Dragonforce = Worst Band Ever

ibanezplayer

For me, that's the feeling I get from Dragonforce. They just make me cringe and wince.

There was another band a few years ago that was getting alot of radio airplay and alot of credit for being "great musicians" ,whilst all they were doing was throwing out cheese ...I can't think of the name...but before them was that band that did "I hate everything about you",and before that,the band with "the chainsaw song".

It just seems those type of bands find a niche amongst the "bubble gum rockers",while great bands fall by the wayside...So yeah,they make me jealous that they get the chance they don't deserve,and serious musicians get to be garbagemen and carpenters...because let's face it...most musicians are so left brained that aside from being great musicians,they aren't good at much else....I just think every good musician/songwriter should be able to pass an exam and get put into a "who to call" database as session musicians and such....the music business is so inbred for the most part that ALOT of good music will never exist.

Anyway.There I go ranting again... :D

Tim...I used to be less than complementary towards "blast beat" drummers...until I watched some videos of the drummer of Warface doing his thing recently...total respect now.there is more going on than you may think.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was another band a few years ago that was getting alot of radio airplay and alot of credit for being "great musicians" ,whilst all they were doing was throwing out cheese ...I can't think of the name...but before them was that band that did "I hate everything about you",and before that,the band with "the chainsaw song".

That would be "Jackal". I don't mind Jackal so much either. I'm not a big fan, but I won't knock them too much either. They know what they are, they don't pretend to be anything other than that, and they don't take themselves too seriously.

(getting on the soapbox)

Speaking of lack of recognition, how about Rush! Snubbed every year by the R&R-HoF, largely ignored by radio, and generally considered "also-rans" in the guitar magazines unless there's a new album. Geddy & Neil are almost universally recognized as among the top 2-3 in their instrument. I don't know is Alex is capable of thinking inside the box. Insightful lyrics, masterful musicianship, critical acclaim by their peers.... Yea, I can see why nobody acknowledges them.

You can thank Guitar Hero for making them popular. Before GH, they were unknown to the masses.

i must confess i got GH3 at xmas and am pretty hooked - but the dragonforce song on it is stupid.

Guitar hero is really at its best when a few people are round and the alcohol is flowing. then somebody chooses to play dragonforce. the song is far to long and repetative to make a good game.. everyones bored by the end of it and whilst i normally walk away from the game humming cheesy rock tunes no part of the dragonforce song stays in my head. Its made me less likely to give them a proper listen

I absolutely HATE Guitar Hero. It's not because the game isn't fun or that it's mega-popular or anything like that. All this money, time, and effort is spent learning to be really good at PRETENDING to play guitar. Take all the money, time, and effort and put it into playing a REAL guitar instead. Real is better than pretend any day of the week in this case.

I absolutely HATE Guitar Hero. It's not because the game isn't fun or that it's mega-popular or anything like that. All this money, time, and effort is spent learning to be really good at PRETENDING to play guitar. Take all the money, time, and effort and put it into playing a REAL guitar instead. Real is better than pretend any day of the week in this case.

Actually, Guitar Hero have made me a better guitar player. Of course I do practice a lot, but it feels like I've progressed faster than before I had Guitar Hero, and especially my left hand. I've become faster and more accurate (not saying that I'm good though :D), and overall better than before. But I can see your point.

(getting on the soapbox)

Speaking of lack of recognition, how about Rush! Snubbed every year by the R&R-HoF, largely ignored by radio, and generally considered "also-rans" in the guitar magazines unless there's a new album. Geddy & Neil are almost universally recognized as among the top 2-3 in their instrument. I don't know is Alex is capable of thinking inside the box. Insightful lyrics, masterful musicianship, critical acclaim by their peers.... Yea, I can see why nobody acknowledges them.

I agree, Rush combine virtuosity with skillful songwriting, this for example

B000002IRM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

is an amazing album.

Why credit is DF getting that someone else deserves? The credit DF gets is from pop culture and extremism.

They have the exact same kind of 'credit' that The Cheetah Girls have - record sales; something completely unrelated to quality, originality, or even authenticity of your (or anyone else's) own material.

I guess I'm in the dark about DF's actual status in the music industry. Do they actually accrue anything worth having (other than money?), such as critical acclaim?

Isn't what we all want to say just 'My God, why does the mass public have such horrible taste?' and isn't the answer to that self-evident anyways?

It's called MONEY.....if someone can package it and sell it ,you get it ...if you like it or not.Alot of times lately it has nothing to do with skill.There are bands out there that have pros do the stuido work...to keep the cost down.Then in concert they sound like crap,but they sell the cd's.And of course the target cd and ticket buyers do not know the differents ,they just have to be flavor of the month,year etc.Some of the best players ,just do not have the target age group.If they sell they play ,if not they don't.MONEY,MONEY ,MONEY.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

to the other guy...Rush?really?they get more radio play than anyone except Pink Floyd ,Led Zeppelin,etc...I turn off the radio when Rush comes on...They ARE talented I guess,but top 2 or 3 with their instruments?There again,they are getting too much credit when others are much better.

Isn't what we all want to say just 'My God, why does the mass public have such horrible taste?

You said it...I agree 100%

The mass public likes what they're told to like. They think what they're told to think. They don't want to do any investigation for themselves. Uncaring laziness, unconcerned apathy.

Apparently, DF became popular because of GH. That they wer eput into a game called Guitar Hero must mean that Herman Li is a.... (wait for it.....) guitar hero. A guitar hero is by defination a great guitarise, therefore DF must be a great band. The public was told they're good, therefore the puiblic thinks they are.

We could go on forever and cite example after example of this in every area of life: politics, religion, fashion, recreation, technology, etc. When someone rises from the crowd and tells the public to think for themselves, they're executed by the very ones who tell everyone what to think.

Don't believe me? Martin Luther King went against the grain and told America to think for themselves instead of doing what they're told. He told the public to do what's right, not what's established. Bang - dead.

(Not starting a religous debate, just citing the events!) Jesus told the public to follow the scriptures instead of the Pharasees & Saducees. That would have taken power from the P&S's, so he was sent through a kangaroo court & executed with the support of the masses. Bang - dead.

Maybe I went off on a pretty far tangent, but the underlying principle is the same. The public thinks what they're told to think. If you go against the grain and think for yourself, you're a freak and just don't get it. If you encourage others to do the same, you're a dangerous revolutionary and must be eliminated.

Dragonforce is a fine example of mediocre speed metal. Good STUDIO band, but they're so drunk and high on stage they cant do ****! Herman li has some talent, but he thinks he's better than he is and throws in stuff even he cant play right.:D

you're a dangerous revolutionary and must be eliminated.

elche.png

:D

Sorry, I don't really have anything to say this time. :D

Edited by Telesque

• 2 weeks later...

These discussions crack me up. The general public doesn't know jack about music...from a technical standpoint. They listen to DF and they hear some guys playing the guitar really fast. If you tried to explain to them why you think DF sucks so much, they would just look at you with a blank look and say "What?" They don't have your understanding of the technical side of music. Most honestly don't care. If it sounds kinda cool and you can tap you foot to it, or it is entertaining in any other way, average people are happy to buy it. Are these people stupid mindless sheep because they don't possess your "vast knowledge of music" and "ability to judge who is and isn't talented"? No. They just listen to what sounds good to them without over analyzing every note.

So as an artist you have a choice to make...do you pursue critical acclaim(with deep, out of the box music) or record sales. A rare few manage both.

These discussions crack me up. The general public doesn't know jack about music...from a technical standpoint. They listen to DF and they hear some guys playing the guitar really fast. If you tried to explain to them why you think DF sucks so much, they would just look at you with a blank look and say "What?" They don't have your understanding of the technical side of music. Most honestly don't care. If it sounds kinda cool and you can tap you foot to it, or it is entertaining in any other way, average people are happy to buy it. Are these people stupid mindless sheep because they don't possess your "vast knowledge of music" and "ability to judge who is and isn't talented"? No. They just listen to what sounds good to them without over analyzing every note.

So as an artist you have a choice to make...do you pursue critical acclaim(with deep, out of the box music) or record sales. A rare few manage both.

This reminds me of one of Rockhound's lines in Armageddon: "I hate knowing everything!"

This is a little like my first concert after picking up the guitar. I couldn't just enjoy the music. I was constantly watching the guitarist to try to figure out what he was doing. It was probably 10 years before I could see a band and enjoy the group as a whole again.

• 3 weeks later...