Guitar Of The Month For March

Guitar of the Month for March  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My vote went to SwedishLuthier for his beautiful burgundy guitar!

That shape is so provocative!, with the purple/Burgundy finish that guitar looks hot

also the trippy inlay on the 12fret and truss rod cover make it even tripper!

Great work everyone!

As with most months all the builds were great! but...

+ 1 for swedish!

Carousel nearly got the vote for me but i just like everything about the northstar so i couldn't go past it.

Nice build Avengers your builds are getting better and better, i hope the owner loves it!

Thanks for the nice words. My thoughts about this month’s entries:

Carousel

Nice guitar and a good job. The carved curly cedar contrasts beautiful against the simple thick black binding. And a great looking curly maple neck. Too bad with the ding on the end of the fretboard… And you should really have taken the time to make the final control cover before entering. That is something that everyone should consider.

Kings X

All thou it looks like a nicely finished guitar with great neck it doesn’t really make it for me. It might be the shape of the body that look a bit too robust, or the head that might have needed a bit more attention. Anyway that is only my opinion and it really looks like a fine executed build and finish job. But the same thing about finishing things off 100% before entering applies here too…

Ihocky2

Really nice woods and colors and a great looking binding. Maybe I’m too much of a traditionalist but that head and that body doesn’t make it for me. And like the above entries you should have taken time to get the control cavity and truss rod cover in place before entering. I keep arguing about that as it really draws the attention away from the rest of the build.

Low end fuzz

Great combination of woods and I really like the semi-elevated middle section. IMHO you should change to regular chrome tuners to go with the chrome bridge. I like that you match the knobs to the rest of the guitar. Great job.

Avanger

Bloodwood is really nice and the longhi was a new one for me, but really great looking! Looks like it would be the perfect choice for a TV special as it wouldn’t require any coloration at all… The guitar looks nice and I really like the recessed truss rod cover. I see some minor issues with the neck/body joint (might just be the picture). Apart from that a good looking guitar and great story.

Marcovis

Looks like a really high quality build but a bit too ”standard” too stand out here. You might also consider a better background when shooting the pictures as it is really hard to see the bass clear enough.

SJE

Really nice to see someone from Asia entering. Also really great to see some of your native wood being used. The Afzelia Xylocarpa looks really interesting. Unfortunately the body design doesn’t make it for me. The upper horn is unusual, but that is OK. I like a design that is departing from that traditional (when it isn’t an icon like a Telecaster…). But unfortunately the lower horn looks bulky and possible really uncomfortable with that crisp edge. If you had rounded it over and maybe redesigned it a bit it would have scored higher point from me. And you should really considering rounding over the bone nut. It adds a bit of professionalism to the look.

Roman (RFR)

A great guitar, as usual. Not much more to add. Maybe only that I would have liked more pictures.

Hydrogeoman

Nice Tele. I love Teles and from the beginning the purpleheart centrestrip and added “ramp” at the head made me feel like it was a bit too odd. I’m really a traditionalist when it comes to Teles… But it started to grow on me. A great Tele.

Foil

Nice build and as you mention it is your first from scratch build it brings out some promises for the future. The design looks a bit rough, but at the same time resembles some really classic lines. It might need some tweaking to really be right up my alley but a really great first attempt at a scratch build.

CAROUSEL182

It looks like you did a nice clean job on it, but nothing jumps out at me to make it stand out from the crowd.

KINGS X

This variation on the Red Special doesn't do anything for me. The headstock is clunky and I don't like that the grain on the control cavity cover is going in a different direction.

IHOCKY2

I remember seeing this in a build thread a long time ago. I REALLY like the idea of using banding strips for binding. I'm gonna have to use that idea now that I've seen that it works. Nice job.

LOW END FUZZ

I like the split-level top you have here. It's a really nice effect. What I don't like is the lack of a bass horn. It imbalances the whole thing visually.

Avengers63

:D

MARCOVIS

It takes a good hard look to see that this isn't a standard Fender P/J bass. In one sense, that's a really good thing. For GOTM, though, it just doesn't stand out enough.

SJE-GUITARS

I'm sorry... I hate the body shape. They stick out in a really funky way. The bass horn is way too thick & chunky.

RFR

It looks like your usual work - very nicely done and very clean. We only have two pics though, so it's hard to get a real impression of it.

SWEDISH LUTHIER

The second I say this, I knew my chances this month were gone. There are a lot of details on this one, all done exceptionally well. The one thing I don't like is the control cavity cover. I usually like that the cap wood is displayed on the back, but not this time. Probably because it's purple-bursted. It doesn't look right in the big field of brown. Other than that, you soundly kicked our collective butts this month. Good job... now knock it off!!! :D

HYDROGEOMAN

Nice clean work.

FOIL1MORE

The body shape is a little wonky. I can't put my finger on it. The f-hole is too far forward. The finish looks... sticky. Maybe it's just the pics.

this is one month when i didnt even have to look at the entries again - there was always a clear winner!

carousel - i really like the top wood, not sure the strat headstock shape suits it.. a 3x3 or 2x4 head would have really made it

king X - i like the spec... and the neck, but there seems a lot of wasted space bridge, and pickups seem close together, and controls seem close together - but lots of space not used, a carved top may have helped that. The headstock seems clumsy

ihockey - there ae a few things on this that dont tie together. i like the blue tele, i like thinlines - but you lost me with the banding and snowflake inlays

low end fuzz - i like this a lot. i really like the shape and the split level design - not sure the headstock works well with it though

avenger - i really like the colours and shapes on this - but it is let down by missing screws, the headstock (which admittedly worked well with what you had) and the fix on the bass side of the neck pocket

marcovis - loving the work, its perfect. but maybe its only flaw (or the thing that stopped me voting) is it seeming so familiar

SJE - i really like the woods and construction, very organic. the shape, in particular the cutaways/horns dont do it for me

RFR - i like the electro/acoustic thing and teh construction is top notch as always - what i really want is sound clips!

swedishluthier - perfection. for a start its purple!! the shape is different but very very nice. Its purple. those side inlays are awesome. Its purple. i suppose the back could be prettier if i am picking faults. oh yeah, its purple :D

hydro - i really like most of this but the scratchplate shape looses me as does what ever happens after the 21st fret. but kudos for getting dice knobs in there

foil - it has lots of potential but i think the shape needs a bit of work to really flow as a design

carousel: Nice work, great looking top. I would be proud if my instruments would look that good

KingsX: That is one weird headstock you got there, but the neck looks beautiful. As does the back of the guitar (including the cavity cover... could have been better, but I still prefer that from any white or black cover). But I never liked flat tops...

ihocky: obviously a nice piece of work, I just don't like the shape at all...

low end fuzz: I would have used a headstock veneer (the woods look really good but they just don't match with the body front & fretboard), otherwise I LOVE the body & headstock shape and the woods

avenger: Great body shape, cool woods on top... I just don't like the look of the backside.

Marcovis: Nice work and the neck seems to look great.

SJE-Guitars: This one would have gotten my vote. If it wasn't for the headstock... unlike some others, I prefer woods AND shape (including horns & cutaways) to those of any other instrument in this vote.

RFR: OMG... that top looks incredible :D

Swedish Luthier: The cavity cover looks kinda out of place, but all together a close second to SJE-guitars baritone. I just can't stand the headstock of that one, so this one got my vote (I could look at the back of the neck forever...).

Hydrogeoman: Telecaster shape... and as soon as I see this shape, I don't like what I see. Beautiful neck.

foil1more: Is that gold hardware on the last pick? If so, I'd say it looks much better with what is shown on the first picture. I just don't like the pickguard. Otherwise, nice work!

It was a close call between Swedish and Carousel for me this month.

As someone else mentioned, not a huge fan of the purple control cavity cover on Swedish's build. Which is what sealed the vote for Carousel's very simple and stylish build.

I usually don't comment on the different builds, but I vote every single month.

It's a great pleasure to look at some of the instruments you people make.

This month I voted for Swedish's D-licious: Original, daring design and beautifully built.

I would have probably tried something a little more daring for the headstock shape, and I don't like the maple control cover. But overall it is a fantastic guitar. Congrats.

Second position would be for the Abbey. Classic looks and a nice touch of originality.

And I would give special mentions to low_end_fuzz' Aluna for the originality and consistency of the design and simple and clean execution, and to Marcovis' bass, you can't get any more classic and still not copy one of uncle Leo's creations.

Many nice guitars this month. Congratulations to all.