Third Project, A Paula.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the stain. Question, though; is it 'standard procedure' to stain, sand back, and then stain again? The only reason I can think of why this is done is so there is a deeper color to the flame, but I'm not sure so I'd like to know.

Thanks!

Thanks to you all for the compliments.

Yes, GR. The purpose is to enhance the flames. But you have to be cautious. If the first stain is too dark and/or not sanded off enough you run the risk of "fixing" the flame (as in less 3D effect). A normal 1-step staining renders the deepest 3D effect, but with a less dramatic flame. You have to try to achieve a balance. The two I have stained so far have been double-stained and I like the results. It's more work. Sanding the stain off is a PITA.

PRS still double-stains most high price models. I read that Gibson did it for a while with their Custom Shop guitars and now they don't do it anymore.

This is the top with some sanding sealer nitro applied. This should be closer to what the color will look like when finished:

IMG_0412.jpg

Oh jeez, that's a keeper. What a way to make that maple pop, congrats! Is that natural binding on the sides, or does the maple continue under the binding? I'm citing the top of the horn, specifically. Not too keen on the shelf at the center of the knobs, but I'm thinking that it will come together nicely once there's hardware on.

Oh jeez, that's a keeper. What a way to make that maple pop, congrats! Is that natural binding on the sides, or does the maple continue under the binding? I'm citing the top of the horn, specifically. Not too keen on the shelf at the center of the knobs, but I'm thinking that it will come together nicely once there's hardware on.

Yes, the maple on this one is much nicer than I thought. And I'm liking this color a lot, I think I'll use it again with my future LP-hollowbody.

There is no separate binding. What you see is just the edge of the maple top left unstained. I used a method posted not too long ago here. I can't seem to find it now, masking the top and cutting the tape parallel to the edge with a small tool, then lacquering the binding-to-be for sealing before staining the top.

I know what you mean about the recesses of the controls. It's there to house the nut/washer and help in keeping the knob low. It looks horrible now, but it's invisible when the knob is there.

I believe it was Perry who said once he uses a rag soaked in thinner(alcohol for alcohol based stains,water for water based,etc) to wipe away the excess first coat until it reached the "sanded back" look...without sanding...then wait to dry and apply the other coat.

Both Perry and David have posted the same comment. That's how I do mine, but I still sand to get the highs to be clearer (lighter) than the figure.

Nice looking, lets get it finished!!!

• 1 month later...

Well, now it has been finished.

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

I had significantly less problems that on my previous one. I had a small problem on the headstock face that will require touch-up. A small pore let some water in when wet sanding and developed in a 5-6mm long crack. I'll see tomorrow what's the damage and how to correct it. But it should not be too difficult.

So still not perfect. But I think she looks pretty good and is going to be a mighty singlecut !!!

While the lacquer was curing I did most of the fretwork, so it should be about right when I string her up.

I'm looking forward to assembling and calibrating her. I'm really enthusiastic and curious to hear her voice !!!

In a few days she'll have some strings on and will be a guitar for the first time.

Thanks, guys !!

It's true, this top is amazing. I'm already looking forward to making my own.

I think I'm going to follow the same carving pattern and quite possibly the same color.

I have assembled it already. The nut still needs a little attention and it has no truss-rod cover yet. Also the little crack on the headstock face needs to be repaired.

But it plays great !! And sounds very good at low volumes. I still need to spend some more time playing it at a more realistic volume, and comparing against other guitars to know where she stands, sonically speaking.

It has a very good sustain, that's for sure. And acoustically is quite loud, no doubt thanks to the big chamber in there.

Looks killer too. It's going to be hard to see it going with the new owner....

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

Soon I'll finish it and will take take good pictures for a Finished Build thread.