Rising From The Ash

Yeah.you know...I have several old projects that I built years ago and they really are not good.A couple of them have good necks(like that beast did) so I want to use what I can and destroy the rest.I have a 7 string V which is a 24.75" scale(really great decision there :D ) that I also need to do something with.Probably will take the neck from it,convert it to a 6,and put it on something else..it also has super jumbo frets(hate those now),so It needs refretting anyway.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so... your intonation... isn't... going to be off? This is screwing with my career lol. I could have sworn that fret spacing would be different between a 25.5" and a 24.75".

I guess its a lot more noticable on a bass. I had a customer with a neck for a 37" scale on a body made for a 36", and he was complaining about intonation issues. Come to think of it... the solution was to chop off the last few frets... and it did intonate properly after... I need sleep... or advil.

so... your intonation... isn't... going to be off? This is screwing with my career lol. I could have sworn that fret spacing would be different between a 25.5" and a 24.75".
\

The intonation will be right.Yes the fret spacing is different.It's about shifting the neck back and forth to the proper spot..

I was also just thinking this guitar would be a perfect opportunity to use my LSR roller nut,because the nut width is correct for it,and When I originally made the neck I barely touched the fretboard at the nut end with the sander,and the extra hair you need to shave for a LSR nut would take that away completely.

Yeah...credit=debt as many people have discovered recently.The credit industry really pulled one over on us by convincing us all we needed them,and now that income has shrunk for so many it really becomes a concern.

I lost a lot of sleep over it for many years...it feels nice to be making such progress on that front.

Years ago it was all about buy,buy,buy...now that things are different they have coined a new phrase...it's called "small living"...really it just means living below your income level..the game is to see how far below your income level you can get...but the main difference today is that if you tell someone you are into small living,they automatically know what you mean,and a good few of them admire it.

Don't give up,I want you to understand...for a 25.5 " neck to intonate,all you need is for the string length to be correct,so you slide the heel back away from the bridge until you reach that 25.5" length you need...it is not really 3/4" leftover because of the longer fretboard.you really only have roughly 1/2" leftover...this leaves extra space between the neck pickup and the fretboard end...and you can close some of that with a slightly longer "leftover" after the 22nd fret.

I am still pondering what do do in that leftover space...hopefully this picture will help you see how it works?I am thinking of getting wider than normal neck pup ring to cover the space.I am already going to fill it with wood,but to get a translucent top I need to hide it.

l_619dfc0efb8e4edbbe8c85aa72043794.jpg

The intonation will be right.Yes the fret spacing is different.It's about shifting the neck back and forth to the proper spot.

No one else seems to have a problem with this... so I give up.

proceed.

he isnt changing the scale of the neck he is changing the scale of the body. he had to remove the last frets so the neck would work with the pickup routing.

The intonation will be right.Yes the fret spacing is different.It's about shifting the neck back and forth to the proper spot.

No one else seems to have a problem with this... so I give up.

proceed.

he isnt changing the scale of the neck he is changing the scale of the body. he had to remove the last frets so the neck would work with the pickup routing.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

:D

i like 25.5" scale les pauls. If making from scratch it helps to use a wraparound bridge and place it halfway between where the normal tom and tailpeice would be... that makes it so it still feels very much like a les paul should- the necks about the same length and the bridge is in a close enough position to feel familiar

Maybe the simpest thing to do would be to make a new neck.

Well,the whole project is based around using a great neck from an uncomfortable guitar to bring a half-assed body back to life and try to actually make it look good at the same time...and the whole reason the project even exists is because of that neck going to waste...so no.....it would make more sense to make a new body...but I am not doing that either. :D

Fill the gap with a piece of ebony flush with the body and sand a little concave slope into the end of your fretboard to meet it. With a black pickup ring and the black fretboard, your eye will never pick it out.

Now that is a great idea....When I rout out the rest of that pocket this weekend I will fit in a piece of one of my tougher woods to fill up that gap and replace the wood removed under the neck,and I will take a drop off from one of my other ebony boards and do exactly what you said....might even see if I can't inlay something into it with my bloody jasper recon stone that will match the color of the translucent dark cherry I want to use for the top...

Hmm...what to inlay....

Fill the gap with a piece of ebony flush with the body and sand a little concave slope into the end of your fretboard to meet it. With a black pickup ring and the black fretboard, your eye will never pick it out.

Now that is a great idea....When I rout out the rest of that pocket this weekend I will fit in a piece of one of my tougher woods to fill up that gap and replace the wood removed under the neck,and I will take a drop off from one of my other ebony boards and do exactly what you said....might even see if I can't inlay something into it with my bloody jasper recon stone that will match the color of the translucent dark cherry I want to use for the top...

Hmm...what to inlay....

That's pretty much what I suggested. The mitered corners will give it a nice touch, if you decide to go all the way.

That's pretty much what I suggested. The mitered corners will give it a nice touch, if you decide to go all the way.

I guess it is.I didn't understand what you meant,but I think I picture exactly what Scott was saying,which is just basically a concave ramp up from the humbucker rout up to the fretboard...like a 1/4 pipe ,in skateboard lingo...or 1/2 of a half pipe...

Do you mean like a reverse miter?like at the end closest to the humbucker rout?That would look good,but it would leave some neck wood exposed...

Maybe that is what I can inlay on the end piece...a skateboarder on the "1/4 pipe" :D

Okay..so it's the weekend and back to it.I had hell getting the pocket routed out and adding a new piece in for it,and in retrospect I should have just made a square block and set it in and then rerouted the neck pocket,but I did it this way instead...when I tried to clean it up with a chisel I chipped the little divider part,so I had to chisel a new ledge and epoxy in a nice piece of bubinga...I lowered it so that I can extend the fretboard later.Plenty of small gaps to make fun of inside the humbucker rout,but the rest turned out good :D

l_621ae036d0b64e138fc01040a6a7f9e1.jpg

l_805a51af5e9945b4a6f7014ec515efd1.jpg

Now it is on to removing the rest of the finish.

Okay...finally starting to get somewhere.about 3 hours of hand sanding and 1/2 hour of blacking out the pickup routs and this is where it stands.I also refined the carve a bit..it was more radiused towards the neck pickup than it should have been.

l_9c04aa10671e4664a42a51ff62ffb737.jpg

Next free time I get I am going to be shaping a belly cut and sculpting the heel and cutaway...I believe I am going to do away with binding altogether.

Actually you could, on that I would clear coat to level, let dry, sand level, then do your color coats as toner coats in the finish, I wouldn't recommend doing any coloring to the wood itself on that, I think it'll look splotchy.

But you -could- do it as shader coats, it'll look nice, I've seen guitars like that bursted before. :D