Finished Pics! Trini Lopez Semi Tribute

50 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

That's a very nice looking instrument by all measures!

By looking at it my fingers itch: I'd like to apply some wax on it!

Interestingly, I did some test with wax and also with food-grade mineral oil - and the mineral oil came out tops.  Not a lot in it, though.  So the top has had around 4 coats, left to soak in then wiped and let dry then finally buffed.  That said, the fretboard is waxed.

In my experience no matter what the actual finish is, some wax will make it even crisper. So far I've used wax on lacquer, Osmo oil wax and Crimson Guitar Finishing Oil. So I'm not using wax as a finish on wood, I use it for finishing the finish. It just seems to somehow improve it. even more so when all has settled for a few months.

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

In my experience no matter what the actual finish is, some wax will make it even crisper. So far I've used wax on lacquer, Osmo oil wax and Crimson Guitar Finishing Oil. So I'm not using wax as a finish on wood, I use it for finishing the finish. It just seems to somehow improve it. even more so when all has settled for a few months.

Yes - I agree and  I certainly use it over the top of my tru-oil slurry and buff finishes.  So I will be using it on the back, sides and neck, but less sure about the oiled ebony. 

There seems to be no absolute consensus for ebony (among, eg, cello makers, sculptors, furniture makers) and nothing or mineral oil or wax are all used regularly - but food-grade mineral oil (not lemon oil) seems to be the most favoured.  On my test sample there is no visible or feel difference between the wax and the oil but I'm wary of putting wax over the oil because once it's on, it's on...

9 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Shouldn't wax come off with turps or mineral spirits?

It's enough for a 'clean and rewax', but not completely in my experience.  I've tried staining a waxed body in the past.  In the end, only sanding cleared it enough to take the stain.

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I've tried staining a waxed body in the past.  In the end, only sanding cleared it enough to take the stain.

Very much tru dat. I'm worried even about fingerprints. You never know if there's remains of hand cream or soap. Alcohol or other strong solvent based stain is a bit more merciful with the lightest grease spots.

• Like 1

• Andyjr1515 changed the title to Finished Pics! Trini Lopez Semi Tribute

One hint for the background canvas: If you don't want to iron it, moisten it, grab the ends with a helping hand and turn it length wise like making a twine or rope. Eventually the twisted fabric will want to curl around itself at which point you can let it do so and tie the ends together with a piece of cord so the bunch won't disintegrate. Let dry and store that way. That will make irregular creases. That's how my wife stores one of her summer dresses!

Actually, this video shows exactly that better than I could do with a thousand words:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

And I've got to admit it took the shot of the backside of your headstock to really appreciate what you've done with your tuner arrangement. Does tuning from the top take a minute to get comfortable with?

With these Steinbergers, you tune from the back.  They are replacements for the banjo tuners that used to be fitted to the Gibson Firebirds, etc, and which also tuned from the back.  The Steinbergers a much cleverer design, though.

The T at the front is the clamp screw and the tuners pull the cylinder, that the T is sitting on, down into the body.  Easier to see here (forgive me if I've already explained this):

hLMcLtCl.jpg

You turn the tuning knobs to raise the cylinder and at the top of its stroke it exposes the string through-hole in the middle of the cylinder.

You feed the string through, pull it tight, and clamp it with the T clamps.  

Then you just turn the tuner knob at the back the other way and it pulls the cylinder down, dragging the string with it.  This tautens it and very quickly you reach pitch.

I've used them a couple of times and, for ease of use and smoothness of tuning, they are the best tuners I've ever used.  And you can have any headstock shape too :)

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

Congratulations!

It's funny that we seem to share a bunch of ideas. There's a big difference though in the end results, your craftmanship really shines!

That is very kind of you to say, but it is those very ideas, from you and the myriad of talented folks round here, that have all been stolen been noted and I've tried to incorporate into my builds.  And I am in awe of the real craftmanship I see regularly in many of the other builds round here  :)

What was it that Isaac Newton is credited with saying?  'Standing on the shoulders of giants'  ?  ;) 

That said, I am very chuffed with how this has turned out :D

• 2 weeks later...