Ash's black beauty build

26 minutes ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

Brave stuff indeed working on that with hand tools. Looking great as always!

incidentally I’ve always fancied making an ebony neck, something rarely seen. Ebony just looks killer! 

I did consider the angle grinder but didn't want to spend the next few days looking like a chimney sweep. 

• Haha 1

Nice one!

2 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

I did consider the angle grinder

As much as I love my angle grinders (yes, plural) I couldn’t ever make myself carve a guitar with one. Or any piece of wood for that matter. I know people do that but for me that combination just seems so unholy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, henrim said:

Nice one!

As much as I love my angle grinders (yes, plural) I couldn’t ever make myself carve a guitar with one. Or any piece of wood for that matter. I know people do that but for me that combination just seems so unholy. 

The dust sure is unholy, I've done it a couple of times, but much prefer doing it with hand tools.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avengers63 said:

I've been sorely tempted to make a neck from ebony. I'm drawn to the absolute decadence of it. But there's no way I can justify $200-$300 USD for the lumber. for ONE lousy neck.

Yes this whole endeavour looks like it is going to be one of opulence. I just worked out what I paid for everything:

Ebony top: £325
Swampash back: £135
Curly maple neck: £100
Fretboard: £25

I bought the neck blank 3 years ago and the swampash last year so fortunately I'm not feeling all that cost in one go. Don't know what hardware I'm going to put in it yet, but it would be silly to use cheap parts after spending that much on wood, plus the additional premium of gold hardware. I think I'll be waiting for one of my commission builds to get paid before I order any parts for this one. 

On 3/2/2023 at 7:58 AM, ADFinlayson said:

Yes this whole endeavour looks like it is going to be one of opulence. I just worked out what I paid for everything:

Why buy when you can DIY for 5x more? 😂
I try not to go back and add up because it's always way more than I thought it was. Having a wood stash that you feed from time to time certainly helps with the illusion of economy, but it's also is the cause of many unintended builds.

The build looks like it's going to be another great one Ash!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...