Jackson - What Happened?

ive never played a jackson but my guess is that it would pretty much the same....the same people are probably making them and they way they make them is probably the same...................only now fender owns the name and company

unless they've cut back on cost things are probably exactly the same............thats my guess anyway

....the same people are probably making them and they way they make them is probably the same.

Actually, the guitarist in my band was a part of the Jackson factory until they were bought out by Fender, he lost his job because of this. So are the same people making it? No, probably not all of them. Will the quality be the same? I highly doubt they changed a thing.

well i hate fender more than anything, and jackson is my favorite brand. they have only put out 2 new jackson models since the buyout. the js30 series and the new RR24. the js series is the cheapest of the jacksons, but by far the best cheap guitar you can get. i have not played the new rhoads RR24 though. and the custom shop is still the same, so that doesnt change much.

A lot of hard core Jackson fans say the quality has dropped, and from stories I have seen, it seems to have a little. But this is also from a handfull of voices, so it probably is not that bad. I have seen a lot of complaints about the custom shop though. My understanding is that Grover Jackson is still employed by FMIC, but is mainly there for PR and does not do any design work or anything else for them anymore. Which would explain the lack of new designs. And since they are under FMIC the custom shop has become touchy about body shapes. Even ones they had previously done that are similar to other brands, they will no longer do. There are a lot of past artists models that they will not make. The Robin Crosby reverse firebird comes to mind.

lot of hard core Jackson fans say the quality has dropped, and from stories I have seen, it seems to have a little.

You really have to take that stuff with a grain of salt...people say all sorts of things with no real basis for it.I really believe the quality is the same,but jackson is also trying new options and finishes lately,which is a good thing.they are one of the few manufacturers that still at last check don't offer a model with emg pickups...time to catch up.

lot of hard core Jackson fans say the quality has dropped, and from stories I have seen, it seems to have a little.

You really have to take that stuff with a grain of salt...people say all sorts of things with no real basis for it.I really believe the quality is the same,but jackson is also trying new options and finishes lately,which is a good thing.they are one of the few manufacturers that still at last check don't offer a model with emg pickups...time to catch up.

I saw a DK1 the other day with EMG actives, a few Japanese dinky's come with EMG passives.

I think the pre-fender and fender built guitars are pretty much the same, i have played both but only own a fender made jackson DK2, still a great quality axe!

I just purchased my first electric six stringer. I picked up a Jackson JS20 dinky model. The guy I bought it from says he picked it up in 1997. The neck and frets are flawless, needs a new pup switch and jackplate. I am also doing a refinish on it. All in all, not bad for $40. I haven't played the Fender-Jacksons yet. I don't know if I would want to. So many great brands are bought out. Didn't Gibson buy Warwick... Warwick's are nothing compared to what they used to be.

I have i think a pre fender jackson rhoads and its pretty much been a lemon. The floyd broke the day after i bought it and now the output went. Im not dissapointed though because it was used and it just got me into repairing my own guitars. Its kinda funny how all the old 80's companys are coming back but if you look at it it is always gibson or fender making them. The big reason i didnt save up for the charvel evh art series was the fender humbucker imho fender cant really build that good of a humbucker i think really they should stick to single coils.

The big reason i didnt save up for the charvel evh art series was the fender humbucker imho fender cant really build that good of a humbucker i think really they should stick to single coils.

Winding a pickup isn't rocket-surgery...I doubt Fender could horribly "eff" it up. Though, you could always drop a PAF in there for authenticity anyhow. (going by memory... it WAS a PAF, right?)

I think the main reason not to get an EVH Art-series, even the mass-produced ones, is the fact that it's a blatant cash-grab.

yah the original was a paf but ive played fender humbuckers on the american double hum strat and it was not very good it didnt sound like a strat and it was too thin sounding to sound like a lespaul so i wasnt a huge fan. at least the frankenstrat is a seymour duncan reprouduced paf id it wasnt 20000 lol.

I just purchased my first electric six stringer. I picked up a Jackson JS20 dinky model. The guy I bought it from says he picked it up in 1997. The neck and frets are flawless, needs a new pup switch and jackplate. I am also doing a refinish on it. All in all, not bad for $40. I haven't played the Fender-Jacksons yet. I don't know if I would want to. So many great brands are bought out. Didn't Gibson buy Warwick... Warwick's are nothing compared to what they used to be.

If its a 97 its probably a performer series they were before the js series and there abreviation was ps. My rhoads is a ps-37 and it was made in 97-98

You guys should really take into consideration that ya'll are talking about the cheap import jacksons...The USA models are the flagships...as far as I am concerned,the imports from every company are just subbed out to the lowest bidder and then have a name slapped on...

Also keep in mind that Fender is one of the "good guys" when it comes to quality. Ever since the buyback in the mid-'80s, the company has been in a constant state of improving the quality of the product and responding to what the customers want. I think the buyout of Jackson/Charvel was a good thing for both companies because it gave Fender a route to compete with Ibanez and Jackson/Charvel the capital and support to continually improve their existing products and develop new ones.

While my guitar was an import (not cheap though, damn $aud!) i still think it's great quality, made in japan rather than india.

Heres my dk2, hand painted by some poor japanese fellow:

P4180003.jpg

Only ever seen a few of these paint jobs, not sure how many there were?