed to around 60/40. Started to get a good gloss on the front sides and neck but the back seems to be really sucking it up, weird because I've spread a heavy coat of sealer on it this morning.

I've got some orange peel, but it's much smaller nibs than what I have got when spraying previous builds. I expect this is mostly down to technique now but I still feel that this just chucks the paint on with too much pressure and that isn't something I can control. Vid below of coat 3.

• Like 2

Watched the YT, that color is Gorgeous!

I noticed something interesting that I would have never noticed otherwise than seeing the YT.

The way different people use their equipment, their settings, etc.

It looked to me like you have your velocity (pressure) reasonably higher than I use, and your volume (product) reasonably lower than I use.

Said otherwise, I generally shoot a thicker coat at a lower pressure, at least as far as clearcoating goes.

Just interesting, as my eye is always noticing that kind of stuff.

Gorgeous.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 7:17 PM, Drak said:

Watched the YT, that color is Gorgeous!

I noticed something interesting that I would have never noticed otherwise than seeing the YT.

The way different people use their equipment, their settings, etc.

It looked to me like you have your velocity (pressure) reasonably higher than I use, and your volume (product) reasonably lower than I use.

Said otherwise, I generally shoot a thicker coat at a lower pressure, at least as far as clearcoating goes.

Just interesting, as my eye is always noticing that kind of stuff.

Gorgeous.

Yeah having a camera or two setup for my youtube series is actually really helping me to see issues with my technique. This gun doesn't give the ability to control pressure unfortunately, I can control paint volume and the fan size and that's all and I have to thin the paint quite a bit to get a decent fan out of it, or I have to open up the volume a lot which creates a tone of over spray so I'm mixing my lacquer to somewhere between 60/40 - 50/50 (just by eye) and getting better results with thin coats. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ADFinlayson said:

I'm mixing my lacquer to somewhere between 60/40 - 50/50

That's generally right where I'm at for clearcoats too.

70/30 if its really warm outside and I can get away with it (sometimes, not usually)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Drak said:

That's generally right where I'm at for clearcoats too.

70/30 if its really warm outside and I can get away with it (sometimes, not usually)

That's interesting, I thought thinner paint was better when it's hot, or addition of retarder. You've just put in doubt the very little I know

Latest update in the medium of youtube

And a glam shot with the lacquer on it. I built up that low spot/ridge that I made when fixing my scratch with a couple of drop fills at lunch time, then I gave it a couple of coats after dinner to seal it all in. The other night I tried tinting a bit of lacquer with a drop of purple to fill in that area that wouldn't take stain and that worked well, but I have no idea why I didn't tint it with pink like the rest of the body was stained with 👎

IMG_0892.thumb.jpg.c7757a32e7ce0a17f1cdb84d914ac405.jpg

I'll get another couple of coats on it when I get off work tomorrow which will total 10. Will try and get some more on later in the week but we're due thunder storms on wed. Doubt I'll have it finished in time for the GGBO competition at this rate. Bit off a bit more than I could chew with all the workshop stuff.

• Like 2

Holy Shit I Love that color and the specific figure.

That's a Wowza in my book any day.

Purple is hard to 'get right', and although there are several shades to play with, you nailed what I call 'grape'.

Retarder is all about humidity and dewpoint, not temperature related at all.

And I only use it if the dewpoint/humidity calls for it, never otherwise.

The 'retarder rule' is 20 degrees differential dewpoint.

If the dewpoint is 20 degrees within the current ambient temp, you gotta break out the retarder.

So, if ambient temp is 80 degrees, and dewpoint is 55 degrees, you're safe.

If ambient is 80 degrees and dewpoint is 65 degrees, you may need a little retarder, its 15 degrees within ambient temp (under 20 degrees).

And when I'm shooting, I'm always checking current weather conditions in my area, always, like religion always.

So that's retarder...but dewpoint aside, the warmer the temp., the more 'fluid the fluid' (viscous?), one could say.

So the warmer it is, the more product I can spray at the same given pressure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

I thought thinner paint was better when it's hot,

Logically thinking anything that evaporates does it faster when the temperature raises.

@Drak already mentioned viscosity, which means the paint itself is more fluid when warm. Wasn't it you who mentioned keeping rattle cans in hot water to make the stuff come out the nozzle more easily and evenly? However, heating doesn't make paint any thinner, it just makes it more fluid. A thinning solvent is what makes cold paint more viscous which is why you should use it more in cold conditions. 

Thinking about pitch may help figuring or remembering this: As such it's solid to the point you can shatter a lump. When you heat it it becomes fluid so you can pour it over cracks in tarmac with a watering can and in a short while it will solidify. Yet you can wash it off your car with naphta which means you could make cold pitch liquid by adding a suitable solvent. And when the solvent evaporates you'll again have solid pitch.

• Like 1

Calling her done for now, not totally happy and never rushing a finish again. I've still got fine swirl marks visible on close inspection. Using my cheap machine buffer saved me a lot of time but certainly not a better result that what I was getting by hand. Also got that scratch thing next to the blade switch which haunts me every time I look at it. and that weird spot behind the bridge that wouldn't take stain, I put some purple tinted lacquer on it but while levelling and buffing it seams to have turned green. 

Anyway, despite all the bits I'm not happy with, it does sound fookin' tasty through the MT15 and rings on forever, I think my neighbours were thrilled with me today because I rocked out on it for a good couple of hours. Love the ebony top hats and tuner buttons, even the switch tip is ebony, I had to file down the blade to make it fit :) 

It has two PRS humbuckers that I had, wired like a cu24 with the addition of a mini toggle to split the neck and bridge when is positions 1 and 5 only. It's a double throw switch so I've got a different resistor for each circuit so for tuned coil splits. When I was wiring it up I was testing it with just one pup wired at a time when meant I could A/B the split vs the tuned split and interesting to hear the result - bit less hum, tiny bit more bass with not as much volume loss but still more spanky than in humbucking.

Enough woffle, pics!

IMG_1074.thumb.JPG.27687ada696a6d2d57d0dde72d7dd4bc.JPG

179191713_IMG_1038(1).thumb.JPG.bcb989c8b18b500cd55bc00445dcde26.JPG

IMG_1083.thumb.JPG.a2776b6c4c2eb858dd6c2278fcdf965a.JPG

IMG_1065.thumb.JPG.91286599989e5101c2245989ee0f2338.JPG

IMG_1067.thumb.JPG.f704e7c98301f62a6a8f766eda15e6e6.JPG

IMG_1082.thumb.JPG.5b36ebfb62fca5942094f86e1cb1db30.JPG

IMG_1076.thumb.JPG.1c661352b2490ce0b51bfd5ff723356d.JPG

IMG_1068.thumb.JPG.c6135df40d3578b5cb0260c3e4b4c9e5.JPG

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Click on the heart icon next to my name to vote.

If you use an adblocker - uBlock Origin in my case - you'll have to disable it for voting.

• Thanks 1