Esp F Copy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is my headstock.i put it on all of my guitars at the moment.i do have another design(4 by 2)...but this one suits this guitar better

i have no interest in copying an esp headstock...and thank you...there are subtle differnces from the esp...main thing is the carve is sharper...more "cutting" in nature

You've got me inspired! I was reading over on another forum about the pro's/con's of doing an epoxy finish (although you painted over the epoxy, right?) and what I got out of it was that it was a TON of hard work but gives great results.

Did you have any trouble with fumes or anything nasty from the epoxy?

I'd take much pride in that if it were mine.

BTW - I like abalone dots!

You've got me inspired! I was reading over on another forum about the pro's/con's of doing an epoxy finish (although you painted over the epoxy, right?) and what I got out of it was that it was a TON of hard work but gives great results.

Did you have any trouble with fumes or anything nasty from the epoxy?

I'd take much pride in that if it were mine.

BTW - I like abalone dots!

thanks,dave...yeah,it is alot of work...no fumes to speak of...iuse the 2 part stuff from home depot,it is pretty benevolent..i think

• 1 year later...

Heh, sorry for reopening a thread which has obviously been dead for over a year, but I did some searching and thought this would be the best place for posting my question.

I was wondering, Wes, if you could walk me through the steps you went through with your epoxy primer. I'm planning on doing the same thing for my Explorer, because there are a lot of sharp edges on the guitar, and I don't want to take the chance and have it chip accidentally.

What I've gathered so far from the thread is:

-Home depot 2-part epoxy

-thin 50% with mineral spirits

-dye white (I want a white primer under my black lacquer and red HoK accents)

-paint on as smooth as possible with a foam brush, let sit.

-flip after 30 minutes and repeat the other side

-wait again

-sand down to desired - assuming around 150 --> 320-ish

-possibly repeat?

Do I have to do the pickup cavities/control cavity? It's hard enough trying to sand those areas, let alone brush on epoxy :D I know it's easy with a spray can, but brushing means less fumes, and if this stuff is as tough as you say it is... hahaha

Any steps I might be missing/advice I might not have heard? Everything is appreciated, thanks in advance.