Sharkfin

Grain filling with tru-oil's a breeze. Did it on my acoustic's neck. Literally just wet-sand with oil instead of water. That'll create a sludge that as you sand will get into the pores and harden... be sure to wipe it off the surface before it gets hard there though.

Chris

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wicked! That came out excellent! I really like the shark fin cavity shape and honestly I think you should make that a staple for most of your builds, if it isn't too much of a pain to do compared to a common cavity shape. Something that comes to mind for a future build, I've seen a lot of mahogany, bloodwood, padauk, and similar colored wood laminates recently and a few of them used the little strip of black between the laminates and it looks excellent. I think this could also look pretty cool for those cavity covers, just a thin strip of black binding around them might look pretty neat. Just a thought for future stuff because I don't think this one could be any better, looks amazing! So, whats next on your to-do list for this one? J

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be building another Sharkfin in the future, so the cavity cover shape will be used again. I'm also working on a modified Sharkfin body shape that's more of a symmetrical double cut, with the bass side horn ("fin") matching the treble side. So there'll be at least a few more sharkfin cavity covers. :D Don't know if I'll use it on other builds... if it fits, sure, but I have some other ideas too.

Next to do: drill the rest of the holes (string through ferrules, back and front, tuner holes), partial headstock inlay, profiling the neck, fretboard inlay (I'm having a little difficulty with runout on my cheap drill press... I may buy a better one in a couple weeks), finishing the body while I'm working on the neck profile, fret work, hardware installation, and... finding a case. (Actually, now that I think about it, finding a case should be easy, since it'll definitely fit within the footprint of a Les Paul.)

Got the screws/magnets for the cavities installed. The reason for the weird inner control cavity route should now be apparent. :D

There's room for nine magnets in the control cavity, but I think five will be sufficient, so I left the other four tabs undrilled. Can always add them later if needed.

Now I'll attach the magnets to the covers by putting a small drop of CA on top of each magnet and pressing the covers into place.

control_cavity_magnets.jpg

Depending on what kind of magnets you got, that might even be too many :D But we'll see, I guess.

Where are you placing the thumb tab, to get the cover off?

Those magnets are amazingly strong and in using 5 sets on mine, I felt it was a tad much, but it looks like my magnets were bigger than those and my cavity smaller. In using a shape like that I would want a magnet in each area to make sure it sits nicely and doesn't rattle or lift in any section. I bet I would have used that exact same magnet placement for that cavity, it just looks like it suits it perfect. I will likely probably still use 5 on my next project, however I will be buying some smaller magnets as they stand out less, mine were a bit too large.

FWIW Rick, if you are adding a little scoop to get the cover off, I found it helpful to have either no or just a little bit of the cavity rim left where the scoop goes. For example, in your picture there are three little indentions where the cavity ledge nearly disappears and those would be good areas. I ended up just routing the ledge down at the spot I put my scoop, it just enables you to get your finger under there better. With the ledge there its very tough to get it off, especially if the cover is snug, which yours looks like. I just wanted to mention that, as I ran into that issue. I'd probably try it without it first so you don't have to mod it, but if its tough you can always try that. Its looking excellent Rick, keep those pics coming, its a beautiful instrument. J

Edit: Here is a pic that kinda shows what I mean, you can see where the finger scoop is that the ledge is ground down at an angle. It looked best this way, at first I was just going to route it deeper there, but it would have looked more like a mistake that way, well at least I think so. Cavity finger scoop

Edited by jmrentis

I would be tempted to put the cavity finger scoop on the end of the plate perpendicular to the grain instead of parallel to it, as the strength of the magnets might put stress across the plate, perhaps cracking it the more you prise the cover off. Probably a non-issue, but one i've considered previously on these. I'm still using screws so i've not put it to the test :-D

Yes, I see the turtle shape. :D I thought it looked more like a very hungry Pepperidge Farm Goldfish cracker though.

I was considering putting in a scoop to make it easier to get the cover off, but its soon-to-be owner wants it without one. There's enough room to pry the cover off with a guitar pick anyway.

By the way, if you decide to use those magnets, keep them away from kids and pets. If they swallow one it's no problem, but more than one, and they're in for surgery... they'll get lodged in the digestive tract and do all sorts of nasty things. (Just a precautionary warning--this hasn't actually happened in my shop. But I started thinking about it when my dog ate an entire 10-pack of watch batteries and I ended up having to make him bring them back up. :D )

I would have thought your entire workshops worth of sharp tools flying across the room at your dogs stomach would be a more immediate concern! :D

Stupid question but how do you get the cover off? it's bad enough with a recessed cover thats just held in by screws!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...