Has it turned TOO cream white / yellow?

Pushead

Has this vintage Les Paul turned too cream white?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here is the deal: 1977 Gibson Les Paul Custom. It used to be white (you can still see white at the bottom and in places on the neck where the paint hasn't completely worn away.) I know it will never be a vintage piece, It has a crack in the neck where the fretboard pulled away many moons ago. I'm thinking about re-finishing it, but some people are telling me that it's way too cool this way.

cream77lp.jpg

I bought this guitar because it was made on the day I was born!! I'm not worried about restoring it to vintage. I have another 77 LPC in Ebony that is in really nice shape (and made the day before I was born - what are the odds?), and a 78 Standard in Cherryburst thats also in good shape.

whut do you think?

I have an 85 Gibson Invader that has turned about the same color as yours. It's not a collectors piece so I'm refinishing. It looks like S**t now. Plus it didn't yellow the same all over, some places are almost still white and some places are passing yellow into a light brown, like where it sat on a guitar stand for too long. I'd say go for it, remember, lots of pics.

I wouldn't refinish it... I like the looks of and old original vintage guitar. Like you said you have other les pauls which look better, so why make this one look like new?

It's like doing facelifts and injection botox etc, it looks fake!

The headstock contour and the body contour gives away that it's a 70's model B)

BTW the guitar wasn't actually snow white when it was new, because the laquer Gibson used is already yellowish. So it should have been a bit ivory.

:D

man...that looks like urine when you are dehydrated ! :D

Just kidding (but it does). I think you should leave it the vintage color and buy another cheaper '03 Les Paul to be your guinnea pig for paint projects. Cuz more guitars are better! Plus it has schtick value. It's old school 70's flava' and it's aged like fine wine. Well maybe not fine wine, but old wine. B) But in 10 years it will be vintage. All the 50-60's Les Pauls will be found and stored like artifacts in some glass case and everyone will be out searching for the third oldest Les Pauls...the 70's. If this came out the same day you were born, then it's 30something years old (or twentysomething...hey wasn't that a TV show?). I mean look at some of those 50s strats you see out there...they're beat to crap, but they still fetch a crapload of $$. I mean if the guitar functions and isn't falling apart, it will be vintage one day and will be worth more if in it's original finish.

I thought 25 is vintage.

I wasn't worried about a painting project, I've got a flying V that is waiting for a new fretboard (when I get around to it, lol), inlays and some sort of finish. I think I'm going to do a denim material finish on it. Should be fun to try.

Plus, the yellow is growing on me. It's almost an inverse of the ebony sitting next to it. Gold and black next to black and gold.

• 2 weeks later...

If it were mine, I'd leave it that color. I've done kustom repaints and relics...a naturally aged white finish has a special mojo all it's own. Enjoy it, the dates thing is really trippy...I'd love to get any axe made in my birth year...unfortunately, anything with a '55 vintage is gonna cost me a kidney or two... :D

• 1 month later...

very hard to see any "white" in that mess of yellow. i'd say refinishing it would depend on how much you love it and whether or not the "yellow" has any sentimental value to it. before i refinished my strat, i made sure to take a lot of pictures of the candy apple red finish on it, 'cause i really liked it a lot, i just knew i could do better. so, if the yellow is hard to get rid of, don't, but otherwise, i would say refinish that bitch 'cause it looks like ****.

Well I was about to scream LIAR, then compliment you on your Photoshop skills, but I decided not to.

:D

What had me scratching my head was how to inlay and tuners had became yellow-ish in color too.

B)

As for refinishing it or not, I would leave it if the yellow is consistant on the body (as in, it's not patchy and tacky looking). However, the yellow inlay and tuners disturb me a little bit...

It's a Les Paul Custom, the tuners are gold. The headstock inlay has yellowed, but I'm not sure that they didn't use a yellowish inlay material in the 70s because both customs and my standard are gold too. (My 77 accoustic is silver though...)

Check your monitor, the inlays are still (farily) white. Some are chipped and thin from when it was refretted. I guess it had been refretted 2 or 3 times.

I'm not going to refinish it, I'll just keep it "dehydrated-piss yellow".

At least for now... :D

• 4 weeks later...