Project: Super-thin

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tenon cut & routed

it's not guaranteed to be at the final depth yet because I don't have the pickups in hand

wip17.jpg

fretboard radiused, sanded to 320, then wetsanded at 400 with linseed oil

I'm going to wetsand 2-3 more coats, but at 600

wip18.jpg

wip19.jpg

wip20.jpg

also, I got in the turquoise dye this morning

I'm doing some test dyes right now, to be followed with some test finishes

I'll post the pics when I have it all together

tenon cut & routed

it's not guaranteed to be at the final depth yet because I don't have the pickups in hand

I know I can make the pickup heights under the tiesco clone you sent me. I know we talked about surface mount... is it going to be ok if you have to route maybe 3/16" ? (This opens up a range of possibilities)

The design I have will be flat on the bottom but I haven't decided on a bobbin height.

Do you have an estimate of a height range I need to be in?

I know I can make the pickup heights under the tiesco clone you sent me. I know we talked about surface mount... is it going to be ok if you have to route maybe 3/16" ? (This opens up a range of possibilities)

The design I have will be flat on the bottom but I haven't decided on a bobbin height.

Do you have an estimate of a height range I need to be in?

The minimum bridge height is 7/16". I've already stated that I'll be using a pickguard. It's the 3-ply blank from Grizzly. I have no issues with cutting pup holes in the p/g to give a little extra room. With no routing, this should give you about 3/8" total to play with.

That being said, yes I can rout a little, but the less routing the better.

ohn, not usually the hugest fan - aesthetically speaking - of your builds, but this one is looking really good.

wow, that was a double-edged compliment, wasn't it.

It's cool. I know full well that my builds aren't for everyone. I'm not exactly traditional in my tastes. Just the thought of a straight-forward Strat/PRS/LP/whatever clone really bores me to tears.

In fact, the only traditional build I imagine myself doing is the SG clone I'm working on. There might be a Gretsch Jupiter/Thunderbird in there somewhere, but even that shape is so oddball that I can't consider it traditional.

I wetsanded the fretboard with lineed oil at 400, then twice at 600, letting it dry a full day between applications. I then buffed it out to 4000, and decided it didn't look as good as I wanted it too.

Yesterday, I gave it a coat of poly. This morning I wetsanded it at 400, then gave it another coat. It doesn't look like it'll need ANYTHING else at this point. giggidy :D

wip21.jpg

wip22.jpg

Ya know Fraser, that might just work. Let's give it a shot and see what happens!

wip24.jpg

GENIUS!!!!! :D

It seems that I didn't have enough material in front of the zero-fret. When I tried to put in the fret, the end shot across the room. Crap. OK... just a nut this time.

wip23.jpg

I also got the basic contouring of the headstock done.

wip25.jpg

wip26.jpg

I'm trying something different with this neck. First, I took the blank to the final thickness (5/8") before anything was done to it as all. I don't think there will be any heel issues because 1) it's a set neck and 2) I'll be taking nearly nothing from the thickness sitting proud of the body, and 3) I'll be using all surface-mount pups, so nothing will be taken from the tenon.

The second thing I'm trying is during the shaping of the neck. A while back I discovered the "D-Flat" shape, and decided that I really like it in general. So when I started the contouring, I took a big roundover bit to the back. This got the ball rolling very nicely.

wip27.jpg

The third thing is some finessing of the shape. The last two necks I made had identical profiles on both sides of the neck: flat back with rounded edges. The "finger" side and the back of them feel GREAT. The "thumb" side, however, is too much of a ledge... the roundover is too sharp. So this time, I made it asymmetrical.

wip28.jpg

wip29.jpg

I'm really interested in seeing how it plays. It already feels better in my hand than the others.

Yep. I needed to switch to an aerosol first coat.

I DID try spraying the w/b poly first... with the Misto sprayer. It gave me a good even coat, but the atomization wasn't fine enough and left it wet enough to draw the finish out. Switching to a rattle can made all the difference in the world.

While I was testing the spray can, I called Woodcraft. They suggested thinning down my shellac 2:1 to 3:1 and using it as a seal coat. The suggestion was that it wouldn't be enough to green out the color, but would still seal it in. I did as they said, even waiting overnight until I put the w/b over it. Well, it didn't seal it in. The w/b over the top STILL drew the color through. I even tried it with full strength shellac, but even THAT didn't seal the dye in.

Fortunately, a rattle can of w/b lacquer from Auto-Zone did the job perfectly. I'm trying it out right now with a spray can of w/b poly. If that works as well, I'll be able to empty the can onto the body, then use a brush to build the thickness. Otherwise, I'll be getting some more cans of the lacquer. Either way, I know it'll work, so it's safe to proceed.

On a different note, I saw a can of orange automotive lacquer at Auto-Zone that I'll be using on an Airline copy I have on the back burner. Ya don't see many orange guitars without "GRETSCH" on the headstock. The goofy Airline guitars are just begging for a strange finish, so there you go. Add in either a bocote or chechen neck to class it up a bit, some old Tiesco singles, and a Tiesco vibrato and we're good to go!

airline.jpg

wip29.jpg

I'm really interested in seeing how it plays. It already feels better in my hand than the others.

I shape a lot of my necks like this. Not quite as square - but with the shaprer radius @ the bass side & shallower radius on the treble side. Fits more naturaly in your hand. usually plays & feels excellent. But depending on the wood used & how thick it is, you can get something so strong it wont allow any bend in the neck. So you get a bolt straight neck with no releif when strung up. I have a 22mm - 25mm thick neck on a strat made from quater sawn rock maple that is like steel, wont bend at all, even with pressure from the double action rod :D

I cleared that first guitar I did with automotive acrylic lacquer spray cans from Auto Zone. It acts a lot like nitro. One thing though, 6 months after polishing it up it was still shrinking. I probably put too much on, but it's something to keep an eye out for.

SR

that stuff is proabably is pretty much nitro thats what used to be put on cars back in the day befor they started using enamel.

Hey,John.You ever think about adding depth to the finish by using a different color in a transparent color coat over the top of everything?

Those colors provided in those sets are usually fairly "cartoony",and on my Exploder it was way too harsh and not at all what I thought cherry should look like,and I lucked into putting some lemon yellow transparent color coats over the top and then clearing over the whole thing...it really livened up the overall complexity of the finish.Turned it into a matter of "How did you get that color?" rather than "Oh...it's red..."

Just as an experiment,why don't you take a colored piece of scrap the same hue and shoot a lightly yellow trans coat over the top and see how you like it?It should take it just slightly more towards greenish blue and you may be surprised at the difference.It really adds alot of fun to the experimenting too,since you can stain the wood one color and have your color coats be another to combine into a very deep looking finish.

Definately try it out on scrap.But the great thing about using color coats is that you first put a clear over the stain and level that,then your color coats have no chance of bleeding into your stain or leeching any stain out.You build up almost to your desired thickness in clear,then color coat,then clear to desired thickness.

You can separate all of your color coats with layers of clear and create a very deep looking finish that seems to shimmer in the light a bit as you move it around.

... and then maybe steel wool. I night buff it out...

I now have this picture of you in my head wearing a super hero costume roaming the streets buffing out dull objects in the night hahaha.

Chris

That's me - a real-life Kick A$$. I go out at night as Buff man, seeking to buff out crime everywhere. All evildoers must be in the buff. :D

No, I DON'T get out much. Why do you ask?