http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo34/RA.../Picture053.jpg

It still needs to be sanded to shape and leveled

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

How heavy is it?

not tooooo bad but its not a light one

how expensive is it???

Its up there!! 29.00$ a bord foot

How is the dust?

Its bad but the zebra wood is the worst!!! that stuff stinks and my blood wood is the best it smells like cinnamon :D I love cuting it my whole shop smels like Christmas baking

Also watch the splinters as they go septic easily

This is very true, I was also told thet a Wenge Splinter has Small Barbs like a fish hook and thats why they Hurt so much and can be a bit hard to pull, and the wenge Splinters very easy. So any one thats going to try this wood for the first time just watch for these things and you will be just fine :D

Its bad but the zebra wood is the worst!!! that stuff stinks and my blood wood is the best it smells like cinnamon.

Oh, I LOVE the smell of bloodwood when it's being worked. It makes up for what it does to the tools. I just did some desk clocks with some bocote. It smelled pretty nice too.

The zebra I have wasn't as rank as everyone else says it is. Maybe I just got lucky. It was pretty prone to chip-out, which made planing an adventure.

I was working with a bunch of woods for the desk clocks, so I can't remember which one, either butternut or basswood... DANG! Straight-up dirty underwear. It's just gawd-offal.

Its bad but the zebra wood is the worst!!! that stuff stinks and my blood wood is the best it smells like cinnamon.

Oh, I LOVE the smell of bloodwood when it's being worked. It makes up for what it does to the tools. I just did some desk clocks with some bocote. It smelled pretty nice too.

The zebra I have wasn't as rank as everyone else says it is. Maybe I just got lucky. It was pretty prone to chip-out, which made planing an adventure.

I was working with a bunch of woods for the desk clocks, so I can't remember which one, either butternut or basswood... DANG! Straight-up dirty underwear. It's just gawd-offal.

i think bocote smells like pickles :D not that bad, but i wouldn't say it smelled nice either :D

i think bocote smells like pickles not that bad, but i wouldn't say it smelled nice either

I guess that depends on wither or not you like pickles :D

• 2 weeks later...
Its bad but the zebra wood is the worst!!! that stuff stinks and my blood wood is the best it smells like cinnamon :D I love cuting it my whole shop smels like Christmas baking

thats it, christmas guitar, it has to be done. if its not already been done im doing it.

glitter, tinsel, fairy lights, the works. it will sound like crap, but look so festive!

After working with it for a while, I can clearly state that Longhi, while being VERY easy to work and has a nice neutral yellow-ish color, smells like a$$. There's no better way to put it - it just smells like a$$. Dirty a$$ at that.

Yea - bocote smelled OK, and was pretty easy to work. Looks nice too. Hella-expensive, though.

You wouldn't want to sand bloodwood & maple side by side. You'd have a really hard time getting the bloodwood dust out of the maple's grain. I haven't noticed maple's smell being good or bad.

It's a kind of pity that longhi smells so bad. It's cheap, easy to work with, and is a neutral olive-yellow that contrasts very well with many other woods. I actually like working with it, but I just can't stand the smell.

Worst wood I ever smelled is that really nice-looking dark-striped poplar - apparently it looks like that because it grows close to swamps. But it smells like dead animals.

I've had the same thing happen. Some poplar with dark purple and green mineral stripes that look pretty nice actually, but smells horrible to work with. Clean white popalr has almost no smell, but it seems those mineral stains get a pretty nasty smell.

I wonder if it was the Wenge or the Purple heart that reaked so bad when I was sanding a few weeks ago? One of them was bad! Bloodwood does smell nice, so does Jatoba, but with a really good dust mask on and the dust collector running, I don't notice any of them. I think that's a good thing!

Todd

I wonder if it was the Wenge or the Purple heart that reaked so bad when I was sanding a few weeks ago? One of them was bad!

Had to be the wenge. I've worked with PH a few times and never noticed a smell. I can't testify about th ewenge, but I seem to remember reading a post here about it smelling awful.

It's probably a bad thing as inexperienced new builders should know the potential health implications of wood dust before they go snorting it to see what it smells like. If you're producing dust fine enough for you to get a burning nose (and the usual wood boogers/bogies) then you're going to suffer in the long run, perhaps pick up some sensitivity in the short term.