Lookin' for a new amp....

canuckguitarist

Hey, I'm lookin' to get a new amp and was wondering if you guys have got any opinions, preferences...whatever...

I want a decent wattage, probably 40+, 2 channels, preferably footswitchable and a 3-band independant EQ on each channel. 3 Channels would be nice but I don't really need it. Here's what I'm looking at right now...

Line 6 Flextone III

Hughes and Kettner Warp 112

Carvin SX300

Tech 21 Trademark 60

Randall RG100

Marshall AVT50

This would be cool to have....haven't heard anything about it though...

What do you guys think? What would you get? Any suggestions, comments, whatever are appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron :D

Of those listed, I'd probaly go for the "Line 6 Flextone III" because of all the effects, etc. built-in but you'd need to tack on a few hundred dollars for a FBV series foot controller... or you can research if the Behringer FCB1010 would work with it.

Edit: Oops, nevermind... it looks like the FBV uses RJ-45 connectors, not the midi DIN.

what do you need the amp for? that will really determine (or should) your choice... if we're talking bedroom/basement/rec room amp, then it's a tie between the carvin( 2nd cheapest) and the tech 21 (pretty good vintage sounds from the sound files there)... and third the randall (cheapest) if you're going to head towards the crate (shiver)... then you need a cab, and if you're going the head and cab rout, then i'd start looking at tube..

ps, it took me about 30 seconds with the top of the line AVT and the matched cab to know i never wanted to own that amp..

I second that BLS!!

Mesa are good, if you want sound go tube, if you want radio shack that tried to imitate with cheap digital crap sounds and whatnot buy everything else.

You never know how bad you sound until you play with guys that have tube amps, your sound becomes cold, thin, and am radio like! I use a mesa bass amp and it can do anything and everything i want, when I play with the solid state guys they have to turn you really loud and you still cant hear them, my sound cuts through and sounds better, studio like and they are crap!!!

If it was my world radio shack amps, strats, p-basses, squires would be illegal.

Those guitars would be used as firewood, ibenez, carvin, jackson, gibson, and all the others would be king, not some cheezy red with white fender strat with noise and feeback creating single coil pickups.

Everything would come with hi po 18v pickups, stupid people with passive electronics thinking that it sounds better would have there ears adjusted.

Also, in my world if you put two distortion pedals together satan would come out of the amp, not gobbled crap!

:DB)

I second that BLS!!

Mesa are good, if you want sound go tube, if you want radio shack that tried to imitate with cheap digital crap sounds and whatnot buy everything else.

You never know how bad you sound until you play with guys that have tube amps, your sound becomes cold, thin, and am radio like! I use a mesa bass amp and it can do anything and everything i want, when I play with the solid state guys they have to turn you really loud and you still cant hear them, my sound cuts through and sounds better, studio like and they are crap!!!

If it was my world radio shack amps, strats, p-basses, squires would be illegal.

Those guitars would be used as firewood, ibenez, carvin, jackson, gibson, and all the others would be king, not some cheezy red with white fender strat with noise and feeback creating single coil pickups.

Everything would come with hi po 18v pickups, stupid people with passive electronics thinking that it sounds better would have there ears adjusted.

Also, in my world if you put two distortion pedals together satan would come out of the amp, not gobbled crap!

:DB)

ummm.....whats the point of that post?

It would have been a decent post... but then he started talking about his ideal world...... :D

Any ways, back on topic. As much as I like the sound of Marshals, a good amount of what you are paying for is the name IMO. But if you have the money and don't mind spending, I would say that is the way to go.

If it was my world I'd have you lick the strings on my strat clean after every gig. Maybe I'd give you an ibenez guitar to practise though.

stupid people with passive electronics thinking that it sounds better would have there ears adjusted.

I guess the only one stupid is you. We really don't need another strong opinionated teenage d**kh**d who tells us what we should play or not.

Your immature reply showed us that your opinion is as valuable as your ability to correctly spell the brand Ibanez.

I second the Marshall, but, if you wanna go for real good..... bug Drak to sell or "give" you one of his restored Fenders :D

lol

Go for Marshall, or Peavey!! cant go wrong with a Peavey Bandit with a Scorpion Speaker

Curtis

Sorry about the rambling! :D

Just wanted to explain some stuff about a good amp+guitar=good sound!

I know your question is hey what kinda amp should I get?

But it depends if you want one with the suck levels turned up.

All solid state amps have the suck level turned to 11. (IMO)

I will try to stay on topic! :D

Sorry about being dumb.

B)

But NE WAYZ

:D:D

i thought the line 6 was only for the new line 6/variax guitar which switched through about 5 string instrument types such as electric, distorted electric, banjo, reonator, ukelele, not sure about ukelele but i forget wat the others are.

i thought the line 6 was only for the new line 6/variax guitar which switched through about 5 string instrument types such as electric, distorted electric, banjo, reonator, ukelele, not sure about ukelele but i forget wat the others are.

you thought wrong

they have a whole line of amps

Hey I am 27 buddy!

Maybe your fenders are kick ass there but the ones in town here blow!

Yeah passive pickups in guitars are good, considering 97 percent have them and sound good like that.

Ok I am a bass player a good one, I dont build lots of guitars and stuff, I like to create music and play., I am making a bass and stuff, well refinishing and making it better, thats why I am here, I know some of you guys are a little hot headed and maybe wish only the guys that have 10+ guitars finished under there belt were only allowed to type anything here, but sorry didnt see that in the rules.

I do notice that I should stay on topic, Hey I wont even ask you to lick the strings of my old bowed profile. I will say have a nice day cause I can handle some of your snooty remarks. I am a mechanic not a school teacher, i don't spell the best, sorry!

Oh one other thing, everyone has a preference on what they like, I think the guy that started this post sound take whatever guitar he wants to use primarily and go to the store and try them all out, taking anyones advice on what you like and what sounds good to you its stupid, maybe they can point you in a direction for the price ranges and maybe a good deal, but get whatever sounds good to you not what sounds good to the salesman at the store or buy there clearance heap amp.

Everyone knows that situation the saleboy at the music shop saying hey heres a gooder the best we got and you relaly like something else, well whos money is it, get outa the way music boy and get the amp you want bro,

Also nothing doing with the post,

my old band

download tunes

Peace out

Old band, I am the bass plucker