Unleashing the Mod from Hell

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I can't believe I read and re-read this post (parts of it several times) and I still don't get it..... :D

I was so frustrated earlier that I decided mowing the lawn was a better idea that reading this.....that's bad!

Here's my take....an analogy:

Imagine you own a business (some of us already do) and your throughput has tripled in the last year. You can continue to run the business the same old way and struggle with the increased orders or you can fish for new ideas to make it a better and more profitable business. YOU get to make the choice because you own it.

I see this situation as such: Brian (the owner here) is fishing for new ideas to make this a better place. He is struggling because it has grown beyond his expectations (I'm guessing here but Brian can probably answer this for us) and is being kind enough to ask for ideas from others. He is not obligated to ask at all because he is the owner and this is his house. Does your boss (or your parents if you are younger) ask for your input on change? At a small or a decent company, yes. At a big company they could give two hoots about your opinion on the business and want you to keep quiet and deal with the change......or leave.

I don't agree with some of the changes and I do agree with others. One recent decision has left me simply baffled.....but that's the way it is. I lurk for info on guitars and building and I add my 2 cents when I feel I can give a decent answer. I really don't care if I have a title or a badge and I don't really care if I do or do not add anything of value to the forum. I'm here to learn stuff about guitar and bass building and their inner workings and I plan on continuing that. The last time this came up I found myself getting uptight about it but now I have come to realize it's just a bunch of info on a monitor. If it wasn't here I would miss it, but the same info can be found all over the net. I enjoy the "community" here even though I am not an active part of it. It's fun to watch you guys help people and it's even more fun to watch you get all fired up and take jabs at each other. B)

I hope we can move on and keep building and sharing and having fun.........I don't want to see some of you go because I enjoy seeing your work in here but I'm sure some of you will.

My opinion......worth nothing but 30 seconds of your time to read.

Peace

Wow. I've been gone for a week and come back to all this. Interestingly enough, I was on a marine base for my sweety's, son's graduation from boot camp. I didn't quite fit in. :D

One thing I try to keep in mind when reading posts is that everyone here are musicians and artists and therefore prone to being emotional and often have a bit more than a healthy ego. Not a slam at all, you have to have ego to perform or create and show your art, it would be a sad world without it.

Change scares people. I've seen it happen on other forums before, rules would change and some valuable folks would get upset and leave with a wake of hurt feelings and predictions of doom behind them. Guess what? These people were missed but the forum thrived without them. A forum has to evolve to survive. People come and go and are missed... or not.

Brian has a vision of what he would like this forum to be and has given us the power to help him achieve it. Let's give him the respect he deserves by playing nice.

does this mean you'll be changing your title to "admin from h***"

He has a point here.

Also this thread violated what brian posted the other day here.

For the cynical crowd, let's clarify a few things.

"Clean language" means what you can say on a major television network. 'Damn' and 'Hell' are pretty much the limits. If Brian or I see or hear about a possible infraction, the person will get ONE warning, and their post will be edited. There is no second warning; only a nice break where you can read-only.

Just be cool and don't make us turn on the language filter, ok?

Thanks.

Litch- the more attention you draw to her, the closer she is to going bye-bye.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

acutally there are more that you can say on magor television stations now.

although i dont' aprove of it. on some such as FX you can even say G.D.

also i am glad for brian getting all the help too. and i have heard good things about Kevan and if Brian trusts him that is good enough for me, but on the down side i have seen personal agendas where people take things a little too far in the moderater sections on other sites. but i have a positive feeling about this overall and that is unusal for me so i will continue smiling. :D

Edited by ansil

I don't really see how almost banning pictures is helping this forum. I hate clicking on links. I have dial-up at home and if I have no problems with the pictures. I do think that having a limit of maybe 4 to 5 pics a post and none over 80kb a piece would be a better compromise. These new changes in my opinion isn't helping this site one bit, in fact it's moving in the other direction than it needs to be. Change for changes sake isn't worth a dime unless it's an improvment.

They arent helping at all, but someone is getting off on it, i can assure you.

What they have done is forced the long time members, and knowledgable people to form their own forum. You'll notice that there has been a sudden lack of help around here lately.... thats because those guys just arent here....

I think a lot of issues needed to be addressed to make the forum better. I just think some of the things that have recently been implemented to try and address these issues haven't been fully considered.

I'd rather see a hard limit on the number of pics per post and a file size and dimension limit (600 pixels wide, maximum). Forcing us to link images is a pain in the ass when you're trying to explain something visually.

Users also need to be encouraged users to only quote previous posts when absolutely necessary, and even then, only quote the relevant passage(s) you're responding to. Quoting a full post, pictures and all, to post a one-line reply is just asinine.

Disabling Fast Reply is pointless. Why make it more difficult for everyone to post, when it's only a handful of overzealous users with no etiquette who are the problem?

You guys are throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

This may sound bad, but what are the main problems here again? Is it 'bad advice', or too many young people not listening, or the changes, which, to me, don't seem very drastic.

What EXACTLY is pissing people off?

EDIT:Well, ONE of the recent changes does seem odd to me... :D

This may sound bad, but what are the main problems here again? ... What EXACTLY is pissing people off?

EDIT:Well, ONE of the recent changes does seem odd to me... :D

I've been wondering that myself. One or two of the proposed changes might fall slightly into the pain in the butt catagory but I see nothing worth turning tail and running over. Ya gotta pick your battles.

Maybe the changes would go smoother if we skipped the shouting stage and went right to the calm discusion stage. Brian has given us the chance to help shape the future of this forum but I'm sure it's hard to take someone's input seriously when it's laced with threats and insults. Calmly have your say then move on. If your suggestion isn't taken and it is so important to you that this place becomes unbearable then I'll wish you well and leave a light on for you

Sorry for the rant, I'll go back to my corner now. B)

I have to agree with Lex - it would be nice to know

a) What the problems are that we're trying to correct

:D How the current changes are intended to address those problems, and

c) Why the mere mention of changes drives so many to become irrational.

I refuse to believe that any changes are being made simply to irritate the older members, or that there is some sinister cabal at work to ruin the forum in the interest of advancing some nefarious, unstated agenda, but without a little clarification, I've got to wonder what the hell is going on.

I also have trouble believing that if changes are made, it will result in a mass exodus of all the experienced people here to another venue. The idea of creating a new "If we're not going to play by my rules, I'm leaving, and taking my football with me" forum seems a truly unworthy way to repay Brian for giving you a place to get together in the first place, but people are going to do what they do regardless. I guess if you've learned all you can and taught everything you're willing to teach, it makes sense to move on - thanks for everything, and best of luck in the future. Change is in the nature of internet venues, and I don't see the current changes as being terminal or oppressive, but if you do, and aren't willing to change along with the forum, then you have to decide what's right for you.

My biggest beef with this whole conflict is that nobody is being forthright about what's causing all these problems. I've seen a lot of accusation and innuendo, but nobody will come right out and say what's on his mind. From where I'm sitting, it looks like a lot of it is personal, and I really don't have any solution for people not liking one another, so I don't know what to do about that. As for the other problems, how about naming names and citing examples? It does no good to say "somebody" is doing this or that, and it leaves room for people to take offense even if they weren't targeted (and that happens here with regularity). Until we get everything out in the open, there's no chance that we'll get anything resolved.

As always, that's just my opinion - flame away if you feel the urge.

What is on my mind:

-At first, I was upset about lockin down the rant section.. I liked that place alot.

-I am also kind of upset that the cursing is out the window, but I can understand why it was done.

-I am upset that vets cant bite into noobs asking dumb questions and giving dumb advice. I got my nuts put over a frying pan for giving bad advice, and I learned from it.

BUT

- Im happy that post count is going away, I just wish we could comeup with somthing we can all agree on.

-Im also happy that "I wont have to go through 10 pages of junk to find the radius of a chrome hubcap for a 1972 pento hatchback"

Everything has pros, and cons. Putting up a fuss about every damn thing will not get anything done.

I realize that I'm relatively new poster, but there I'd really like to put in my 2 cents.

In all honesty, people have got to be willing to sort through some garbage to get to the real meat of a topic, for pete's sake, this is a public forum. Believe it or not, everyone gets to talk.

It's like going to a meeting and before you even walk in, declaring that you only want to hear the most meaningful part of the conversation. It doesn't work like that. If what you're looking for is pure information, read an encyclopedia. This is human interaction we're talking about here.

As for discussions about the parade of noobs and their retarded responses, of course that's not ideal, but that's the kind of thing you put up with in an open forum. They'll build, they'll learn, that's how a good crop of guitar builders is developed. Idiots with ideas become ingenuitive builders with enough time. Help them, have conversations. They need it more than a luthier with 25 years of experience.

:D