Wez Venables Latest

WezV

well you managed to get post 100 in this very long thread, thx for the comments!!

I will start a new thread for stuff after the telecaster is finished - i have 3 more things planned for the summer holidays and at least one of them will be purple!!!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got the tele back from Nath and it looks great - in person its a lot darker than the last photos i put on show last time, but when you take it outside you suddenly see a hell of a lot more flame.

Heres the obligatory glare shot:

XL800939.jpg

in the window and inside;

th_XL800938.jpg

th_XL800966.jpg

Maybe at the ripe age of 35 I'm finally starting to find the simplicity of the telecaster shape appealing.

This could be a major undercurrent flowing it's way to the surface...................Oh well, I guess I shouldn't fight it.

Well done, Wes on the tele to date, and the colour and burst came up a treat. Really suits it. !!! :D

cheers,Stu

cheers guys, it chould be done soon. Just debating whether it should have a scratchplate or not - so for the first time ever i am going to include a computer mock up of what it will look like

teleoptions-1.jpg

The white scratchplate looks very traditional tele and classy whilst the one with no scratchplate looks a lot more modern

I dont like the black scratchplate because it seems pointless covering up flamed maple for a scratchplate that will blend in so much

Go with the white one, the pickguard less tele looks really weird and overused to me.

compared to the number of tele's with pickguards!!!

I think i will make up a white scratchplate for it and let the guy decide for himself

Count me as the only person preferring the black pickguard. Not sure why the "blending in" aspect is seen as a negative. :D You can still clearly see (especially in real life instead of the mockup) that there's a pickguard, but it doesn't jump out at you the way the traditional white one does. I rarely buy into the "covering wood up" thing when it's a uniform pattern like the flamed maple burst. There's nothing inherently more special about the flaming that would go under the pickguard than in the parts where it IS visible. Something with unique features, like spalted maple or walnut burl is another matter.

For the version without scratchplate, remember that you have a full humbucker rout. Direct mounting the humbucker won't look as clean as in the computerized mockup.

For the version without scratchplate, remember that you have a full humbucker rout. Direct mounting the humbucker won't look as clean as in the computerized mockup.

I know that gregP - the humbucker will be in a black ring, if we do go with the scratchplate it will cover the extra screwholes for the ring anyway

thx for all you opinions, i really liked all three so it was quite difficult.

we decided on no scratchplate for now - mostly because a standard tele one wont fit. There is some discrepancy between my templates and an actual fender that means i will have to make it myself and i always get bored when working with a sheet of plastic :D

Nath is so happy with the finish he got on this, he looked gutted when i said me and the customer where discussing scratchplates

Looks great, man! I still like the pickguard idea, but I'm definitely advocating for it a little bit LESS now... the final product looks so friggin' great.