Asylum Astrocaster

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the build thusfar! It's lookin real nice, the HS veneer is a nice touch.

Yeah thx - I nearly didn't go with it - I struggled to get a veneer with grain good enough to match. I asked a guy I was buying some other veneer from if he had any figured maple I could buy and he threw me some really nice maple veneer in as a freebie with the rest of my order! :D

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Dying figured maple is sooooo much fun!

SR

It is when you remember to put gloves on! lol.

Luckily it's water-based.....

Anyway time for a long awaited update.

Been sneaking in the odd few minutes/half hour here an' there and this is where we're up to now.

this is the jig I made to route the recess for the cover plate.

GEDC0628-1.jpg

Recess cut.

GEDC0629.jpg

Test fit.

GEDC0630.jpg

GEDC0631.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So.... I need some advice.... I'm about to start finishing this & I plan on using waterborne KTM-9.

This is my 1st time using KTM-9 as I normally use nitro or Acrylic.

Any advice on how to deal with the Ash would be appreciated. Anyone recommend anything easily available in the UK that I can use to grain fill the ash that won't react with the KTM-9?

I use KTM-9 exclusively and have never had any problem with ash. However I don't get it really, you have already dyed the wood and now you wnat to grain fill? I would have grain filled before dye. As it sits right now my only advise is to go heavy on the KTM-9 on the back so that you can very carefully sand everything flat. Brace yourself for something like 15-20 coats to get the pores filled. The only alternative I se apart from that is to use clear grain filler if you can get that. Crystalac had some that I sill have half a bucket of that work fine with KTM-9. but apart from that I haven't really seen anything like that.

Acrylic is the same thing as waterbased lacquer. You should be able to use whatever you used for that before.

Thx fpr that - I tried some of the shellac that I normally use on some scrap & then when it was dry I brushed on some KTM - fingers crossed - so far it's still good, but I'll give it a couple of more days to be sure

I use KTM-9 exclusively and have never had any problem with ash. However I don't get it really, you have already dyed the wood and now you wnat to grain fill? I would have grain filled before dye. As it sits right now my only advise is to go heavy on the KTM-9 on the back so that you can very carefully sand everything flat. Brace yourself for something like 15-20 coats to get the pores filled. The only alternative I se apart from that is to use clear grain filler if you can get that. Crystalac had some that I sill have half a bucket of that work fine with KTM-9. but apart from that I haven't really seen anything like that.

Because not all grain fillers can be stained/dyed & when they can they sometimes end up blotchy. That crystalac looks good but I can't find a local supplier. 15-20 coats is no problem, I'm happy to do however many necessary.

Where did you get those magnets from? And what are the dimensions?

They are just some I've had around the house for years, I'm not even sure where I got them from now,

• 1 month later...

And she's done!!

What have I learnt from this build? - patience pays off. It actually plays better & sounds better than any of the other guitars I have built or bought & they include PRS, Ibanez & Fender.

I took it into work yesterday as some of the playing & non-playing folks wanted to see it. One of the guitar playing guys said that it played & sounded better than his Fender Strat & my boss was speechless (which is unusual!)

I've just looked at the date I started this build thread - Jan 25th 2010! It's a whole year longer than I thought it was, where does the time go?

Anyway - I digress - final specs are....

Wood

Body - Northern Ash with Quilted Maple veneer.

Neck - Indian Rosewood with Honduran Rosewood fretboard, 25.5" scale, 22 stainless steel vintage frets. MOP dot markers. Flamed Maple veneer on h/s face.

Backplate - Flamed Ash

Pickups - Seymour Duncan Custom HB at the bridge & 2 Fender Single coils in the neck & middle postions (middle reverse wound)

Hardware - All gold plated. Synchronised vintage vibrato bridge, locking tuners, Marvel locking strap buttons, pearl white scratchplate. Graphteq nut.

Controls - 1 Volume, 2 Tone. 1 Tone for the neck single coil & 1 for the bridge HB with coil tap on neck tone for HB, 5 way p/up selector switch.

GEDC1017.jpg

GEDC1021.jpg

GEDC1022.jpg

GEDC1027.jpg

GEDC1029.jpg

GEDC1016.jpg

Looks like it came out pretty awesome... for a strat ;)

Must be pretty dang heavy if its northern ash.

Thx killemall - yeah, she's pretty solid . Don't mind heavy guitar's - played my fair share of LP's over the years but these days most of my playing's done sitting down so I don't notice as much lol! I also get it that a lot of people don't like strats - I went thru a phase when I wouldn't have touched one with a barge-pole & ironically it was when everyone else was playing pointy 80's hair & thrash metal guitars that I started playing strats - I think I just wanted to be different lol. I had a strat copy that was one of the best guitars, after I sorted out it's woe's, that I've ever had the fortune to own. I payed next to nothing for it, fixed it up, used it as my main guitar for about 5 years & then sold it for 8 times what I'd payed for it. Within 2 weeks I'd realised I'd made a mistake & tried to buy it back but the guy wouldn't part with it. :( So I vowed to build myself another better one - it just took me a while to get round to it.

When I get chance I'll see if I can find my luggage or fishing scales & weigh it.

She's a beaut all right!

SR

Thx also Scott.

I really appreciate these comments - both coming from builders who have already earned my respect as fantastic builders many times over.

• 2 months later...

Here are some of the pics that were lost in the server crash.

Body after veneering.

BILD1149.jpg

Neck blank after cutting - I picked this up on ebay for £8.50 - bargain!BILD1184.jpg

The 4 fretboards I had available at the time - L-R Wenge, Hond Rw & 2x Mabolo Ebony - I went with the RW which looks surprisingly light coloured in this pic.

BILD1192.jpg

Back of the body.

BILD1205.jpg

Truss rod routed & fitted.

BILD1257.jpg