Favorite Hardware Color

zyonsdream

What color do you like?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Depends on the guitar.

Chrome and black look good with almost anything...

I like gold on certain guitars, but on some it looks really tacky.

For example:

Yes :D

No :D

I'm all about the chrome. Don't know why, but I much prefer it to most anything else. As Ben mentioned though, there are certain guitars where a certain color is the only way to go and anything else looks like crap. There are only few instances where I like the Gold look, but for those guitars the Gold looks so amazing. Black looks alright to me, but it reminds me too much of a painted guitar. I prefer to be able to see everything clearly, I prefer natural wood guitars, no paint and brighter hardware, but it doesn't work for every guitar. J

Mostly chrome (don't see nickel around much, really), but a nice black or cosmo black finish can be very attractive indeed; even Gold has its place, although I must admit to being very conservative on that count; it only looks good in certain very specific occasions, whereas chrome plays nice almost everywhere (and black looks great on natural finished guitars of all stripes, really)

I actually had that on my mind (SatinChrome), thats what I use for tuners the sperzel satin chrome, far and away my favorite tuners and color for tuners. Do have other products where satin chrome is an option like bridges or something? I really like that look, I just don't really see much of it aside from the tuners. Ideas? Thanks. J

I love old nickel. My strat has aged brilliantly over the years & I just love the organic look of the Kluson tuners & original bridge. The pickup covers on my beaten up single-cut look nicely worn too. I often browse through Billy F Gibbons' book & get all wistful thinking about those dull grey/brown bridges & covers...& don't even get me started on his Dobro's.

Despite all that, I usually use chrome on new guitars. If I can get all the hardware in nickel I will but it's quite difficult nowadays. Chrome looks nice but it doesn't age at the same rate as the rest of the guitar & can spoil it IMO. Imagine a '58 Les Paul or 60's strat with shiney chrome hardware...yuk! That's what most guitars will look like in thirty odd years. Although, I guess a lot of guitars use tougher paints now so they might not age much anyway?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Depends entirely on the guitar and its wood finish or paint scheme.

I made a 5-string bass with a bocote top, which is a light-brown wood with black grain. The hardware was the same color scheme; mostly black but with gold appointments (right down to the straplocs), I bought 2 sets of everything and swapped the parts.

bridge.jpg

So now I haven an identical second set of the same hardware that is mostly gold with black appointments, which will be a perfect match for a bass I'm building out of all red woods.

Depends entirely on the guitar and its wood finish or paint scheme.

I made a 5-string bass with a bocote top, which is a light-brown wood with black grain. The hardware was the same color scheme; mostly black but with gold appointments (right down to the straplocs), I bought 2 sets of everything and swapped the parts.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/boj...Bass/bridge.jpg

So now I haven an identical second set of the same hardware that is mostly gold with black appointments, which will be a perfect match for a bass I'm building out of all red woods.

I really like the way the gold/black swap looks!

I go for black usually.

Edited by RGman

• 1 month later...
.... What's the difference between nickel and chrome?

Quite a lot. Put them next to each other and you're unlikely to confuse one for the other. Chrome is that shiny shiny silvery sparkly car bumper look. Nickel is warmer, tarnishes more easily, lets you get that 'vintage' effect quicker.

Depends on the guitar. I had some gold hardware for a Gibson DC project, but once that went horribly tit's up I was thinking of installing it on my Eggle. However gold looks really bad with a black/gray flamed maple....... so for me it really does depend what it's on. Horses for courses and all that.