My First Commission

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks very cool, cant wait to see it finished . . . but . . .

he's buying all the materials and having them sent to me .

i have to wait for some money to clear into my credit card before i can get all the last little bits,

. . . You dont want commisions being held up by cash flow problems - that what deposits are for!!!

yeah i know. just did it this way this time cos a) i didnt know how much it would come to for parts and :D he was just letting m have what he could afford when he could afford it.

and gibson - the holes behind the bridge are for an on/off switch and the stab/comp knobs for a fuzz factory

I see the reflection of a Donnie Darko poster in the guitar top. :D

One of my all-time favorite movies. Good stuff.

The guitar looks good too. B)

+1 Donnie Darko, wicked flick!! Noticed that a while back(In a different thread I guess, can't find the pic in this one) and forgot to mention it, thanks for the reminder Rick

+1 on the nice looking guitar also, the build looks great and will definately be noticed which is great.

The only problem I foresee is the aesthetically challenged(shreks) might not like the guitar! :D

Edited by jmrentis

thats actually a great spot for them i have on offs on my teisco and i always hit them and turn on/off stuff that i dont want to. Akso on mine it really stinks because if one of the switches goes half way it shorts the guitar and you get no sound. With them under the bridge its gonna look sick and function good. It looks amazing i love how the pickups just blend right in. Keep up the great work.

Man, thats so cool. How do you get the routs so clean!? How do you get everything so clean!!!????? I mean, I haven't had a lot of practice, and my first guitar was a neckthrough with oak (aka steel) sides, but, my stuff comes out rough. How do you cut the cavity covers so exact? What do you use to cut the neck so it follows the right taper, and matches the fretboard? how everything!?

Man, thats so cool. How do you get the routs so clean!? How do you get everything so clean!!!????? I mean, I haven't had a lot of practice, and my first guitar was a neckthrough with oak (aka steel) sides, but, my stuff comes out rough. How do you cut the cavity covers so exact? What do you use to cut the neck so it follows the right taper, and matches the fretboard? how everything!?

2 things.

template

template router bit.

So does that mean you use a router to cut the neck and use a template for that as well? What kind of router bits do you guys use? My router has a guide, but its a part of the router's base, not the bit, so I have to make my templates bigger or smaller depending on the bit I'm using and whether the template is an inside or outside cut.

yeah ive got a simular router

lets say the radius of the router base is 5cm

now im going to do a state of the art diagram of a pickup template

EDIT::

wow ok did the drawing it screwed up alot.............errr my autocad was screwing up...................yeah

anyway you want to put an extra ......(fill blank) to fit the base in

Edited by tim_ado

i use a template bit. these have a roller guide on the top or the bottom of them, so you can follow a template thats the actual size of what you want. for the neck, im a bit lazy and dont have a template (i should probably do one) so i just clamp a long straight edge where it needs to be and follow that

im using a second 3-way toggle for a kill switch on this one, being on/off/on and it needs to kill the fuzz too, so it obviously goes after everything. so would i connect the back tag on the switch to ground as usual, then the centre tag to ground and one of the outer tags to the hot coming from the guitar, the other outer tag hot going to jack. would this work or am i being a tit?

any help? and yes, ive searched and found no killswitches using a 3-way

• 1 month later...

Hey there,

nice guitar mate, it's similar to one i'm going to build soon.

Could you post an explanation of how to do the 3-way toggle switch please? I plan on utilising one, but i'm not quite sure how to do it. Did you use a standard 3-way leaf switch with the 4 tags (like the gibson pickup selectors)?

Thanks in advance.

darwin - the chrome p90 was ordered direct from bare knuckle, but you can get the chrome covers pretty easily online

nick - i assume you're talking about the killswitch rather than the pup selector? if so, yes it is just a nomal 3 way toggle, and its simply the middle two tags soldered together, then a hot wire (from volume or pup selector) to one side and the earth from the back of the pots of wherever to the other side. thats it

For what it's worth, I find that temporary on buttons make better killswitches than toggles (if you just want the killswitch for the staccato effect, not to kill your guitar's signal for an extended period of time...which I use a vol pedal for anyhow). Anyhow, the buttons I've used have lasted longer than the toggles I've used (I've used both closed toggles and gibson style toggles) and they make less scratchy noise when you're using them.

peace,

russ

Ugh, dude, take your masterpieces someplace else. They're making the rest of us look bad.

Russ - How is the "feel" on the killswitches you use? I'm planning on grabbing one from RadioShack, but the ones that I've sampled, when you push the button down, feels like...... squishy. I think that's the best way to describe it. If I could get a killswitch button that feels like a playstation controller button or something, that'd be sweeeeeeet :D

I'll check some more hole-in-the-wall shops when I need to get one, maybe I'll stumble across a button that feels stiffer. Ain't no use trying to play "Jordan" with a squishy killswitch button!