Help Idiot Build Metal Rig!

Drak

to quote someone from this forum (tho i cant remember who, may be you actually drak)

a strat is modelled after the curves of a woman

a tele is modelled after the curves of a lumber jack

ireally liketeles, in some ways alot more that strats. i really should get around to building one....after the Pa amp conversion....and the latest fix up project......and the monster 7 string. oh bugger there goes allthe money i was planning to save on my gap year :D

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember that guitar now. As usual, it's a classic work of art. I bet it sounds killer too.

Have you ever considered using a Harmonizer (Eventide)? I've always been very curious about those things. Extremely expensive but from what I have heard, can be worth the money. I don't know what they are used for beyond doubling leads, ... but they supposedly have a bunch of effects beyond the harmonizing feature. I don't know, maybe they get old after a couple of weeks of initial excitement?

I keep watching ebay for a good deal on one. Never actually came close to my price range though.

I seen it before, I thought it was going to be all metal hardcore shape, this is a very aestheticaly correct axe, beautiful. I love the top, never thought about useing B eye for a top. Is the Trem staying in tune with out the nut? Even with loking tunners, having an angle on the strings going to the tunners usualy creates hell on the tune. And how does it feel with 2 springs on the trem? Is it easier to drop ?

Nice Axe Drak, like a Bones sibling but better!

well i got one of those bbe sonic maximizers(a christmas present to myself :D )

it definately does a little something...tightens up the low end a bit and cleans up the highs...but i am not sure if it does it the way it says it does or if it is just a form of eq

the "lo contour" seems to add bass,and the "processing" seems to add treble

but there are mild benifits

maybe it might be more noticeable on an amp with a looser low end...mine is already pretty tight

"Have you ever considered using a Harmonizer (Eventide)? I've always been very curious about those things. Extremely expensive but from what I have heard, can be worth the money. I don't know what they are used for beyond doubling leads, ... but they supposedly have a bunch of effects beyond the harmonizing feature. I don't know, maybe they get old after a couple of weeks of initial excitement?"

No I haven't. Hell, I'm going out on a limb as it is with all this stuff I listed already.

I'm used to plugging straight in, just a cord. Good tone. Mmmmmmm..... :D

" I seen it before, I thought it was going to be all metal hardcore shape, this is a very aestheticaly correct axe, beautiful. I love the top, never thought about useing B eye for a top. Is the Trem staying in tune with out the nut? Even with loking tunners, having an angle on the strings going to the tunners usualy creates hell on the tune. And how does it feel with 2 springs on the trem? Is it easier to drop ? "

Sorry to dissapoint on the shape, but I guarantee you, this guitar breaths (deep voice) METAL FIRE. :D:D

It's not perfect, but it's very good, and I can't stand locking nuts, so I'm more than happy to live with the difference.

Yes, 2 springs is easier and smoother, although it's also a bit more susceptable to climatic changes throwing it out of tune. I vary between 2 and 3 springs. It has 3 springs on it right now actually. I like it to be very 'fluid' in motion.

With the recessed route, and as deep as I make the rear section of the top (for severe uppulls), I want to take full advantage of what I routed, so I want the arm to have lots of fluidity and be very responsive to my wanksterisms. B)

Thanks for the advise on the strings, I haven't got used to the Trems so I have opted for hardtails lately, maybe I will give the 2 strings a try see if it suits better.

How does it sound for metal being semi hollow (it is right?) I haven't hear one yet. I know the EMGs are a great help, but how are the tonal characteristics of it?

How does it sound for metal being semi hollow (it is right?) I haven't hear one yet.

No, it's actually a complete solidbody. I DO have another very nice body that is semi-hollow routed for a Floyd, same Drak shape, but that one's not done yet.

I know the EMGs are a great help, but how are the tonal characteristics of it?

Great. The Mahogony gives it a great thick tone, and the Birdseye helps give it a little added clarity. A little less beef than normal due to the Floyd, but that's expected.

The EMG's are definitely different. The SC's are some of the best sounding pkps for jazz I've ever heard. There's no sterility that I keep hearing about, they are smooth, warm, and sweet. Turn it up, they rock. And none of them break up when you increase the gain like Wes is always saying about EMG's, they stay tight and focused even under high gain. That actually took me by surprise when I first gave 'em a run, they don't act like most other pkps, so you can gain the crap out of the amp, the sound remains firm and tight.

BTW, maybe we should take this to PM, it's starting to drift the amp thread off topic.

Yes?

BTW2, I could use a few good rack manufacturers' names. :D

it definately does a little something...tightens up the low end a bit and cleans up the highs...but i am not sure if it does it the way it says it does or if it is just a form of eq

I hope this isn't too off topic but this had me wondering - are you placing it at the very end of the effects loop? I think they recommend that it be the very last thing before the power amp stage. Something seems wrong though by your description - it should present an obvious clarity to your sound.

I usually use the contour at about 7 and process at about 5 to 7. If you use the bypass switch you should notice quite a difference between when it is operating and not. Maybe it has to do with your amp/speakers but I have never heard of a particular amp that it doesn't work as well with. - Strange.

BTW2, I could use a few good rack manufacturers' names.

Why not make your own? It's not that difficult, and you can be as creative as you want, all it takes is some angled aluminum and what ever you whant to use for walls. I custom made one for our test equipment in our maintenace trailer. If you need some already made check here.

Because I have WAY too many projects to do as it is now.

Can't build everything, nothing would get done.

Some things are more fun to just buy and be done with it.

It is a good idea tho, thanks. But just too many projects on the fire, and building takes time, I want the rack rig up and running ASAP so I can spend the time playing it and dialing everything in and getting down on the learning curve and enjoying it straight-away, not waiting on me to finish building a friggin' rack for it. B)

Thanks for the linkey tho, looks interesting so far. :D

Anvil is my preference, the ATA's are really expensive but you could drop it off the roof of your house and it and it's contents will likely survive. I have 4-space AFX I've had forever and a 3-space that have held up for a VERY long time. I also have a Grundorf 20-space and a Raxcess 8/12 space slant and neither are even close to as sturdy as the Anvils.

You can at least check some out at Sweetwater but they're available in many places.

I hope this isn't too off topic but this had me wondering - are you placing it at the very end of the effects loop? I think they recommend that it be the very last thing before the power amp stage. Something seems wrong though by your description - it should present an obvious clarity to your sound.

yes i have it just like they reccomend it.

i think it might be due to the fact that my amp is already quite clear sounding.

the sonic maximizer just makes it sound over processed...i can see how it would help tighten up a loose low end like on a mesa though(for example)

Two things I've found when using the Sonic Maximizer:

• 1. The more deficient your rig is , the more the BBE helps - if you've got a near-perfect sound already, you probably don't need one. The rest of us can sure use one, though.
  • 2. If the effect is obvious, you're probably using too much. I've gotten so used to having one that I have to hit the bypass button every once in a while just to be sure it's still working. It's amazing how quickly your ear adapts to it!

yes i have it just like they reccomend it.

i think it might be due to the fact that my amp is already quite clear sounding.

the sonic maximizer just makes it sound over processed...i can see how it would help tighten up a loose low end like on a mesa though(for example)

Yeh, On a Solid State amp it probably wouldnt do much. But on a tube amp its great.. it tightens it up ALOT and gives it that Solid State attack I enjoy.

I know I'm very late to this, but here goes.....

My rig

Guitar to

VHT GP3 preamp (with Chandler tube driver in the FX loop)

to G Major

to BBE 362NR

to Peavy Classic 50/50

to a Fender Stereo closed back straight 4x12 cabinet

All controlled by a 1010.

The VHT is a three channel, can do it all kind of preamp. Without going into too much manual talk/hype, I like it and I do some genre jumping (mostly I play Eric Johnson/Satch). The Chandler is to push the preamp a little harder (I used to use a Rocktron Austin Gold (initially before the preamp, and after I read more the GP3 manual, in the FX loop) which was also very good). Dave and everyone else is right; the G-Major is the best effects unit in the world at that price range, hands down. BTW, you can use the expression pedal on the 1010 to do real time whammy effects with it (who needs a WH-1? Just kidding for all the WH-1 fans). It will also do all the harmony stuff of the WH-1 as well. Based on Drak's Rivera purchase, I would also like to add that the G-Major will also switch channels on an amp for you (no, the amp does not have to be Midi), and you can control those channel switches with the 1010. I think the 1010 can also channel switch a non-Midi amp, but I would have to check on this. I'm going to add a Line 6 Echo Pro for its sampling (so I can play with myself...haha), although I do like the tube echo sound on the Echo Pro as well. I used to use a Boss RC-20 for the sampling, but wanted everything rack mounted and midi controllable. I also love my BBE 362NR. The rig would probably sound fine without it, but I've had it for so long, my ears would feel like they lost something. The Classic 50/50 is a great tube power amp, middle of the road, not too costly. I am surprised by the hatred of the 1010 manual. Frankly, none of it is really that hard, you don't need much of a manual. The programing and switching thing is easy, and again, for the price/versitility, the 1010 can't be beat. For all those wanting a primer on Midi switching, PM me, I've learned it all the hard way, and I think I can break it down pretty simply.