Rhythm King

grain matched cavity cover, complete with fingernail notch

wip25.jpg

Since we had a couple of near 60 degree days this weekend, I sat the veneered body out and sealed the back & c/c with 3 coats of shellac. Of course, the only reason for this was the cocobolo, but it was as good an opportunity as I'll see for a while.

wip26.jpg

I'm giving serious consideration to scrapping this body entirely. I'm not liking the way the veneer isn't completely flat in two places. I'll be leaving it alone for a while to mull it over.

I really hare it when I get ahead of myself. :D I glued the top on before I did the f-holes. Since it won't fit under the scroll saw, I have to either make a template and try and do it with a Dremel or not have them at all.

Either way, it would be easier to do the sunburst before the holes are in there. It wouldn't be that hard to seal the color in with a couple coats of amber shellac before doing any routing.

I really hare it when I get ahead of myself. :D I glued the top on before I did the f-holes. Since it won't fit under the scroll saw, I have to either make a template and try and do it with a Dremel or not have them at all.

I feel your pain. Iv done the exact same thing over & over again. that & drilling holes for earth cable are the 2 kok ups I make constantly.

I realy should highlight them on templates or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an abrupt left turn. I've been searching and looking for something special to do with the fretboard; something that will let me flex my inlay muscle a bit. I know I already had some inlays picked out, but you all know how inspiration cam make things go by the way side. After a few weeks of off & on searching, I got really inspired by this....

handsBW.jpg

Don't even pretend that it's not an iconic piece of art. It'll look really fantastic centered on the 12th fret.

I'm off to pick out some woods! :D

I knew I saw someone do that inlay design before so I had to spend 15mins looking for it. It was actually a member of this site but he only did the hand of God not both arms. That's so much work to get both arms inlaid though, I hope you go through with it because I really want to see how it turns out. Good luck with it!

Here's the guys site in case you wanted to see, its the first piece under fretboard inlays.

http://www.sharkinlay.com/

-Tyler

Light to dark, it's goncalo alves, jatoba, and guyana rosewood.

I'm still unsure what to use for the fretboard. I'm leaning towards maple as that would give a great contrast to the darker woods. The only real issue there is the build is basically a mini-archtop. The maple might not look right on it, but the inlays would get lost in a dark wood.

I agree that the artistic statement of the creation against the black background is appropriate. I'm just not convinced that it would be enough contrast.

go with the black. worst case is it ends up a bit more subtle (and maybe more tasteful :D ) than you originally intended.

and obviously its much easier to get a clean inlay in ebony

i wouldn't go with a border as i would find it distracting