New Commission

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That should be a great job for you.

What are your finish schedule details?

I.e., how are you filling pores, how are you applying finish, what finish are you using now, etc.

Also, what hardware details did he choose?

I have probaby built a guitar from just about every popular hardwood you can name (and probably a few you couldn't) but have never built nor bought nor owned a single piece of swamp ash.

When I look at your body, it reminds me of some Hard Northern Ash I used to have, heavy as all hell it was.

Congrats on yet another commissioned job !

:D :D B)

This one is nice and light, have not weighed it yet but it's substantially lighter than a comparable piece of mahogany.

On your finish questions, I am using Krystal clear which is a two part conversion varnish where you have to mix in the hardener. It works great for me. Excellent cure time, very easy to apply, and has great durability and clarity. I'm using epoxy to grain fill and the trans tint color will be added to the clear and sprayed on.

Hardware looks like a hipshot bridge EMG pickups and schaller tuners with ebony buttons, and of course recessed strap locks. :D

Gold and black do look very good on green... but so does white. My superstrat-parts-o'-caster has a Kramer body finished in an alarming shade of pastel surf green. However, gold hardware and white EMGs set it off very nicely. Unfortunately, I have no pictures.

But, if he's open to it, I'd recommend the white EMGs and pearl or white buttons on the tuners just to do something different from everyone else who uses the black EMGs. They stand out pretty nice, too.

He has not really decided on gold/black/chrome yet but I agree that both black and gold look great over green.

I'll try both tinting the epoxy and strait up clear and see what look he likes best. Right now I'm using liquid anilyne dyes, but I'm open to any suggestions if you know of something that would suit my purpose better. :D

The only suggestion I would make is that you don't have to chase down a particular green, if you have some blue and yellow, you can custom mix them until you find exactly what green you're looking for.

And on top of that, if you DO have a green that's close, you can alter it with either blue or yellow to 'drift' it wherever you want to go with it.

I seem to remember Driskill having a full color green guitar on his site that I believe was Ash that looks very close to your pic.

Yes, white does look good on green too. If I ever get around to doing a green-ish body, mine wants to be like this here, my all time favorite blue-green guitar color, with gold and white. Looove that guiter scheme. :D

501928_4_full.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I like that chuck of wood a lot and reckon the body is really gracefull whilst still being a bit mean... good stuff

personally i am not sure about the headstock but i like the accent in the splice. i have done that a few times and it always gets comments from people when they are playing it!!

• 1 month later...

Sorry I haven't updated this, haven't had much time to goof off lately as I've had tons of work.

It's almost done, just the top needs to be carved than it's off the finishing booth.

I have some pictures on my camera, I just need to get them off. Will up updated shortly with pictures.

I'm also working on a wenge/quilted maple in this same body shape for the same guy, and now it's looking like this swamp ash guitar will be a shade of red and the maple guitar will be blue.

• 2 months later...
is the neck not glued in, or is there a negative neck angle?

I believe the carving on the horns just makes it appear that way from a certain angle.

Indeed.

The neck is not glued in yet, but it does have an angle, the carving of the horns just makes it look like that.

Daniel,I really like the way you sculpted and shaped the body.The headstock seems to have a slight curve to compliment the body on the low e side.I got a better sense of it when you posted the body and neck together.I really look forward to your work in the future as most builder get even better as time goes by.Your work is pretty fine now as it is.

Awesome so far. The cutaways are a bit too 'sharp' for my tastes-- blunt off the points just a smidge and it would be 100% up my alley.

Looking forward to seeing more!