The Darkness - Cool or Fool ?

Darkness are cool. Many Americans and Canadians are fans of the British sense of humour.

Of course, the Darkness aren't truly a spoof band, but more of a tongue-in-cheek return to an era.

I found them amusing at first.

It's like a look-alike Robert Plant singing like Freddie Mercury hit head on with a Jimmy Page look-alike playin like CC Deville in classic rock/ 80's rock band.

The video to 'A thing called love' left a smile on my face and the big finish really got me to laugh. When he hits the chorus it's like someone just squeezed his balls, hahaha. B)

...but then, a guy at work bought the CD and has played it several times a day for the last couple of weeks and, like anything overplayed, I'm sick of it :D

at first i was like... what the hell just played on my radio. i remember vividly thinking "ok, so it was a guy, but probably a transvestite, and i think it had guitar worked into it... kinda weird beat" but then i actually listened to it one day, and i was like.. hey, 80's cool! i bought the cd, and i was like.. woah.. man even the cd is like it came from the 80's! at that point i thought they were a joke band.. but then i listened to the cd.. and it was legit. almost like they were pinched from my birthyear.

joke? nah. i think its their style. after all, no parody/joke band would put a naked chick on their cover with a UFO, and have big hair, and wear body suits that are unzippered to expose a nice hairy chest! the hairy chest sealed the legitimicy for me!

one of very few brit bands i can stand... brit music hasnt been very good in my books so far.. dont know why exactly...

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

The first time I saw them wan on our anniversary in a hotel on VH1...first time it aired too. So, I'm like "What the Fxxx is this this?" Is this a joke, or is this for real? then they played a guitar solo, not some cheesey interlude like Nickleback, Creed, 3 Doors Down, and so on play. They freakin rock

PS> the only reason they are doing it now is because they were too ugly to do it then. :D

Overexsposed and over-rated! Funny for a while but the joke has definately worn off..... I'm worried they are starting to take it seriously though, the new video is just so..... serious compared to the others.

Talented but contrived I guess. Oh yeah and ugly too.

you gotta just give hats off for the originality and brazen disregard for whats "pop"

That and the guitar work is pretty much from the heart.

Originality??? in the 80's there was a band called Steelheart with and overdramatic Singer and subpar guitarist. These guys are like a worse version of Spinal Tap. At least Spinal Tap were Original :D

Yeah I know steelheart, the singer was mike matejevic (don't know the guitarists name) He went on to do about half the vocals for the Movie Rock Star. It sounds original to me at least. That falsetto is wacky! Its definately not for everyone. And i think that they tak ethemselves very seriously............ to an extent :D

I can't believe I'm defending (ugh) Nickelback--

Although there's no denying that the 'pattern' for songwriting is very similar, this is really just an auditory illusion. It could theoretically be done with almost any band that has consistency in their sound.

If you take any song that's in the same key with the other, match beats so that they're the exact same tempo, and play them back together, they'll sound fine, and the person who's already willing to be convinced and therefore isn't listening TOO critically in the first place will just notice how 'good' they sound together, and will jump to the conclusion that they're carbon copies!

If anything, with careful listening you'll notice that Nickelback has changed the formula at least 10% between those two songs... there aren't enough perfect matches for the verse and chorus changes. :DB)

For it to be more frightening in similarity, and convince a more critically-thinking listener, the melodies would have to overlap rather than simply harmonize, and the cadence of the words would have to match, too, rather than sounding like one melody over top of a syncopated backup singer. The words between these two songs almost never match up.

I know you're just 'taking the piss' though (as the Brits would say), so I didn't intend to sound too serious in my rebuttal. Nickelback are ass.