Do You Listen To Any Music When You're Working At Your Shop?

Your shop and your music  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thought it would be interesting to get to know people's work environment more. So...

The title says it all - Do you listen to any music when you're working at your shop? (or wherever you build your guitars).

And if so, what type of music do you usually listen to? And how - portable MP3's, boomboxes, or built-in speaker?

I mounted a 10-disc car cd player/radio and speakers under the wall cabinets in my garage. It was just laying around in a box and I couldn't think of a better use for it. Radio Shack supplied the DC power converter.

The music changes frequently, but right now it's loaded with Rush, Chris Cornell, REM, Mark Knopfler, Jethro Tull, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Robin Trower, Bad Company, Beatles, and BTO.

I run my computer through a receiver with Kenwood cabinets. I go on "youtube" and create a playlist.

I listen to:

Steve Morse, Ted Greene, Josco Stephan, Tommy Emanual, Brent Mason, Andy McKee, Rory Gallager, Albert Lee, Hayley Westenra, Eva Cassidy, Toto, The Tubes, Eagles, Don Henly, Maroon Five, Allison Krauss, Bonnie Rait, James Taylor, Michael Mcdonald, Vince Gill, Reba McIntyre, Celtic Woman (@Slanes Castle) Boston, Etc..., Etc...

Many more...too many to list

I like my shop quiet…the only noises come from my machines and I ware head muffs. I like the tranquility of working on a project and communing with my thoughts.

I'm the same way. I need dead silence to concentrate when working with tools that could remove my fingers / hands in a split second. Not that I'm nervous when working with these tools, I just prefer to concentrate on the tool and not music.

All the time. Music helps me relax and think. I think it's my generation, we grew up constantly having music/sounds fill our head that it actually helps us relax and concentrate. I listen on a small cheap boombox (because I'm afraid the dust will kill anything nice) but sometimes I wear my shure e2 earbuds (brand new from goodwill for $10, heck yeah) when using router/anything loud because of the earplug effect of them. Of course I also sing sometimes, especially when I'm drawing out templates or doing some other long boring task. It's a great place to sing at the top of your lungs where no one will be annoyed.

i dont like listening to music when i work. i will get distracted by the music, and start thinking about the playing of the music. ever since i started playing, i dont see it as just music anymore, when i hear it, i see the guitar playing and the composition of the music.

also, this can be bad because you will concentrate on the music and not on the work. just like with long repettive work. like perry stated a while back. repettive work is what causes mistakes, because your mind starts to wonder. but i am also obsessive compulsive and i see things very one way.

With out fail. In fact unless the telly is on, there's always music playing unless I'm on the job or asleep :D

I used to work in the spare bedroom and used to play music through my PC that was in the room. I sold it to my mate after a couple of years and got a rather amusing phone call a few days later. Apparently the heatsink and tranny had about an inch of sawduct covering them. He could smell smoke and then realised that it was comming from the computer. Nearly set alight to his house :D

I nearly always have the radio on, or my ipod on. I find I work much better with background music or conversation, and it's much less tempting to sneak off and check email/sneak a peek at TV/etc. If I stick my ipod on shuffle I can keep going for hours until I suddenly realise the time, and how long it is since I took a break.

Yep, the first I do when I get in the workshop is put some music on. I tend to listen to quite mellow stuff when I'm working (I save the Metal for when I'm out on the bike). I've become obsessed with Jackson Browne lately, I can easily play his live acoustic album over & over all day without getting sick of it... oh and Newton Faulkner's debut album has been blasting out my speakers a lot over the last couple of weeks too.

• 4 weeks later...

If you guys have a computer around, or a device that can stream from the computer (don't know if that's possible). Check out www.last.fm. Just entire the genre or artist you want to play and it will stream music all day long. I have found some pretty cool progressive metal acts from the program, I'm usually on when I'm at the computer.