Acoustics? (rooms, That Is!)

Telesque

Do you have a special place to play due to acoustics?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I play in my living room, but not because of any special sound quality. I'll have to answer no, but I certainly am aware of certain places (like the showroom, or an old performance theater) that have a pleasant ambiance to them. The concrete halls/walls at school are much less pleasant.

I play in my bathroom in front of the mirror, no not so I can look at myself (I'm not that vain) but because acoustics (guitars) sound really really good in front of the hard surface of the mirror in the small reverb chamber of the bathroom.

I *wish* I had an acoustically perfect room in my house to play in, I've played in some nice studios and the difference is night and day. I would play my electric in the bathroom as well, but I'm not lugging all that equipment in there. But the acoustics of the room definitely make a difference in electrics as well, just ask any recording engineer why they record the amps in acoustically perfect studios.

it wont just let me vote no

Sorry bout that- I immediately realized I forgot to include a simple 'no' option after I posted the poll. :D

I've been known to sneak into the bathroom with my acoustic (and my flute)!

If i get a long enough extension cable my amp will sit nicely in the bath...

Edited by joshvegas

• 1 month later...

I would play in my bathroom but don't feel like carrying 50+ lbs. of equipment in there (guitar, amp, effects, etc...) my bedroom works nicely enough as long as i do not face the computer or I get robotic sounding hum galore. I wish I had a dedicated guitar room....

I would play in my bathroom but don't feel like carrying 50+ lbs. of equipment in there (guitar, amp, effects, etc...) my bedroom works nicely enough as long as i do not face the computer or I get robotic sounding hum galore. I wish I had a dedicated guitar room....

You only have 50lbs of equipment? Lucky :D hahaha

I have a pretty big closet in my room, so I'm drafting plans to make an isolation box/booth for my amp, so I can do some recording in there. Otherwise I just play in the bedroom. It's one of those weird not-supposed-to-be-a-bedrooms that was clearly attic storage or something. Small, one window, and one wall is slanted because of the roof. Ain't the best for acoustics *shrug* but I do most of my recording (until now) direct anyways.

On a semi-related note, does anyone have any suggestions for good, cheap isolation box insulation materials?

• 4 weeks later...

sloping roof is much better for acoustics than a parallel floor and ceiling! The ideal room would have a sloping ceiling and no parallel walls. Banging your head not so good.

• 5 months later...

im living in a one room shack right now, all metal, and i never really noticed a difference from playing in an actual room as compared to a shack. my only option besides outside, but outside is too loud. i guess i could try playing on the other side of the room to see if there is a difference lol. ;0