Explorer 2012

Hi!

I have been reading PG for a long time, but haven't managed to start a proper build topic. After learning a mass of technics from here and applying them into own builds, I have reached the point of sharing a project.

A quick history for starters:

2006-2008 swarm of acoustic and electric kanteles. PIC

2007: First guitar build - looked like somekind of warlock-shaped guitar, not much more. Learned to how-not.

2008: Guitar #2 - looked and also sounded like a guitar, kelly-shaped & KL headstock. Liked to play it.

2009: Guitar #3 - Another kelly, first with proper CAD plans, entered also into GOTM (9/2009) to hear some opinions. My favourite and the most beloved instrument so far. PIC

2009: Rebuild of the #1, fixed it completely. Tried to write a topic with it, but didn't lasted. Still unfinished. PIC

2010: Guitar #4, body went unfinished because of a drill accident. Won't be finished in near future.

2011: Bass #1, long project, but managed to finish it. Plays ok, but I found myself not intrested in basses. PIC

2011: Guitar speaker cabinet, 2x12 Eminence Black Powder. Fun build, unfortunately my amp isn't powerful enough. PIC

2012: Guitar #5, imitation of G#3 with improvements. Body is ready, no neck yet.

And the recent project:

Guitar #6 (build #8), my version of classic explorer. At the moment EXP2012 has advanced quite far and I got a bunch of progress pics waiting to be posted.

000.jpg

Some specs:

Body

-Bubinga top, ash bottom, partially chambered

-Cream binding

Bolt-on neck

- laminated maple & walnut

- scarf joint

- bubinga veneer in KL headstock & maple binding

- pre-slotted ebony fingerboard, cream binding

- Custom inlays, stars & deer horns

- Graph Tech saddle

Gold hardware

- Schaller FS-G 495 stringholder

- Schaller STMG Bridge

- Schaller PU frames

- Grover Rotomatics

Electronics

- not decided yet: 3-way in a horn, 2 vol, 1 tone or 3-way, 1 vol, 1 tone

- Seymour Duncan Invaders

And here we go...

Edited by Fagerholm

No turning back to the lurking times anymore.

Build was started in the beginning of March. Neck was laminated and attached with scarf joint earlier in February. The neck was originally meant to another explorer, but due to bubinga veneer it was moved to this project.

001.jpg

Planer bench for router...

002.jpg

... which was used to straightening neck.

Tried with planer, but it just teared wood.

004.jpg

Results were great and I will do these jobs with router from now on.

005.jpg

Trussrod routed.

007.jpg

First mistakes were done during shaping the headstock. All seemed to go well until I stopped to admire my saw-work. Obviously drawing the shape on back of headstock was too much at that time, because I forgot to flip the pic over.

Still this wasn't really a big problem, just change of plans.

Which led to following stages.

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

New headstock construction took some extra hours, but probably made it stronger and saved time in glueing bindings.

Edited by Fagerholm

Meanwhile in body section...

006.jpg

Bubinga splitted and planed.

At this point better camera was purchased.

015.jpg

First usable pic of ash bottom.

016.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

Every clamp in action.

024.jpg

Glued body.

025.jpg

Router template

026.jpg

Shaped

028.jpg

Needs still little sanding.

029.jpg

This was my main workshop for years, nowadays I only do sanding job there.

030.jpg

My current workshop with nice views.

And with these happy feelings I complete this day.

Welcome Fagerlund, looking good! Hope that isn't your current view from your workshop. Looks cold!

Thanks for a warm welcome, great to be able to post here.

Hope that isn't your current view from your workshop. Looks cold!

Workshop is 100% solar heated at the moment :D

After writing a survey about intresting world of bridge waterproofing for whole day, I have to get some guitar talk again.

031.jpg

Planing the headstock with router

032.jpg

Backside

033.jpg

I left 1-2 mm of extra wood just in case.

036.jpg

Rough cut

037.jpg

Headstock template

038.jpg

Attached with screws. Tuning pegs will be drilled later on screw holes.

039.jpg

Shape and fake bindings routed.

Upper screw snapped leaving template on headstock. Removal chipped little wood. Chip was glued back immediatly though it shoud be hidden under the peg sleeve.

043.jpg

Rough shaping with knive and rasp.

044.jpg

045.jpg

This small brick was drilled & carved for trussrod slot.

047.jpg

Attached with glue. There's actually two of them.

048.jpg

Sealed trussrod.

053.jpg

And the neck progress so far.

Wow, that truss rod head is way back in there. You're going to need a flashlight to find it. :D I really like the maple bubinga combination you've got on the head stock and the way the wings and the binding are the same piece. I think I even like the way the head stock looks from the back better now than if it would have one piece. That accident definitely had some bright sides to it.

SR

I agree. Really like the combination of woods and shape of the headstock.

If I may offer a suggestion I'd recommend you change your method of securing the headstock when planing the thickness down with the router. It's only going to take one miscalulation in placement with your router - at best you'll destroy a perfectly good router bit and the piece you're working on, or worse end up with a very messy injury. Ask me how I know (thankfully it was the former for me, not the latter :D )

Wow, that truss rod head is way back in there. You're going to need a flashlight to find it. :D

That's what actually happened, when checking everything is OK. There is still some extra wood on truss rod hole, but a long hex key will be needed.

If I may offer a suggestion I'd recommend you change your method of securing the headstock when planing the thickness down with the router. It's only going to take one miscalulation in placement with your router - at best you'll destroy a perfectly good router bit and the piece you're working on, or worse end up with a very messy injury. Ask me how I know (thankfully it was the former for me, not the latter :D )

You're absolutely right. Routing like that is completely unnecessary risk-taking. I had some reason for it, possibly router and bench dimensions so I trusted in stable hands.

Next weekend I will be probably cutting fretboard inlays.

inlay.jpg

These were the first plans: negative crowns, horns and some bars.

otelauta.jpg

Ended up with these.

051.jpg

Saw this Dremel setup in some thread last week. Many thanks for sharing a great idea! Building took 2 hours with designing and saved costs.

052.jpg

Detail of screw attachment. Will be later replaced with inserts and bolts.

I haven't done this complicated inlays earlier, so they showed great effort to make me crazy. Problems occured with jigsaw until I got it working properly. I should also buy finer sawblades.

059.jpg

Plans were printed on a sticker sheet. After rough cut MOP was finished with Dremel.

060.jpg

After all I'm quite pleased with it. Other inlays will be cut later.

050.jpg

Routing PU holes.

054.jpg

Slot for binding.

055.jpg

Binding job.

057.jpg

Bindings leveled by router.

061.jpg

I decided to place 3-way into horn. Pre holes were drilled trough from top. Then I drilled two marks with 35 mm and 30 mm drills. Bigger 20 mm hole was for router.

062.jpg

After routing the cavity, it was expanded with another bit.

063.jpg

Fitting nicely. Hole will be deepened after carving the top.

064.jpg

Switch from topside.

065.jpg

Electronic's cavity template.

066.jpg

And routed. Have to say router is my favourite power tool, always good time with it (unless it's in angry mood).

Now after hard work, I also need a prize, not beer this time.

067.jpg

"Food brings great taste to chili."

068.jpg

Already had some :D

Not Fagerlund, Fagerholm. :D

:D If only I could read... Välkommen i alla fall!

The best name I ever saw for hot sauce was "Wrath Of God". I wasn't brave enough to try it.

Chili sauce manufacturers seem to have a great imagination. "Ass Blaster" is sold in little cardboard outhouse.

Not Fagerlund, Fagerholm. B)

:D If only I could read... Välkommen i alla fall!

Tack ska du ha och hälsningar från den andra sidan av Finska Viket! :D

Some questions about using inserts:

049.jpg

The upper one in the pic is zink coated M5, lenght 10mm, diameter 7,5mm. I have them also in stainless, and thought to go with them. Haven't used those earlier though.

I have inserts in three sizes, M4, M5 and M6.

What size do you use and is there some notable risks when using them?

Edited by Fagerholm

The upper one in the pic is zink coated M5, lenght 10mm, diameter 7,5mm. I have them also in stainless, and thought to go with them. Haven't used those earlier though.

I have inserts in three sizes, M4, M5 and M6.

What size do you use and is there some notable risks when using them?

Disclaimer: I have NO facts to back this up - only gut instinct.

I'd use the longer ones in stainless. The longer inserts seem like they'd hold better (more surface contact), and the stainless seems like it would be stronger.

I have used stainless and have gone from that to regular steel and haven't noticed a lower quality and I have used long and short verions of the plain steel inserts. And from those solid inserts I have moved to this type:

W59486849.jpg

(hiding the top part under the freat board). Lets remember that the plain steel are soooo much stronger than the traditional wood screw joint. With the simplest plain steel inserts like in the picture I use M6 size and Torx heads, meaning I twist the living daylight out of those screws and not a single insert has let me down over the years. So I'm pretty sure that any one of your inserts will do just fine.