Newbbies should read hisocks book before posting questions. If you are really serious then buy a 20 dollar book. Maybe we could do something like that.

What a guitar really costs to build.

I really stopped posting on MIMF, cause dep is a real crow, and the info was being repeated again and again.

yes, do a search, and by all means add to the old topic you find, to bring it to current view (I guess it works like that ?). I'm all for opinions being added to old threads if it helps anything.

THAT'S what I don't like about MIMF. They tell you to do a search. You go to their library, find the topic. It's from 2 years ago. The thread was "popular" for a week or two, in which 4 people posted their opinion. You can't add to the thread anymore. You're stuck with the info that a handful of people happened to give in a limited time. perhaps someone with a great opinion on the subject joined the forum later, etc.

Pine is a tonewood. Throw it on the floor, and it makes a tone. Some guitars are made out of it, and some are said to sound real good.

I dont see what you guys have a problem with, if you didnt want people to ask question that have already been answered eventually every question will be answered and this place will be just Archives of infomation, there will be no discussion or community. :D

I'm starting to think that some teens are so spoiled by the internet, they refuse to put much effort into finding info. Seems they are too full of themselves to even do a search, as if the topic isn't worth anything unless they start the topic. Maybe they are too good to come along to a topic 2 pages later.

I also can't stand the topics like " I want to build a guitar. What wood ?, what pickups? What body shape ? I'm 12 and my mom just let me handle a knife for the first time last week, so tell me all about using power-tools"

I'm starting to think that some teens are so spoiled by the internet, they refuse to put much effort into finding info. Seems they are too full of themselves to even do a search, as if the topic isn't worth anything unless they start the topic. Maybe they are too good to come along to a topic 2 pages later.

I also can't stand the topics like " I want to build a guitar. What wood ?, what pickups? What body shape ? I'm 12 and my mom just let me handle a knife for the first time last week, so tell me all about using power-tools"

Heck, that is the best post i seen so far!

you directly hit it, every aspect of what is wrong

for example, this page here

is a good example of a thread for newbies to look in, it covers the body, and the neck, and routing for the truss rod (which seem to have alot of topics lately....)

anyways,m just saying, maybe it would be best that newbies look in this thread and check out the stuff before posting, and learn to use the search function

Curtis

anyways,m just saying, maybe it would be best that newbies look in this thread and check out the stuff before posting, and learn to use the search function

Agreed, it would also help to learn to use the necessary tools before proceeding. I'm not saying "don't try to build a guitar if you've never used a high speed router before", then again, maybe I am. I sure hope most young, inexperienced people breaking into this hobby, profession, whatever are being properly supervised by dad, uncle, older brother, shop teacher, etc. etc. Lots of people might think sanding a piece of wood is a very easy task, yeah, even a chimpanzee could do it, right? Maybe I'll make a tutorial one day! :D

For myself, I'm speaking from a lifetime (30 yrs.) of various trades experience that I have applied to my guitar building. That includes metal working, woodworking, blueprint reading, sanding, painting, electrical etc. When someone asks how to wire up a guitar when they've never even used a soldering iron before what kind of advice can you give? I remember one poster who didn't even know what a router was for, let alone how to use one. But I guess ya gotta start somewhere.

Damn I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. I read all the rules and tried really hard to live up to them but next thing you know i'd get slammed by the post nazi. It got to the point that I was afraid to ask anything so I would just lurk. And now I rarely check out the site at all. It's a shame, it's a great group of talent but...

I haven't had any trouble at all over at the MIMF.

THAT'S what I don't like about MIMF. They tell you to do a search. You go to their library, find the topic. It's from 2 years ago. The thread was "popular" for a week or two, in which 4 people posted their opinion. You can't add to the thread anymore. You're stuck with the info that a handful of people happened to give in a limited time. perhaps someone with a great opinion on the subject joined the forum later, etc.

I find that mentioning that you searched the library but that you weren't satisfied with what you found or that you would like some more opinions or something to that effect. They don't mind explaining things and giving opinions but they don't want to explain the same thing over and over again when it might be thoroughly covered in the archives.

I attribute most of the static to summer vacation unleashing hordes of young noobs on the forum - but soapbarstrat makes a good point. We're seeing a lot more posts like "Hi, I'm new, and I have no skills or motivation, but I'd like to do something ridiculously complicated that no one in his right mind would attempt, so could someone please tell me exactly how to do it, broken down into simple steps with pictures and instructions that a complete nimrod can follow, so I can do it without exercising any initiative or risking failure?", and if you make the mistake of recommending a simpler course of action, you get a curt, old-Snorkish (sorry, Sam, but you know how you were) reply saying, in essence, "I know what I'm doing, just tell me how to do it, you @*!!#&@!!" . :D

While I can remember being that age, and knowing everything, I can't ever remember feeling like I could talk to adults that way without risking physical injury, especially when I was asking for help (I still have trouble talking to people that way unless I'm really angry)! And general questions like "how do I make a pickup?" and "what kind of wood would sound good for a solid body?" are as useless as asking "how long is a stick?". B)

I don't think MIMF's 'scorch the earth' policy is necessary, but recommending the search engine would certainly eliminate there being 3 different threads on kill switches opened in one week. I do know that I find myself being more tolerant of the noobs than is probably necessary - I should probably encourage them to find their own answers more often, "...teach a man to fish, ..." and all that.

I've found in a lot of case's while the beginning may sound the same or familiar as far as questions go the end results can change simply because the member posting lives where maybe something isn't readily available such as a Home Depot or a certain tool.

Skill levels working with paint or wood or electronics are different from person to person so grouping them all into a single thread would through massive confusion into the pile.

After all Pine in Florida is a whole lot different then Pine in the Netherlands :D

While I can remember being that age, and knowing everything, I can't ever remember feeling like I could talk to adults that way without risking physical injury,

that is the way i grew up...you learn respect for your elders real quick when a neighbor can smack your ass for kicking his dog and all your parents say is"well,you shouldn't have kicked the dog"

"Hi, I'm new, and I have no skills or motivation, but I'd like to do something ridiculously complicated that no one in his right mind would attempt, so could someone please tell me exactly how to do it, broken down into simple steps with pictures and instructions that a complete nimrod can follow, so I can do it without exercising any initiative or risking failure?"

I think i might have just found a new signature, thats Lovekraft, thats a classic!!!!

Before posting a topic, please use the search engine to see if your question was already answered.

i understand fully what you mean by this. however, most times your question cannot be answered through someone elses topic. As a noob, i konw that its hard to get a question answered if your not the one asking the question. for instance, "what is the best method for smoothing the body side" can most likely not get a good response out of a topic named "can i smooth the body side with a router?".

of course, if theres a question like "how do i install a hot rod?", that can esasily be answered by look at guitarfrenzys fender strat pictorial.

in no way am i trying to contradict your rules, they are excellent and i think that they will solve the clutter problem at PG, however i think that the search function isnt all its "cracked up"to be. i try to use it as much as possible, but sometimes it just doesnt work.

sorry to offend anyoen.

Newbbies should read hisocks book before posting questions. If you are really serious then buy a 20 dollar book. Maybe we could do something like that.

I really stopped posting on MIMF, cause dep is a real crow, and the info was being repeated again and again.

Didnt you give them a few "varitones" to auction to help support the MIMF forum only a few weeks ago??

What do you mean :

I sure did I gave them 5 varitones back in March. I had just gotten a review in TC guitar and I wanted to push my site as hard as I could.

I only really post in the tools section, cause Bill Moll knows a lot about that stuff. Although since I was hammered a couple of days ago, I have lurked there more...

what it really costs to build a guitar...

Maybe a pinned post of what it costs to build a guitar, from tools to wood. Something simple, but would give someone an idea, I think the summer months have allowed the teens to run free.