Zenith Bass

Nice! I do admire your clever solution to turn the knobs without a lathe!

On 1/18/2023 at 9:46 AM, Bizman62 said:

Starting from a square block sure makes finding the center easy!

Center can be easily found from round stock too if you have the right tool. I use one which is purpose-made, but it's basically a straight angle combined with a set square. Like so: \|/

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 1:46 AM, Bizman62 said:

Starting from a square block sure makes finding the center easy! Nice job.

Yeah, you could start with it round and do the drilling operations afterward or start with it square, do the drilling operations, and then make it round. Either method is perfectly legitimate. But to me this seemed to be the easiest method with my tools.

54 minutes ago, mattharris75 said:

I have to say, I'm pretty fired up about these.

For a good reason, too! I especially like how you didn't just use offcuts but instead built them proportional to the body.

It's just one of those things that look simple and obvious when you see the end result. But if it's simple and obvious, why don't we see more of that? Goes to show that simple things aren't that simple to come up with.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mattharris75 said:

So, the flu knocked me out for a week. Apparently the vaccine didn't work so well this year... 😂

Back to work the last day or two and managed to get all the knobs completely finished. I have to say, I'm pretty fired up about these. They're not exactly a difficult thing (though of course they're more involved than one would initially think), but the fact that everything went to plan and there were no hang ups, well, that's an unusual thing in a project! 

I ended up chucking them all up in the drill press and polishing them  with micro mesh papers while they were spinning, all the way to 12,000 grit. Then just a light shot of Tru Oil, also while spinning. Honestly I polished most of it off. These things are as smooth as anything I've ever made, just crazy smooth! And they're going to look great on the bass!

PXL_20230125_054511878.thumb.jpg.d6cc4d4bacea09dd8e4b5f11805513ca.jpg

yes... nice knobs.  they compliment the bass well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The best stuff is promising and nice right from the start but only when given enough time to mature they reach their full potential. Many start with a 'W' like wine, whisky and women - and wood-finishing!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...