BLACKENED!

I blacked out the sides of the Koa Tele today, just thought I'd throw up some quick pics, it turned out pert-near nice.

The contrast of the camera keeps the actual pearl binding from showing up against the black, but it looks great in person.

This job is -all- in the prep, sanding the sides until they're perfectly flat, no ripples humps or bumps or depressions of any kind, then doing a good job taping it off. If you hurry it up, you'll see sanding marks and imperfections in the black, so it's gotta be nice and levelled first. Shooting the actual paint takes less than 10 minutes for 2 decent coats. There was already about 6 coats of clear on it to give me something to sand into.

I use Behlen's Flat Black Aerosol Jet Spray (read: spray bomb) 'cuz it's easy and it works. I'll go back over it with clear in a few days.

Pearl-1.jpg

Blacksides-1.jpg

Blacksides-2.jpg

Blacksides-3.jpg

Blacksides-5.jpg

Sweet Hay-Zeus... we need a photo that shows the pearl. B)

Great work, as always. I'm still not as big a fan of Koa as you, but with testimony like that from a preacher like you, I'm starting to hear the word of the gospel. :D

Well, this will be probably my only Koa guitar unless I see a super-gorgeous piece another day.

One thing I learned, I would have preferred to go W/B/W/B/Pearl for the binding, I just didn't think far enough ahead to do that, this was my first go with the pearl binding and I just did it by itself...DAMMIT!...oh well... :D

One thing I'm noticing, this guitar feels absolutely GREAT just holding it w/ neck attached. Not all guitars come up winners tone-wise, it's a crap-shoot every time really, but I can just 'feel' the vibe of this one already, I really can. This guitar is gonna be a big winner in the tone dept., I swear it. I have another one, a totally different guitar, totally different woods, that, although completely different than this Tele, gives off this incredible 'vibe' just holding it w/ the neck attached. There is a marked difference between these two and some of the others lying about here.

Like the other one I posted today, Mad Cow, that might be a cool body so far, but that thing is a dead plank when you hold it, this one feels almost alive even w/ no strings on it, it feels very vibrant and alive and resonant already.

I'm really looking forward to finishing this one. B)

About the overspray, good point, but I 'set it up' so I was safe like that.

The whole body has been shot with clear already and been sitting for a few months, so the top was ready for a levelling, so it didn't matter if I oversprayed onto the top or not. If it would have been a big deal, I would have completely taped the top and back off.

Once this dries, I'll give the top and back a level-sanding w/400 grit before I shoot the final clear coats over the whole thing, so whatever overspray hit the top/back, it'll be sanded off when I level out, and I already knew that, that's why I used such a thin width of tape, it didn't matter that much.

Actually I'm surprised I didn't get more overspray to tell you the truth... :D

Where do you find so much time??!! I mean, one sweet koa tele and a crazy cow guitar at the same time??? 

Old Seclet, Glasshoppah: Have 15 guitar projects all on-going at the same time.

There's ALWAYS something fun going on :D

Nope, sorry, not a single SG in da house.

If what you see (not sure which shape you're referring to) is plywood, then it's my Gibson archtop router template. It's an ES 225 style, but just looking at the right-hand side sort of looks like an SG I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

One step forward, two steps back, hehehe...

I routed all the pearl binding off yesterday, re-routed the body for a 7-layer binding job both sides, and stripped all the finish off of both sides.

No bigsters.

1) The 1-strip pearl binding was a bad choice for the Koa. Pearl will look much better on a colorful body, like blue, and I think it would look far better with some b/w/b/w next to it, using the pearl as the outside strip. I didn't like the look of it by itself at all.

It will now have a 7-layer binding on it, i/b/i/b/i/b/i, it will look much better on the Koa, and I'll use the pearl on some other body (I have 4 strips of it left)

No Sleep 'Till Hammersmith. :D