Build 2 - Dan's LP JR Double Cut

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

I just noticed this is approaching 3 years now.

You are going to give @mattharris75 a run for his money for the title of longest build.

:D

SR

Ha ha. Yes, for such a "simple" build it does take a while at only 2 hours per week, 30 weeks per year. 

It makes me wonder how long the current idea buzzing round my head would take... :D

55 minutes ago, Norris said:

Ha ha. Yes, for such a "simple" build it does take a while at only 2 hours per week, 30 weeks per year. 

It makes me wonder how long the current idea buzzing round my head would take... :D

Dan is a patient man.

All that time between work sessions does give new ideas plenty of incubation time. I bet you have several buzzing around in your head by now.

SR

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

Dan is a patient man

Very much so. I'm glad he's a good mate 

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

All that time between work sessions does give new ideas plenty of incubation time. I bet you have several buzzing around in your head by now.

Yes, although I have the 12-string acoustic rebuild in the queue already. However I'm thinking it's about time I made a proper instrument - a bass guitar, being a bass player and all that! I've learnt a bit of technique on lesser instruments now :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2020 at 8:31 AM, Norris said:

I'm thinking of something inspired by a 4005/330, but more curvaceously carved. Now that would be a long project!

Against modern western lifetime age expectations of a non-smoking male, I reckon I have about 14 years left.  Knock off the last couple because I probably won't be able to understand what a bass guitar is, that leaves 12. 

So if maybe you could get a move on on that one, please.  I'd love to see it :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Against modern western lifetime age expectations of a non-smoking male, I reckon I have about 14 years left.  Knock off the last couple because I probably won't be able to understand what a bass guitar is, that leaves 12. 

So if maybe you could get a move on on that one, please.  I'd love to see it :)

Bad news. I'm (currently) a smoker :D

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Norris said:

Bad news. I'm (currently) a smoker :D

is this a competition?  race to the grave is on... vaper, had heart attack, and have diabetes... and doctor who can't be bothered.  (what do I win?)  I often think of my remaining life in terms of how many guitars I can build!

anywho, I commiserate with you regarding fretwork... man I dread it.  that said my most recent - I did thin frets... man was that a quick/easy job compared to jumbo.  someone needs to design an elec fret crowner.  "I don't care what it costs... I'll take it".

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Norris said:

Anyway I might try to cash in a few brownie points now that it's so close to the finish line. I might get to do some homework :D

OK - I'll cancel the "No Resuscitation" request and hope, when the time comes, that the crash team can get me through long enough to see the finished pictures.  Phew.

• Haha 2

I managed to cash in a brownie point yesterday and steamed out a few small dents on the horns that I managed to make with the fret crowning file. I'm happy to report it works just swell (geddit?!) through a single coat of Tru oil :)

Water drops didn't penetrate, but a well damped cotton cloth and a steam iron made a nice job of it 

• Like 1

I managed to spend some time on the guitar today. However as the fretboard is masked up because I'm in the middle of polishing the frets (and the tools I need are at the class) I'm a little limited as to what I could do. One thing that I could tackle though was this chip out the back of the headstock. It's only a small chip but rather than try to fix it, here's a subtle "feature" :D

20200202_112850.thumb.jpg.94f98f5293c42924e070636db76108dc.jpg

With a couple of guidelines drawn in

20200202_113101.thumb.jpg.9f4cda7143f09a4adf68da90123ff3c6.jpg

Then approx 30° chamfer

20200202_115754.thumb.jpg.ed283bb5acd3ef2137bbcf1294d0a359.jpg

Followed by a bit of careful filing and sanding...

20200202_123316.thumb.jpg.aaa3b5c21b6784c4c8f9ac86477c307c.jpg

I followed that with some more sanding on the end grain, round the rest of the headstock sides and blending. Nicely down to 400 grit

Hopefully the frets will be finished tomorrow night and I can get on with the final sanding and finishing 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Nice feature! I've always wondered why guitars should have sharp edges despite wood by nature being soft and round.

It certainly lends itself to the Gibson "open book" style headstock. I'm quite pleased with it, and would do it again with or without the chip 😂

On 2/2/2020 at 12:14 PM, Bizman62 said:

Nice feature! I've always wondered why guitars should have sharp edges despite wood by nature being soft and round.

I don't think they should have any sharp edges, even the ones that look sharp ought to be rounded a little in my opinion. They are going to wear into rounded edges and the sharper the edge the quicker it wears. Sharp edges are much easier to dent and chip the clear off of. And they are just not comfortable to rub your arm over.

Nice design correction @Norris

SR

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Boy have I cashed in some brownie points this weekend! I really must get a random orbital sander 

Sanding by hand. 120 grit all over to remove the first oil coat, with special attention around the edge to get rid of ALL the scratches. Then 240 grit all over, followed by 400 grit all over. 

Not really much to see photo wise, but one of the most satisfying to me. When it's all properly smooth :)

Then I managed to get a coat of oil on, including the neck this time. This time you will get a photo. The neck, while wet with oil, was like staring into a tiger's eye gem stone 

20200216_155208.thumb.jpg.319216aad27610204748e23028234d05.jpg

20200216_160052.thumb.jpg.0da2fb03f36519e115b2a58157aabb0d.jpg

I did the body too, but the light was going by that time 

• Like 4

I've probably forgotten by this stage, but this is Sapele isn't it? Sapele has the odd distinction of looking fantastic perpendicular and parallel to the growth ring....in a very different manner. I much prefer the look as you have here, against the growth rings. The surfaces looks like a strange crystalline flaked arrangement that shifts in the light. So chatoyance! Many move.

Looks great, I love the look of the first oil coat on anything as it seems to bring it alive.  

I got a random orbital and it did make things a bit quicker but when it came to final sanding from 120 grit on I did it all by hand.

also with mine I find the orbital  it’s only really any good on flat surfaces Like tops and backs.  The neck etc was all done by hand.

one of the best sanding tools I have is the Triton bobbin sander, makes sanding around guitar horns and headstock a breeze.  Those are my least favourite areas to shape by hand sanding.