Finished Pics! A little acoustic 6-string for little people

Pretty much finished.  While I still have to...

-wait a couple of weeks before the final polish

- intonate the saddle

- sort a couple 0f fret high spots

...nevertheless, I think I may as well post the finished pics.  I'm also tempted to enter GOTM, if only for novelty value :D

Here are some 'pretty much finished' pics:

_MG_8897.thumb.JPG.f7cab2933dd01d04d7b53a6cc3849519.JPG

_MG_8907.thumb.JPG.aba76141074b419eb56def556a334f4b.JPG

_MG_8915.thumb.JPG.06f0a553f9d3e51e86a16872bcf56b5c.JPG

_MG_8939.thumb.JPG.a451c5b5208237f029158bffa0074df6.JPG

_MG_8941.thumb.JPG.3ae40b44b16af4e9ce10df2f50ef654c.JPG

_MG_8899.thumb.JPG.ec5693f6ad874fd3627853574d6582f2.JPG

_MG_8950.thumb.JPG.ca02a12f01289af155b5557aea5af753.JPG

_MG_8970.thumb.JPG.1934fb202cd0e6d077153867265e5362.JPG

When I've sorted the fret high spots later this weekend, I'll post a couple of soundfiles :)

• Like 3

• Andyjr1515 changed the title to Finished Pics! A little acoustic 6-string for little people
30 minutes ago, curtisa said:

Fab. Little One is spoilt rotten to have a Grandpa like yourself.

So, when is the 'in action' vid being uploaded to Little One's YouTube channel? 😉

There's a possibility that there may be a clip of the o!d wreck playing it at some stage.  It will be used by the Little Ones' parents along the lines of, "Now just watch this. This is what happens if you don't eat your greens!"

Last but one job complete - the intonation.  I deliberately fitted a relatively wide saddle to allow plenty of adjustment. 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th strings ended around 1.5mm back. 2nd string fully forward and 6th string 2mm back:

_MG_8991.thumb.JPG.bec7a40de9f63e1543dcac7d872b37a1.JPG

And into the tenor uke case (can't believe that the neck length turned out just right!) waiting for the final job which will be final polish in around a week's time :)

_MG_8987.thumb.JPG.a2b16ebdba1adc5462b4f6e41435fddc.JPG

• Like 1

She sure has a nice voice! The third example was the only one that made me think of a uke, others were very guitary.

Had my parents laid such a beauty in my hands when my size was suitable for that I might have learned a bit more than just a bunch of cowboy chords!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ADFinlayson said:

To be completely honest, I didn't have high expectations when it came to sound based on other small guitars and yukes I've heard.

Nor did I !  :lol:

Yes - pleasantly surprised and well-pleased.   The recording is straight into my little Zoom H2n, which was sitting around 40cm away from the soundhole so there's no sonic trickery or shading in there.  The WAV file version is even better :)

Some of the difference, though, is the tuning.  Most folks seem to tune them up 5 semitones from a full-size, presumably then replicating the string tension of a standard classical guitar.  To my ear, that lost a lot of the resonance.  Standard tuning on it actually sounded much better but was too sloppy/floppy - and so I ended up at 3 semitones higher than standard which, for this particular instrument, seemed just right.  So the little ones' parents can just put a capo on 3rd fret of a full-size to play along (assuming the smaller one does remain a guitar and not a cricket bat :D ) 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been messing around with strings a little and have come across a set that I think suits the tonal dynamics pretty well.  It is a mixed tension set from Savarez, their Corum Red/Blue set.  The bass three strings are high tension and the three treble strings standard tension.

I think it balances out the resonances from the strings.  Although this set will allow me to tune one or two semi-tones lower, I think the 'three semitones above standard' still suits best.

Here's a second set of short demo sounds in different styles, again recorded directly into my little Zoom H2n recorder.

Finally, the varnish is now hardened and today is final polishing day :)  As discussed before, you can't power buff this type of varnish and application (if you do you quickly burn through the shiny top surface into the flattened/matt lower coats and can end up with a series of contour lines).  Final polish for me is a rigorous hand application of Meguiers Ultimate Compound - a very gentle cutting auto-polish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

The bass strings now seem more articulate and flavorous, the treble ones still sound a bit ukey especially when strumming chords.

Yes - I quite agree.  With both sets of strings it's the strumming that gives the game away.   Also, that last note of the last piece - 12th fret, 1st string  - that really is the maximum resonance and not just my playing  :lol: